Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Storage Ideas for Rulers ??? >

Storage Ideas for Rulers ???

Storage Ideas for Rulers ???

Old 11-29-2014, 08:28 AM

Question Storage Ideas for Rulers ???

Does anyone have any great storage ideas or things they already use to store rulers? My long ones that I stand up beside my table keep falling to the floor, and the little ones get lost in my storage container that holds everything else !

Rennie
Old 11-29-2014, 08:44 AM

Here's what I did for my rulers. You can see that I use the hooks for other things too. I had considered a pegboard but in hindsight, I'm happy we did this. It cost less than $15.
Attached Thumbnails fullsizerender-1-.jpg  
Old 11-29-2014, 08:47 AM

I have an old wooded magazine rack that my larger rulers stand in, not pretty, but it works and doesn't take up alot of room. I don't have any wall space for them, although I am envious of Ladyjanes!
Old 11-29-2014, 08:49 AM

I sure hope for some solutions for this as well. I've used a wall mounted lid holder for some but those long ones are a pain to corral. I also use one of those slotted boards but fall over if I use some heavier ones on it.
There are some really experienced people here so surely somebody has conquered this problem. I'm happy you asked this.
Old 11-29-2014, 08:50 AM

I hang mine on the wall also, although I just use small nails (brads) and pound them in wherever convenient! I have the ones I use most right over my cutting table. I also have a letter holder for the square rulers on a nearby dresser. This has worked great for me!
Old 11-29-2014, 08:54 AM
Power Poster

I have a peg board across one wall so my rulers hang there. Before the peg board I painted a few nails to match the wall color and hung them that way. The rulers with no holes I got rid of as the old rulers rarely had hanging holes.
Old 11-29-2014, 08:56 AM

Dh bought me a system at Ikea where you attach little horizontal bars to the wall and then put hooks on the bars. I hang all my rulers plus all sorts of things on the hooks. My couple of rows of supplies only take up the space behind the door. I am also very short on space but this works quite well.
Old 11-29-2014, 09:09 AM

I use Command hooks to hand them on the side of my fridge (I sew in the kitchen) but you can put them on a wall or the side of your sewing cabinet.
Old 11-29-2014, 09:14 AM
Power Poster

I put the long ones in a tall, narrow box that sets near a small chest of drawers. Not pretty, but works fairly well. The small ones are more of a challenge. I have some of them in a freezer door ice cube holder. Some of the tiny ones are in recpe card boxes/holders.
Old 11-29-2014, 09:15 AM

For rulers that don't have a hole for hanging, it's a quick and easy job to drill a hole and I've also hung binder clips from a nail or a hook and pinched the ruler in the clip. Just use a bigger clip for heavier rulers. I also have an old letter holder and it works great for the small stuff. It would probably be fine for heavier rulers if I screwed down on a heavier base. Great thread. I'm always looking for easier storage in my small space.