Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Who can draft? >

Who can draft?

Who can draft?

Old 12-03-2014, 03:11 PM

Default Who can draft?

I am no longer a new quilter. But I am not really a "good" quilter. At least I don't think so. People who don't quilt think so. So much that I recently was asked to make one for a friend and she insisted she pay me.

She also is my boss And now wants me to make one for her Niece's wedding. And that is another post altogether....this one is about drafting.

I love the quilt in the below link. But I am scared to death to try to draft a pattern. Can anyone help? You will get credit on the quilt label!!!!! I am just to afraid to do it myself....I know someone out there will be able to whip it out in 2 seconds....

I am at your mercy....Please Please Please help!!! I would love to use fat quarters and it has to be King sized....

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/117234396526409299/

Crystle in Port Washington
Old 12-03-2014, 03:14 PM

If you know someone or someone on this board lives near you its a real easy do on EQ6 or &
Old 12-03-2014, 03:55 PM

Cindy, this is not as difficult as you may think. Just break it down into units. You may never know the size of the quilt on Pinterest, but you can guesstimate.
For fun I like to print out an interesting quilt (like this one that looks complicated but is not) and draw straight lines across the picture to figure out how it was made. Doing this, I see that this quilt is made in two different strips. One is a 4-patch alternated with a 2-piece patch. The other strip is alternating thin and wide rectangles. Drawing on top of a print out shows how so, so many complicated patterns can be reduced to a few squares we are already quite familiar with--and it takes away some of the mystery of how they are sewn. Try it, you may become a drafter of patterns yourself! Good luck.

Grammahunt
Old 12-03-2014, 05:20 PM

Interesting the different ways our brains work. I see only one block repeated multiple times. That block is a modified 9-patch. It is the big rectangle surrounded by strips like you'd sew a log cabin and with different colored squares in the corners. At any rate, I would use 6" x 8" (finished size) big rectangles with 1 1/2" (finished size) strips and then 1 1/2" squares in the corners. I'd make 4 of these from junk/scrap fabric and sew them together to see if I had the proportions correct and then work from there..... Hope this helps!
Old 12-03-2014, 05:24 PM

Like Grammahunt said you could just decide what size you need. Figure the size of the borders and subtract from final size. each block is finished at 6 inches and the alternating shashing with the four patch is finished at 4 inches wide.
15 of the 6" blocks would equal 90" plus 6" border that would make it 102" wide.
It seems as the center block is 6" plus the 4" shashing with four patch would be 10" decide how many rows you need to equal your length.

Good luck, it looks like fun
Old 12-03-2014, 05:29 PM

Hi Crystal.
If you look at this quick sketch - i've put some finished measures on it just to help it make sense.
Start with a strip 10 1/2 wide - and a strip 2 1/2 wide. Sew the strips together and you will get the 2 side strips. (Note...you will have to draft out colors if you want light and dark 2 1/2 squares)
Cut center rectangles 4 1/2 x 8 1/2....Cut end strips 4 1/2 x 2 1/2. Sew end strips to short ends of rectangle - then sew side strips (reversing so that the 2 x 2 squares are at opposite corners.
You have your block....which in this case would be a finished block of 8 x 12 when sewn together with other blocks.
PM me if this still doesn't make sense.....i draft all my own blocks....well ALMOST all.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]501113[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails block-draft.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
block draft.pdf (95.4 KB, 165 views)

Last edited by PenniF; 12-03-2014 at 05:33 PM.
Old 12-03-2014, 05:30 PM

I'm not sure what's going on...trying to post the picture is going a little crazy on me

Last edited by PenniF; 12-03-2014 at 05:34 PM.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:03 PM

I drafted it in EQ. There are 2 blocks. They are the same, but you make one in the blues with brown center and one in the browns w blue center. I like a block size 6" x 8". These are the blocks and the quilt.
Attached Thumbnails squares-w-alt-corners-block1-6x8.jpg   squares-w-alt-corners-block2-6x8.jpg   squares-w-alt-corners-6x8.jpg  
Old 12-03-2014, 06:11 PM

I love the quilt on pinterest. I, too, have EQ7 on my PC and Mac, but do not have a clue how to use it, so I'm sorry I am of no help to you. But I do plan on printing out Rhonda's tutorial on EQ7 and learn how to use it. All these other ladies are full of knowledge and will be happy to help you!!! Go QB!!
Old 12-03-2014, 06:12 PM

These are the rotary cutting files for the 6x8 inch blocks. I was lazy and only used a couple of the colors of the browns & blues. To make the desired effect, you would want to use many blues and browns, but keep the pale & dark colors in the 4 patches in the same places for all blocks.

The 6x8 inch blocks with a 1" stopper border and 3" larger border finishes at 74x80. Let me know if you want the 9x12 version of the quilt and the cutting directions.

Added note. To get the 4 patches as squares, the 9x12" size is better. I'll post that block in a few minutes. I was wrong. For the 9x12, the corner 4 patches are 2" finished. For the 6x8, the corner 4 patches are a 1 1/2" finished square each.

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 12-03-2014 at 06:23 PM.