Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Who can draft? >

Who can draft?

Who can draft?

Old 12-05-2014, 07:34 AM
Power Poster

This is a great idea. You can also print a grid from your computer, and color in a block or two. I've done it that way.
Originally Posted by Grammahunt View Post
Cindy, this is not as difficult as you may think. Just break it down into units. You may never know the size of the quilt on Pinterest, but you can guesstimate.
For fun I like to print out an interesting quilt (like this one that looks complicated but is not) and draw straight lines across the picture to figure out how it was made. Doing this, I see that this quilt is made in two different strips. One is a 4-patch alternated with a 2-piece patch. The other strip is alternating thin and wide rectangles. Drawing on top of a print out shows how so, so many complicated patterns can be reduced to a few squares we are already quite familiar with--and it takes away some of the mystery of how they are sewn. Try it, you may become a drafter of patterns yourself! Good luck.

Grammahunt
Old 12-05-2014, 10:01 AM

Isn't this group the best!?? How awesome of you to draw that up for her!
Old 12-05-2014, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by jgriinke View Post
Isn't this group the best!?? How awesome of you to draw that up for her!
Sooo so true! I look here first before I google any question quilt realted.
Old 12-05-2014, 01:19 PM

Here is a free pattern that looks similar, but has square blocks rather than rectangular. Could you use this?
http://www.favequilts.com/Throws-and...rom-Martingale
Old 12-05-2014, 04:32 PM

Me too! One block only and that doesn't complicate things for me!
Old 12-06-2014, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana View Post
These are the rotary cutting files for the 6x8 inch blocks. I was lazy and only used a couple of the colors of the browns & blues. To make the desired effect, you would want to use many blues and browns, but keep the pale & dark colors in the 4 patches in the same places for all blocks.

The 6x8 inch blocks with a 1" stopper border and 3" larger border finishes at 74x80. Let me know if you want the 9x12 version of the quilt and the cutting directions.

Added note. To get the 4 patches as squares, the 9x12" size is better. I'll post that block in a few minutes. I was wrong. For the 9x12, the corner 4 patches are 2" finished. For the 6x8, the corner 4 patches are a 1 1/2" finished square each.

Barb in Louisiana ~ You are so generous yet again in helping someone with your time in sharing visual guides not to mention suggestions in color placement to reach desired effects! I want to send out a BIG personal thank-you for all that you do to contribute to this forum.

I'm constantly amazed at the generosity of so many on this forum to 'help' those of us that need a little more guidance in this journey called quilting!

Last edited by onaemtnest; 12-06-2014 at 06:34 AM.
Old 12-06-2014, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by onaemtnest View Post

Barb in Louisiana ~ You are so generous yet again in helping someone with your time in sharing visual guides not to mention suggestions in color placement to reach desired effects! I want to send out a BIG personal thank-you for all that you do to contribute to this forum.

I'm constantly amazed at the generosity of so many on this forum to 'help' those of us that need a little more guidance in this journey called quilting!
She really is great! Not only on this board but she has sent me e-mail as well. It has helped so much! I am so grateful for all the people on the board. When I first looked at this and knew it was over my head I also knew someone here could help. This really is a great community to be a part of!
Old 12-06-2014, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Grammahunt View Post
Cindy, this is not as difficult as you may think. Just break it down into units. You may never know the size of the quilt on Pinterest, but you can guesstimate.
For fun I like to print out an interesting quilt (like this one that looks complicated but is not) and draw straight lines across the picture to figure out how it was made. Doing this, I see that this quilt is made in two different strips. One is a 4-patch alternated with a 2-piece patch. The other strip is alternating thin and wide rectangles. Drawing on top of a print out shows how so, so many complicated patterns can be reduced to a few squares we are already quite familiar with--and it takes away some of the mystery of how they are sewn. Try it, you may become a drafter of patterns yourself! Good luck.

Grammahunt
Exactly what I was going to suggest. Pattern is simply bars and 4 patches. print out pic and separate by making lines. This is so simple, you can also do the pieces in about any size you'd like
Old 12-06-2014, 11:26 AM

Very pretty quilt.

All the help and directions are great!

The QB folks are the best.