Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Yardage vs precuts vs FQ? >

Yardage vs precuts vs FQ?

Yardage vs precuts vs FQ?

Old 12-05-2014, 09:37 PM

I've bought very few pre-cuts, and those only when I find them on sale. I'm attracted to fat quarters just visually, I think, and buy quite a few. But mostly I buy yardage, often just because I fall in love with it, having not the slightest idea how I'll use it. I did that when I made all my own clothes, too. I'm just a fabric junky, and sometimes fabric is like a piece of art -- I see it, love it, have to own it!
Old 12-06-2014, 06:11 AM

I never used to buy pre-cuts but then along came MSQC with there daily deals. Wow, Let's just talked about neutrals, you know how hard they are to find, well when there's a sale for $2.95 (+$5.00 shipping = $7.95) I cannot resist. Where else can you find that many assorted pieces that come out that cheap for ~ a yard. Otherwise I still like yardage.
Old 12-06-2014, 07:30 AM

I buy FQ regularly and they have served me well. If I see a fabric that I fall in love with I will buy yardage, 3 yards if I don't have a specific project in mind. This has also served me well over the years. If I have a large quilt and need sashing, also if I want a single piece for the back, then I'll buy yardage. My recent treat was to purchase some FQ from New Zealand at $7.50 per FQ, yeah I know. However, the designs and the colors are amazing and as I have recently made new friends in Australia and New Zealand the fabric will always be a memory for me. To sum it up, pre-cuts are terrific for so many projects that as long as I can fit them in my fabric budget I'll keep buying them.
Old 12-06-2014, 08:16 AM

I have found the pre-cuts to be cut incorrectly. I'd rather go thru the time and effort to cut my own after I've starched the heck out of them. Plus this gives me scraps for scrappy quilts later. Of course when I know I won't use that fabric ever again, then maybe I'll buy them such as the pre-cuts for the Crystal Star by Jinny Beyer. As there were 150 different fabrics for that pattern, it just seemed smarter to buy the pre-cuts as she gives more than you need anyway. Have enough I might be able to make the smaller version of the same pattern. Not a bad deal then.
Old 12-06-2014, 05:26 PM

I generally buy yardage for my stash. If is a specific project, I might buy just the required quantity like I just did for a mystery quilt I'm doing at my LQS. On rare occasions, I have bought charms and jelly rolls.
Old 12-07-2014, 02:22 AM

No more precuts for me, ever. Tonight I was working on something with a layer cake and they aren't all cut right. This is a moda layer cake. How annoying. I guess I need to find patterns for precuts (for the ones I still have) that require cutting them down. Luckily this pattern has some leeway so I can trim all the finished blocks down a bit (hourglass blocks so at least they'll be trimmable).