Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
CANNOT FIND THIS PATTERN Or Figure It Out >

CANNOT FIND THIS PATTERN Or Figure It Out

CANNOT FIND THIS PATTERN Or Figure It Out

Old 12-06-2014, 06:14 AM

Default CANNOT FIND THIS PATTERN Or Figure It Out

I'm hoping someone here can find the pattern for this "Double Snowball" I've looked and looked at the pictures of this and cannot wrap my feeble mind around on how it is pieced.

I confess I'm pattern dependent you wizards out there that can look at pieced quilt and figure it out, or who say "It's easy just draw it out on graph paper" My hat is off to you, I'm not there :0)

So please take a look there are several pictures and let me know if you can direct me to a pattern for this quilt block...once I see the pattern then I can say, "Oh My Goodness" that's a piece of cake OR that's beyond my capabilities at this time!

http://www.pieceandquilt.com/2014/09...all-quilt.html
Old 12-06-2014, 06:19 AM

Well, it looks like you have an octagon (8 sides) in the center. Then the sides (left, right, top and bottom) are straight pieces all of same colour. The corner triangles are three colours--first a strip the same as the sides, then a strip of black and then a strip of the figured. For that part, I would sew the strips together and then cut the 45 degree pieces. You would be working with bias but it shouldn't be that difficult. Very pretty pattern and the quilting really changes the look of the blocks.
Old 12-06-2014, 06:23 AM
Power Poster

Missouri Star Quilt Company has a video on Snowball pattern. I believe the double part was the quilting of snowballs around the center of the snowball.
Old 12-06-2014, 06:33 AM

Sorry, can't help with the pattern part - or at least the sizes involved. Just wanted to say how amazingly the quilting changed the appearance of those blocks. At first glance it looked as though there were circles of fabric in the center and then worked outwards to straight edges. Seeing the pieced quilt prior to quilting showed the piecing really well.
Old 12-06-2014, 06:46 AM
Power Poster

You start with the square of focus square and snowball the corners with a a bright fabric. You then use strips of the same bright fabric to make it a square again. Once it is square again, you snowball the corners with the black pieced unit to make it square again and then sew the squares together into a quilt top. The tricky part would be getting pieced corners exact so they match up when assembled. I might leave off piecing them and do them all one colour.
Old 12-06-2014, 08:18 AM

Here's a visual of the block. The only part I can't quite figure is the exact dimensions of the first snowball corner and the the side borders – the size matters because it makes the border look even when it's done. Maybe someone with EQ can help with that...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]501366[/ATTACH]

Actually, I'd call this a Triple Snowball – there's the pink corner, the black corner, then the yellow corner. Makes a great block!
Attached Thumbnails double-snowball.jpg  
Old 12-06-2014, 08:22 AM

I see it exactly as Tartan does also I agree with making it easier for yourself by leaving off the one part.
Old 12-06-2014, 09:16 AM
Power Poster

what a beautiful quilt... the quilting is stunning
Old 12-06-2014, 11:33 AM
mac

I also agree with Tartan. It's a regular snowball square, within a snowball square. What makes it look so special is the double strip of fabric they used in the outer corners. I can't believe how accurately she got those corners to match!

You would also have to make up a special chart for the color positions of those little corners. It appears that each row of the quilt that the solid corners are (of the four colored corners) are in a different position. Two of the corners are solid and 2 are prints. In one block the solid is on the top next to each other and the two printed colors are on the bottom. In the next row they are reversed. This gives the impression of that the block is harder than it looks.

Snow ball blocks are generally pretty easy. However, this type of layout would drive me bonkers. But, it sure is beautiful when it is put together. Good luck.
Mary Ann
Old 12-06-2014, 12:19 PM

Here's the pattern:

http://www.henryglassfabrics.com/med...ompleteweb.pdf

Some more info here:

http://www.quiltlab.com/search/label/Artful%20Home