Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Unfinished quilt >

Unfinished quilt

Unfinished quilt

Old 12-11-2014, 08:08 AM

Default Unfinished quilt

Here I have a quilt that has been in storage forever unfinished. Like before I even knew how to quilt or anything. I am a self taught quilter. No quilt stores, no computers for advice, I didn't even know anyone that had interest or even know about quilting, but at a dime store they had these pillow panels by the yard, so I bought a lot of them and went to town. I put them together, layered my batting and fabric and started to hand quilt. Well I do not like it, it large, and not finished. My question is that what would you do with such a mess? Cut it up and make something out of it or just turn my head and throw it.
Old 12-11-2014, 08:32 AM

Don't toss it! It will keep someone warm. If you don't want to deal with it, give it to someone who enjoys recreating quilts.
Old 12-11-2014, 09:21 AM
Power Poster

Donate it to a thrift shop
Old 12-11-2014, 09:50 AM
Power Poster

Don't toss it. Find a charity group that works on UFOs for donating to people in need. Check out churches or senior centers. Someone will enjoy it.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:18 AM

I don't know what size your quilt squares are, but I just recently tore a whole queen quilt apart and changed up the pattern. After putting the original together, it did not look pleasing to me with the fabric I had used. I honestly felt I had wasted the beautiful fabric. Fortunately for me, I had used large enough squares that I was able to cut the quilt up rather than trying to unpick the whole thing. It took a lot of work cutting up and squaring up again, but I'm now pleased with the new quilt top.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:54 AM
Power Poster

I agree with donating. Some charities make ugly quilts on purpose to give to homeless people. The ugliness of the quilt deters others from stealing it. However, I sincerely doubt your quilt is ugly enough for that purpose! I have made some quilts I don't like. Donating works well, as it seems there is always somebody who sees beauty or utility in an ugly duckling quilt, even when unfinished.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:06 AM

I hope you don't mind if I chuckle at your self taught project. I did the same thing with my first attempt at quilting. My top was ok but I had never heard of batting so to make it puffy I used polyester stuffing. Couldn't figure out how to smooth it out. What a lumpy mess!!! The baby I made it for is now 42 & I still have that quilt. I plan to take it apart & do it right.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:13 PM

It depends on what you value most of your time to do the work yourself or please pass it on even unfinished. There is also the thread on here to sell or give away your project.

If the fabric is not something you care for anymore or want to repurpose in another project, I would donate it.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:23 PM

Forgive me for butting in, but PATG DON'T TAKE IT APART. Leave it like it is, so you can look back at your work and memories. When you destroy things like that, you are destroying your memories. Keep it! It is precious!
Old 12-11-2014, 07:09 PM

Default Bad quilt

Thanks Barny for the suggestion. I may have to rethink it