Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 42

Thread: My 1st Quilt Top - unfinished

  1. #1
    Super Member CraftsByRobin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    1,152
    As I had stated in my introduction thread, I'm just now learning to quilt. This is my first "official" quilt top. I did this in class, still lack one outside border.

    Not great, but I'm still ... trying :D The quilting class teacher stated my material was very old and of cheaper quality (it was very old and probably cheaper as I bought it over 5 years ago when I was trying to teach myself to quilt). In the town I lived in, the only place to get material was at Walmart.

    Here's a pic ... be easy :D

    [IMG]http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/03152010.jpg[/IMG]

    I am not great at sewing a straight line, and the cutting by hand I did wasn't great either ... but for my first time it wasn't as bad as I thought but sure can be a lot better.

    I'm open for any suggestions on doing better the second time.

  2. #2
    Google Goddess craftybear's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Central Indiana (USA)
    Posts
    30,663
    Blog Entries
    194
    Great job, thanks for sharing!

  3. #3
    kasmitty1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    313
    Awesome! I think it's a great looking first quilt. Oooo-la-la, ain't it fun!! My only suggestion would be to invest in a rotary cutter and a mat. Hand cutting? That makes my hands hurt thinking about that. GREAT job!

  4. #4
    Super Member CraftsByRobin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    1,152
    Sorry didn't mean that "hand cutting" the way it sounded ... I meant with a rotary and mat.

    The second quilt top I'm working on, the place where I'm taking classes cut it with a machine ... I wish I could AFFORD that type of cutter! :)

  5. #5
    Super Member OmaForFour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    1,385
    Blog Entries
    4
    There are two things tht would help you with cutting and sewing straight. They are rather inexpensive also. Ther are:

    Qtools Sewing Edge
    Qtools Cutting edge

    Both are respositionable vinyl stops and are reusable.

    I bought mine from Alicia's Attic www.aliciasattic.com

    There is another tool called Qtools Corner cut 60 to help you sew a perfect scant 1/2 inch. If you buy all three tools, look for the part of the website where all are sold together for a lesser price.

    Good Luck and Happy Quilting!

    Quote Originally Posted by CraftsByRobin
    As I had stated in my introduction thread, I'm just now learning to quilt. This is my first "official" quilt top. I did this in class, still lack one outside border.

    Not great, but I'm still ... trying :D The quilting class teacher stated my material was very old and of cheaper quality (it was very old and probably cheaper as I bought it over 5 years ago when I was trying to teach myself to quilt). In the town I lived in, the only place to get material was at Walmart.

    Here's a pic ... be easy :D

    Quote:
    I am not great at sewing a straight line, and the cutting by hand I did wasn't great either ... but for my first time it wasn't as bad as I thought but sure can be a lot better.

    I'm open for any suggestions on doing better the second time.

  6. #6
    Super Member OmaForFour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    1,385
    Blog Entries
    4
    SORRY THAT SHOULD HAVE READ SCANT 1/4 INCH not 1/2 inch!

    Quote Originally Posted by OmaForFour
    There are two things tht would help you with cutting and sewing straight. They are rather inexpensive also. Ther are:

    Qtools Sewing Edge
    Qtools Cutting edge

    Both are respositionable vinyl stops and are reusable.

    I bought mine from Alicia's Attic www.aliciasattic.com

    There is another tool called Qtools Corner cut 60 to help you sew a perfect scant 1/2 inch. If you buy all three tools, look for the part of the website where all are sold together for a lesser price.

    Good Luck and Happy Quilting!

    Quote Originally Posted by CraftsByRobin
    As I had stated in my introduction thread, I'm just now learning to quilt. This is my first "official" quilt top. I did this in class, still lack one outside border.

    Not great, but I'm still ... trying :D The quilting class teacher stated my material was very old and of cheaper quality (it was very old and probably cheaper as I bought it over 5 years ago when I was trying to teach myself to quilt). In the town I lived in, the only place to get material was at Walmart.

    Here's a pic ... be easy :D

    Quote:
    I am not great at sewing a straight line, and the cutting by hand I did wasn't great either ... but for my first time it wasn't as bad as I thought but sure can be a lot better.

    I'm open for any suggestions on doing better the second time.

  7. #7
    Super Member raptureready's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    5,282
    I think it looks great for a first quilt. If my first one had any 1/4" seams it was just as I was passing through and it was totally by accident. Some of them were a lot closer to 1/2". My corners didn't meet, my points were off in their own directions and stubbed off. Once this is quilted and on a bed no one will notice tiny imperfections so don't point them out. As far a Walmart fabric, I use it too. If it's pre-washed it isn't that bad---sure, it's not as great as $10pr yard stuff but that's for show quilts as far as I'm concerned. I have a quilt my mother made that some of the white fabric is from old nickle Bull Durham bags. (that's old tobacco bags, a nickle bag had enough tobacco and papers to make 5 "roll your own" cigarettes) It's a beautiful quilt and so is yours.

  8. #8
    Super Member Ditter43's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Crystal River Florida
    Posts
    9,770
    The lighting is not too good, but from what I see it looks great!!It's always nice to get that first one done successfully.Now, what are you going to do about quilting it!! t is a very cozy looking quilt....I like it a lot.....Ditter

  9. #9
    paintedquilt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wasaga Beach, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    4,702
    Very nice. Keep practising (sp) :thumbup:

  10. #10
    Gal
    Gal is offline
    Super Member Gal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    New Zealand in the South Pacific
    Posts
    1,117
    A great job, keep going, I have not long ago finished my first quilt, I learn't so much, all of which I shall put into the next quilt!

    Gal

  11. #11
    PJO
    PJO is offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Chetopa, Kansas
    Posts
    239
    I think it looks great!!!!

  12. #12
    Super Member no1jan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    2,094
    I think it is great! I love the country hearts. My first quilt which isn't finished yet has some uneven seams etc. Oh well, I look at it and think I can only do better.

    As they say, you learn from your mistakes!

    Great job!

  13. #13
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Maryville, Tn
    Posts
    1,791
    #1.. 5 years old is NOT old fabric..lol.. I have some in my stash that is 20 years old and it does not affect the quality..
    #2.. anyone who attempts a quilt with strips of printed plaids or rows of squares, is just asking for crookedness..
    NOT because of their cutting abilities.. but because it is not usually printed on a true grain.
    #3.. I'd advise you to be a bit kinder to yourself. I think you did an awesome job.

    As to the quality of the fabric.. you use what you have.. that applies to all of us. and to what you can afford. I say just keep trying.. if you have the desire and determination you can do it. I frequently still use scissors to cut stuff out.. I also use all sorts of rulers, rotary cutters and a rotary ruler.. which is a combination device.. a ruler with an attached rotary cutter.
    It is a timesaver for strips.

  14. #14
    ToucanSam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    1,163
    I think it looks great and you should be really proud! Keep up the good work!

  15. #15
    Super Member tslowery's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    GA Small town in Southeast Ga
    Posts
    1,069
    Ditto Tippy....well said...I think you did a wonderful job and now the bad news...........YOU WONT BE ABLE TO STOP NOW..........LOL

  16. #16
    Super Member sewNso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    S C michigan
    Posts
    2,035
    Blog Entries
    1
    It's beautiful. the important thing is to get it done. you get better with practice. if you get to use it, and see it done. that is motivation to keep doing it.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Lisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    596
    I think it looks great, esp. a first time quilt! Great job. Personally I think the teacher might have been a bit out of line to say what she did in the first place!

  18. #18
    Super Member CraftsByRobin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    1,152
    I thank you all ... this is motivation for me to keep going ... I am hard on myself ... but I realize that it is my first and I've learned SO MUCH ... and this is what I wanted to do ... learn! I've learned quite abit on this board just reading.

    I'm signed up to learn machine quilting (where you put all three layers together) and then later in the month I'll be taking a class on binding.

    Today I went to Half-Priced books and bought me a book called "Encyclopedia of Quilting" by Donna Kooler. It looked really cool, and has 20 projects in it. I hope to learn a few things while checking the book out!

    Anyway, thank you all for the kind words. I'm already working on the next quilt called "Confetti" ... and I'm also wanting to do the BOMs listed on this site.

  19. #19
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    3,393
    It looks real nice to me. Good job. :thumbup:

  20. #20
    Super Member CraftsByRobin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    1,152
    You know ... I just realized what I typed ... hope I didn't offend anyone ... I'm sure you all know what machine quilting is ... (had a duh moment) ...

    I must learn not to type replies while exhausted!

  21. #21
    Super Member janice4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    southern Ca
    Posts
    1,474
    Quote Originally Posted by OmaForFour
    SORRY THAT SHOULD HAVE READ SCANT 1/4 INCH not 1/2 inch!

    Quote Originally Posted by OmaForFour
    There are two things tht would help you with cutting and sewing straight. They are rather inexpensive also. Ther are:

    Qtools Sewing Edge
    Qtools Cutting edge

    Both are respositionable vinyl stops and are reusable.

    I bought mine from Alicia's Attic www.aliciasattic.com

    There is another tool called Qtools Corner cut 60 to help you sew a perfect scant 1/2 inch. If you buy all three tools, look for the part of the website where all are sold together for a lesser price.

    Good Luck and Happy Quilting!

    Quote Originally Posted by CraftsByRobin
    As I had stated in my introduction thread, I'm just now learning to quilt. This is my first "official" quilt top. I did this in class, still lack one outside border.

    Not great, but I'm still ... trying :D The quilting class teacher stated my material was very old and of cheaper quality (it was very old and probably cheaper as I bought it over 5 years ago when I was trying to teach myself to quilt). In the town I lived in, the only place to get material was at Walmart.

    Here's a pic ... be easy :D

    Quote:
    I am not great at sewing a straight line, and the cutting by hand I did wasn't great either ... but for my first time it wasn't as bad as I thought but sure can be a lot better.

    I'm open for any suggestions on doing better the second time.
    I checked this tie and understand how the sewing edge works but how would the cutting edge help? can you explain it to us there is not much on the website. and the seam allowance one as well.

  22. #22
    Super Member GrammaNan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    4,935
    I like it. Finish it and start on your next one. Walmart fabric comes from the same mills a lot of the other fabric comes from. I used it a lot before they downsized the sewing departments. If you look on the ends of the bolts, they are the same. There are higher quality fabrics out there, but I can't afford them very often. In fact, I get most of my fabric at the Goodwill, garage sales and off of Craigslist. I have even been able to get some nice pieces for free.

  23. #23
    Senior Member GrammaNancy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    North West, Washington
    Posts
    415
    Very nice, the colors are pretty. You did good.

  24. #24
    Super Member isnthatodd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Garland, TX
    Posts
    1,955
    The cutting edge help is that you put the vinyl strips on the bottom of the ruler at the appropriate place, then slide the ruler up to the fabric. It helps ensure that the ruler is where you want it. The creator, Marci Baker, also showed my group how to put one at the top edge, so you only have to check the bottom rule to make sure you are square on the fabric. She gave us each 2 strips, but I was using someone else's ruler and mine did not come home with me :cry: So now I need to order some.

  25. #25
    Joe
    Joe is offline
    Junior Member Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Hinsdale NH
    Posts
    167
    I think it looks great and hope my first quilt looks half as good.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.