Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tension problems. Please help! >

Tension problems. Please help!

Tension problems. Please help!

Old 12-30-2014, 12:00 AM

Try threading bottom thread through little hole on bobbin case if it has one. My bernina works better with some threads when I do that,
completely re thread top and bottom from scratch. Sometimes this works with my singer, no idea why .
Do you have same thread top and bottom? Neutralise everything and go slow increasing and decreasing top then bottom until you find a good stitch. This I would only do as an emergency as it takes ages moving one at a time and keeping note.
Old 12-30-2014, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by blzzrdqueen View Post
So I walked away for a while. I just came back and changed both top and bottom threads to a thinner thread and this seems to have stopped the issue. I have never had any problems until now with the previous thread, so I am baffled.
I have gone back and reread all of the posts, and the one thing no one has mentioned, when suddenly having this kind of problem, especially when starting a new project, is have you checked your needle size? Sometimes we forget about 'fixing the seam in the jeans' moments, when we need a heavier needle, and then when we go back to the usual fabric without changing the needle, you can have the problems that you describe.
Old 12-30-2014, 08:52 PM

Sounds simple, but I've done it enough to have finally learned...make sure your presser foot is down!
Old 12-30-2014, 09:46 PM

I had that problem awhile ago and the problem was polyester thread on the top and cotton thread in the bobbin (or vise-versa, can't remember for sure), but when I put the same thread on top and in on the bobbin, it all worked out fine.
Old 12-31-2014, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by marthalou View Post
Sounds simple, but I've done it enough to have finally learned...make sure your presser foot is down!
My machine tells me when I forget to put the foot down. I hate to tell you how often I hear that tone...lol!