Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My machine won't stop sewing sometimes >

My machine won't stop sewing sometimes

My machine won't stop sewing sometimes

Old 01-24-2015, 12:10 AM

Default My machine won't stop sewing sometimes

I have a Janome that is about 4-5 years old. It's done this a little over the years, but lately is worse: sometimes when I take my foot off the foot pedal, it keeps going. Lately it's nearly every time. I've checked to be sure nothing is lodged in it. I've also tried unplugging the foot and using the start/stop button. It was working to do that until tonight. Tonight it not only kept sewing using the button, but after I hit stop or lifted my foot (depending on which method I was trying), it would go FASTER! I turned down the speed & it still sped up. I normally keep my machine off unless I am sewing, but last week I left it on b/c I had adjusted the setting and didn't want to have to reset it. My daughters found it sewing all by itself, so they asked if they could go ahead & turn it off, which of course I let them do.

I looked & the last post I could find on this topic was from 2010, so I thought I'd see if anyone lately has had this happen & if there is an answer for it. Thanks!
Old 01-24-2015, 12:37 AM

I asked DH if he had any experience of this type of thing and he started speaking about how the capacitor is sometimes aligned with the switch, and then went on to resistor pressure...........................

In other words, it needs to be looked at by a sewing machine technician! He thinks you'll probably need a new foot control. In the meantime, he advised keeping it unplugged from the socket when not in use, as the foot controller could overheat. Good luck.
Old 01-24-2015, 12:40 AM

Same thing happened to me. It may be that the foot pedal is filled with lint and thread and hair, causing it to stick. Yes, even though it's enclosed, it happens. You may need to take the foot pedal apart and clean it out. Mine had enough hair in it to make a Barbie wig!
Old 01-24-2015, 01:20 AM

I bought a Janome last year, and last week that started with me too. I leave my machine on sometimes (forget to turn off). I wonder if they have recalls like cars? LOL.
Old 01-24-2015, 03:19 AM

I had this happen to me. My foot pedal had gone bad and had to be replaced. I was lucky it was still under warrantee.
Old 01-24-2015, 05:18 AM
Power Poster

Same here with the foot pedal. It was vintage and Mr. Stitchnripper, who is not handy in general, took it apart and saw where a screw had come loose or something simple. He put it back together and all has been well. So my uneducated guess is that it is the foot pedal.
Old 01-24-2015, 05:29 AM
Power Poster

When mine did that it was my foot but since it also does it when you are not using the foot, it must be inside the machine. A repairman needs to look at it, sorry.
Old 01-24-2015, 05:34 AM

Mine had been doing that a couple of years ago. I have a Janome 6500. I took the foot pedal in to get checked. They took it apart and cleaned it. About a year ago it was doing it again. And occasionally it would act up and show the icon on the screen of the plug in part that goes into the machine. I took the foot pedal back, he looked at it and sold me a new one for $80. But now it is doing it again. Is this just related to Janome's or does it happen with other machines too?
Old 01-24-2015, 05:45 AM
Gay

The same happened to me a few years back. I phoned the technician, he says to check the fuses in the old main power box on the house as one must be burning out. Sure enough 2 days later one blew, and after replacing it I never had the problem again. But I do agree you must have your machine and pedal checked out - you don't want to start a fire.
Old 01-24-2015, 05:55 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Gay View Post
The same happened to me a few years back. I phoned the technician, he says to check the fuses in the old main power box on the house as one must be burning out. Sure enough 2 days later one blew, and after replacing it I never had the problem again. But I do agree you must have your machine and pedal checked out - you don't want to start a fire.
Most homes don't have a heavy enough breaker box to handle all the electrics we use these days at the same time. DH replaced our breaker box last year when one breaker kept tripping, in my sewing room. A tripping breaker is a sign, get a heavier duty breaker box. Some homeowners insurance will say a fire caused by a too weak breaker is owner's negligence and that could cause you a lot of problems if that happens. You know if insurance can find a way out they will use it.