Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Judy Niemeyer VS Jacqueline de Jonge >

Judy Niemeyer VS Jacqueline de Jonge

Judy Niemeyer VS Jacqueline de Jonge

Old 01-29-2015, 07:29 AM

Default Judy Niemeyer VS Jacqueline de Jonge

I belong to a paper piecing club and our next project is a larger quilt that has curves in it. I've done smaller Judy Niemeyer projects but like the looks of Jacqueline's patterns.

Has anyone used both and which do they prefer and why? I need to order my pattern soon so your thoughts and input would be really helpful!
Old 01-29-2015, 07:57 AM
Power Poster

Here's a post from last year:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...e-t241050.html
Old 01-29-2015, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
Thanks! I did a search and it didn't come up!
Old 01-29-2015, 08:32 AM

I have done both, and am currently quilting a deJong that I recently completed. Love them both and will have to say that the Niemeyer directions are probably easier to follow. In the pattern "Celtic Wave" that I did she recommended cutting everything and bagging the strips, etc before starting to sew. I did NOT do that and do not think it is wise to do so because every little bit..no matter how careful we are...can cause the arc to be just enough different that adjustment is necessary when putting it all together. My De Jong pattern that I am working on now is the "Simply Red" which is an older one of hers. I don't know whether she has improved in her instructions, but I did have to convert everything from the metric system, and then some of her instructions had to be really read and reread to understand and interpret. You can go to my gallery and see the two that I have done. One is a Niemeyer bedsize that did make it into the Paducah AQS Show in 2013 and the other is a de Jong wall hanging that I made several years ago. Again, I do not recommend cutting everything up before starting. Any error and the possibility of needing to recut...scares me half to death. What if you have no more fabric??
Old 01-29-2015, 08:48 AM

Thanks Sneed! Both are beautiful! and I appreciate the suggestion about the pre-cutting...I've wondered about that myself! So wait to cut, read, re-read, calculate and cross my fingers!
Old 01-29-2015, 09:33 AM

I would consider myself a less than experienced quilter, a bit over two years of sewing and a dominant hand with fingertips missing, so if I can do either...in this case both, almost anyone can. There are some obvious differences...Niemeyer is usually more geometric and less curvilinear ( until recently) and DeJonge's usually have a vast amount of circles and tight arcs that require a lot of matching. If you have done one of Judy's then you get just how critical it is to keep things organized, not confusing sew lines and a host of other more logical things you forget are essential...until you try of one their respective projects. They both have mistakes and have posted corrections that you likely need to hunt down, some older ones of JDJ lack papers, and Judy's have more specific directions but they can be a bit unclear at times...so pluses and minuses for both of them. I recently chose a Jacqueline DeJonge pattern called Curling Colours: it had a quadzillion triangular pieces, a ton of intersecting curves, made it into a king size and I still slogged through it...and you know how guys are about directions.

Sidebar: about two-thirds through this quilt top I found a method that uses freezer paper ...that is frequently referred to as "flip and sew" and that saved me from tearing away all those pesky pieces of paper. You can convert this technique to employ the papers provided and a re-positional glue stick from an office supply store. I recently posted all the advantages of this method on this board elsewhere... if this is of interest? I also started to employ glue basting, clipping curves and a bunch of cool techniques that I learned from a Craftsy course...that you more experienced quilters likely know, but that also improved my final product.

So the bottom line? They both are not a cake walk, you have to think and not get ahead of yourself...but they each have a distinctive look to their work and that is what either draws us to one or the other...or in my case...both. If you flip a coin you will likely be happy with the results with either of them and if you need more information to fill in the blanks any further...you can drop me a private message, but of you belong to a group that does paper piecing you are likely light years ahead of me.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:53 AM
Power Poster

here is a link to basketman's other posting re: judy N
http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...ml#post7065900
Old 01-29-2015, 10:56 AM

I have done both . Niemeyer patterns have much better directions. DeJonge , if you get an old pattern they do not contain the papers. English is not DeJonges native language and she uses an interpreter for the directions in English. The DeJonge patterns directions have gotten better over the years , but the older patterns have not been adjusted or corrected.

Both have stunning patterns and are not for the faint of heart. Do look at the curves , deep curves are not easy to get perfect especially if its your first one of this type.

Last year DeJonge had a booth at the International Quilt show Chicago.... and her brother ( it think) was there , he explained they have worked through many of the issues we have had with her patterns. Her patterns now contain the papers , but older ones without are still in stores and in some online retailers. So before purchasing be absolutely sure it has the papers, as the patterns are not easily copied or transferred since they use a paper size available in Europe.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:57 AM

I made the Mariner Star from JN and found it very easy to follow (it was my 4th quilt). I have one pattern that I paid a pretty penny for from JDJ and honestly it scares me (and I am now on 3-4 quilts per year over a 10 year period, so not a beginner by any means)!

It is one of the older ones and many of the patterns have to be copied multiple times so that you can cut them apart and use them. That and the language translation issues have stopped me from trying. And the fact that I counted that you need quite a few shades of each color (I seem to remember it was close to 100 total) and one some you needed such a small amount that even a fat qtr was too big.

If I remembered how to post a pic I would post my JN one.....my son was so little in the picture and is now 14 and taller than me! I wouldn't hesitate to do another JN (still have the Wedding/Bali Star pattern but it is one of the older versions)

Last edited by luvspaper; 01-29-2015 at 12:16 PM.
Old 01-29-2015, 01:18 PM

I'm still not certain which I'll do but I knew I could count QB for input!

Basketman; If I decide to do the JdJ I'll send you a PM, the fact that you've already made one really does put you head of me!

Lori & luvspaper; your input is really helpful as well - hope you find and post that picture with your son, they grow so fast! My 12 year old recently eclipsed me and loves bragging about it!

Last edited by SuziSew; 01-29-2015 at 01:20 PM.