Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Which embroidery machine? >

Which embroidery machine?

Which embroidery machine?

Old 02-01-2015, 12:11 PM

Default Which embroidery machine?

Hi all - I am in the market for an embroidery machine. I have never had one, and it is confusing to know which model to buy. There is such a price range, and I don't want to buy cheap and then be sorry. On the other hand, expense is an issue.

i have a Janome 1860 and a Juki 2010Q, so would mainly use the embroidery machine to make labels and small embellishments.

i appreciate your knowledge and assistance.
Old 02-01-2015, 12:19 PM

I suggest you visit various dealers and test-drive several machines. Also, right now you may think you would just need a machine with a small hoop but, what if you find you love doing embroidery? I'd say go with the machine at your price point that has the largest hoop available.
Old 02-01-2015, 12:45 PM

If this is your first embroidery machine, you may not really know what functions you'd like in a machine. Some machines are embroidery only and others are embroidery/sewing combo. If you have a friend who does machine embroidery, you might ask if you can watch her use her machine and ask what she likes in a machine. You have to remember that you'll need embroidery thread (either rayon or poly), embroidery needles, and a variety of stabilizers, purchase designs, and hoops. If a machine only has one hoop that goes with it, often it costs extra to get a different size hoop. I usually sew designs that are 4x4 or 5x7, however, there are bigger hoops that are nice to have too. So you'll need to have some money for that too.

I prefer machines that have a bobbin under the machine. That way I don't have to move the project if the bobbin runs out of thread. Don't be afraid to buy a used machine if your dealer has one and guarantees that it works correctly. Quite often people who own a perfectly good machine will trade in their old machine just to get the newer model. One of the most important things to keep in mind is that if you don't buy from a dealer that seems willing to help you along the way, or let you phone if you have a problem, and is eager to give you support as you learn, and give classes, you'll be sorry. There's a lot to learn with these machines and being able to get help when you need it is important. If it is a toss up between two machines, go with the dealer who you think will provide you better service.

Do some research online to get an idea as to what is out there. Some websites have charts that compare one machine to another and lists all the functions in that line.

I really love machine embroidery and am looking forward to the day I feel confident about incorporating it into my quilting.
Old 02-01-2015, 02:01 PM
Power Poster

Can you visit a large quilt show? There will be many dealers selling their machines and it would be a one stop shopping where you could find out which machines have the features you want. All I know is that you don't want to get one with a small hoop.
Old 02-01-2015, 03:44 PM

Whatever you buy make sure you get one where you have a larger hoop. I bought a Brother's entry level embroidery and sewing machine. I love the machine, but I can only embroidery small things since it only has the capacity to do a 4 X 4 inch hooping.
Old 02-01-2015, 04:09 PM

Agreed with the others, get the biggest hoop you can. You may do more with the machine later as you get more involved than you think at this time. So buy the best you can. I wouldn't be afraid to buy used if you know exactly what you are getting. Do your homework before buying. I hear a lot of good about brother embroidery machines, I have a janome though.
Old 02-01-2015, 04:27 PM

Buy from a dealer that you have a good report with. Make sure they offer classes and support. Go to the store, try out the machines and talk to others that have purchased from the dealer. I purchased my first embroidery machine from a sew expo and my local dealer would not help me. The next machine was a lemon and I had to drive 4 hours for service. Finally, I found a great dealer! She took the lemon as a trade in and gives me fantastic support. There is a tech every week at the shop for repairs and service. I just have to ask for lessons and she will set them up. Some are free and some I pay for. I have learned SOOOOO much from this dealer and I support her as much as I can. To me a dealer is everything!!! A good dealer will help you learn and explain all the extras you will need or want. Establish good communication with your dealer. It is really the back bone of all there is to come.
Old 02-01-2015, 04:32 PM

I have the Husqvarna Topaz 20 - it was a floor model so I got a great discount and I love it. It has the the hoop larger than a 5 x 7, not sure but think it is 8 by 12 ( 200mm by 260mm). Anyway, it came with the same warranty as new, and I am considering getting the hoop with the magnets. It also came with the 4 x 4 hoop and you can buy a smaller hoop (not sure why I would want a smaller one - but it is available). I do wish that I had access to Disney - which is legally only available to Brother machines. My friend got the Brother PE 770 so she will let me use it and I let her use mine when needed.

So go on the various embroidery websites and see what options you have and go check out the various machines. I really do suggest if you think all you want is 4 x 4 then upgrade to 5 x 7 because it takes very little time before those designs call your name. And those t-shirts and blouses and table runners and Irish Chain blocks and on and on that would be just perfect with that one design.

And the thread - there are so many beautiful colors..... I am still learning about stabilizers and the best way to use them. So go and talk with the shops and see what you like best.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:35 PM

I bought a Viking Rose in about 2001; it was a computerized sewing and embroidery machine. Embroidery seemed so cool...but it turned out to be very expensive (threads, stabilizers, design files, computer programs to convert or edit designs) and often frustrating--embellishing a t-shirt and on the last color the thread bunches or breaks or ... Also, the Rose had a 4x4" embroidery field, and it was a big hassle to use the multi-position hoop to make things bigger. I ended up rarely using the embroidery system.

Anyway, fast forward to 2 years ago. My Rose developed a problem with its touch pad, and rather than spending hundreds of dollars on repairs, and still having an old machine, I got a new quilting only machine (Brother VQ3000) and then spent about $600 on a Brother Designio DZ820E. It accepts a USB drive (no more converter box or expensive cards), and comes with a 5x7 hoop as well as 4x4 and a little 2" round hoop. It's also got a needle threader.

I knew that all I'd want to do would occasional monogramming, small designs, and quilt labels, and the DZ820E is working really well for that. (Note that a lot of the Brother machines include Disney designs--for more $$. This one doesn't.)

So as people are saying--4x4" only is probably too small. If you know you'll want to do huge designs then spend the $$ to get a machine that will do those. But if you know you just want to do small embellishments, etc. you can do well for under $1000.

Best wishes,
Hallie in NM
Old 02-01-2015, 08:41 PM

I just happened upon this on Pinterest. Might give some insight on things to look or think about when buying an embroidery machine.

http://www.urbanthreads.com/tutorial...oidery+Machine