Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Large ironing surface >

Large ironing surface

Large ironing surface

Old 02-03-2015, 06:59 PM

Default Large ironing surface

I have just the standard ironing board. Would I really would like are some ideas for a larger ironing surface. Any suggestions are welcome.
Thank you
sue
Old 02-03-2015, 07:14 PM

A friends hubby made her a big board. She is able to remove or keep on when needed.

Here is a link ~ https://wildonionstudio.wordpress.co...-board-topper/
Old 02-03-2015, 07:19 PM

A friend and I made our larger ironing services with a piece of plywood, a few 1 x 1 boards, cotton batting, and cotton fabric. What we did was take the plywood and put the ironing board in the middle of it and traced the ironing board. We then attached the 1"x1" boards to frame the ironing board so that the plywood would sit on top of the it without sliding. Then we put 2 layers of cotton batting on the board (we used a spray adhesive so it would not move), then we put the fabric on top and stapled it down tight. Some people use the insulated batting like the kind you use in potholders, but we didn't think it was necessary since we used 100% cotton batting. (3 years later it still looks great.)

We bought a standard size of plywood then cut it in half and each made the ironing board. It is wide enough to iron the width of fabric and not to far to reach across when ironing.
Old 02-03-2015, 07:37 PM

You can buy some under flooring at Lowe's or Home Depot in 24" square or 24" by 48". Sew a couple of old towels together into an envelope and slide the flooring into it, then make a decorative cover like a pillowcase that you can take off and wash when needed. We bought some decorator weight fabric on clearance at Joann for ours. The whole project cost about $20. It's wide enough to press a whole width of fabric at a time. It sits on a counter or on our cutting surface, then slides out of the way when we don't need it. [ATTACH=CONFIG]508684[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 02-04-2015, 03:29 AM

Thank you ladies for the wonderful ideas.
Old 02-04-2015, 04:32 AM

I love my "Big Board" that I purchased in the late 1990's. It sets on top of a regular ironing board, so it is easy to adjust the height. It is the same width as my cutting board. I set it up to the right of my sewing machine cabinet to make an L shaped work space. I do all my ironing on it as there are less wrinkles when you don't have the pointy part of the regular ironing board.
Old 02-04-2015, 05:06 AM

I was able to get a base 2 door cabinet from a kitchen remodel (Habitat for Humanity thrift store. Cut a piece of heavy particle board about 4 inches larger on all sides, covered with old cotton mattress pad, then with the silver Teflon fabric from Joann's. It is perfect height for me, plus gives more storage.
Old 02-04-2015, 06:22 AM
Power Poster

I bought two Sterilite drawers for my Xmas present of 2013 from Walmart when they were on sale. Just used a pressed board bought at Home Depot. Love the large ironing boards from June Taylor over a decade ago that I bought when JAF discontinued and marked the price down CHEAP!!
Attached Thumbnails sterlite-drawers-ironingboard.jpg  
Old 02-04-2015, 11:51 AM

I had been meaning to ask my son to make me one of these, but knew that it would be one of those "when I can get around to it" projects for him. Then he asked me what I wanted as a Christmas present from my two grandsons. I said I wanted one of these and would send him the instructions. Well, I got it for Christmas, and I love it. And this is the same tutorial I sent him.

Originally Posted by grammy Dwynn View Post
A friends hubby made her a big board. She is able to remove or keep on when needed.

Here is a link ~ https://wildonionstudio.wordpress.co...-board-topper/
Old 02-04-2015, 12:00 PM

Great ideas people. Nothing drives me more bugnuts than the pointy end of the ironing board. Just give me a nice 48x20 rectangular surface to iron on.

tim in san jose