Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Large ironing surface >

Large ironing surface

Large ironing surface

Old 02-04-2015, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by k_jupiter View Post
Great ideas people. Nothing drives me more bugnuts than the pointy end of the ironing board. Just give me a nice 48x20 rectangular surface to iron on.

tim in san jose
You won't have to put up with the pointy end if you turn the ironing board around and use the pointy end for home base for your iron. I don't see a need for the pointy end unless you are ironing jean or shirts. and don't do either of those.
Old 02-04-2015, 04:49 PM

I purchased a kitchen island at a thrift store for 75.00 I covered it with muslin, batting then ironing board cover fabric.
Old 02-04-2015, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Barb_MO View Post
You won't have to put up with the pointy end if you turn the ironing board around and use the pointy end for home base for your iron. I don't see a need for the pointy end unless you are ironing jean or shirts. and don't do either of those.
Ah yes, but fabric 42 inches across, non-pointy end of ironing board 36 inches. Me needs 48 inches at least.

tim in san jose
Old 02-04-2015, 08:46 PM

My husband made me a big board to go over my ironing board. This Christmas he built me a storage cabinet to go under it- I love, love, love it!!
!![ATTACH=CONFIG]508862[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 02-04-2015, 09:19 PM

My husband made me a big board. I love it. It is heavy and collapsed my old ironing board so bought another used one. It's about 3 years old now and leaning so will have to look for another one. I don't want to be without it.
Old 02-05-2015, 04:41 AM

Grammy D, this is a wonderful idea. I have a nephew that could do this in a flash for his quilty auntie!
Old 02-05-2015, 05:12 AM

My DH also made a big board which I covered with cotton batting and ironing fabric. On a periodic basis, I change the fabric. It sat on my ironing board originally, and it now sits on a long dresser (with lots of storage space!) which I found in a thrift store.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:46 AM

I took a piece of plywood 24 x 48, added some padding (an old flannel flat sheet, folded) added a cover & voila. I did not want to put it on top of my ironing board (I tried it but I have carpet & it tipped on the width side while pressing). I bought a wooden cabinet with wicker storage drawers & put the big board on top of that. Works perfectly for me & when I don't want it out it slips behind the cabinet which is about 8" out from the wall. I rarely put it away because I use it all the time. One of the best gifts I ever gave myself.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I bought two Sterilite drawers for my Xmas present of 2013 from Walmart when they were on sale. Just used a pressed board bought at Home Depot. Love the large ironing boards from June Taylor over a decade ago that I bought when JAF discontinued and marked the price down CHEAP!!
I copied maniac quilter 2's idea and bought the same storage bins at walmart, a big piece of plywood at home depot, covered it with a big towel, then some batting and a pretty cotton top. Its wonderful, and the bins hold a lot of fabric.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:03 AM

I crushed my wobbly ironing board and never looked back. Out to the recycle bin!
I got a double layer of warm and natural batting with heavy weight but not canvas cotton fabric from Joann's on top, put it on a 24x60" laminate-topped table - the top is washable so if it gets gunky or ink-smears or whatever I throw it in the wash. I made it oversized and I just pin it in place under the table. (making an elastic band around the edge seems like too much work! LOL) If I have to do major cutting, I whisk it right off, fold up, and set up the big cutting mat. For smaller projects I use a Steady Betty and a smaller cutting mat right on top of the table or on top of the ironing pad, which ever is in place at the time. It's on sliders so I can push it against the wall or pull it out into the middle of the room and use all sides. I have three of those plastic on-wheels 3-drawer things from Bed-Bath-Beyond left over from kids college days and I use them for fabric. I hang my rulers off one end of the table on hooks. Sounds weird but it gives me a lot of flexibility with just one piece of furniture. The other piece of furniture is the desk I use for quilting.