Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do I hide my beginning and ending threads? >

How do I hide my beginning and ending threads?

How do I hide my beginning and ending threads?

Old 02-08-2015, 01:10 PM

Default How do I hide my beginning and ending threads?

Hello friends! Well, I'm ready to quilt my first grand baby's quilt. I've used my sweet DIL's design for a very geometric quilt. I've decided on the quilting design and am ready to quilt... GULP!!! I'm using my Bernina 750QE...but I'm panicking just a bit on how, exactly, to hide that beginning and ending thread? The negative space is all white... plain white!!! HELP PLEASE???!!!???
Old 02-08-2015, 01:24 PM
Power Poster

Can you bury it in the ditch? I Googled your machine. There is a good video of it being used. Quite a few videos on it in fact. May have answers you want and of course some ideas from other QB members. I just have always seen a couple of backstitches to hide the threads.
Old 02-08-2015, 02:07 PM
Power Poster

Make sure you pull up your bobbin thread when you start. You can do a couple back stitches, do a couple of really teeny tiny stitches, if your machine has a 'fix' or 'knot' feature you can use that, but some folks don't like the way the knot looks on the back. You can also hand knot the threads, thread them on a hand needle, then bury them in the quilt layers like you would for hand quilting.
I would make a test sandwich with some scraps and try several methods to see which one you prefer.
Old 02-08-2015, 03:13 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I start and end a line of quilting (that can not be started off the edge of a border) by making 4-5 tiny stitches, then quickly increasing to the regular stitch length. I dial down to 1 then up to 3.5 or 4 stitch length.

Jan in VA
Old 02-08-2015, 03:23 PM

Pulling upi the bobbin thread puts all the threads on the face of the quilt. Not pulling them up puts them on the back. In my teeny tiny mind, it is a "Who cares?" . After I have finished the binding on the quilt, I take all the top thread ends, sit there with short eyeless needle and a glass of wine and bury them in the ditch (or across if the fabric is opaque), pull the needle out an inch or two away, then trim off the excess. All the tops threads are buried. Turn the quilt over, get another glass of wine, and do the same with the bobbin threads hanging out. No threads ever work their way out. I then wash the quilt and that seals the threads into the batting. Baptists on the list can substitute grape juice. tim in san jose p.s. I use white wine.

Last edited by k_jupiter; 02-08-2015 at 03:27 PM. Reason: added idea
Old 02-08-2015, 03:37 PM

I like k_jupiter's method; especially the wine part. LOL
Seriously, for me this is the way to do it; there isn't any odd multiple stacking of thread in places.
Old 02-08-2015, 06:03 PM

One way to hide to hide the threads is to bring the hand sew them in and I have seen a video were they pull the bottom thread up and the lady cut off both threads.
Old 02-08-2015, 06:09 PM

I pull bobbin thread to top, tie threads in a knot about 1/8 inch from quilt surface, thread needle, and put needle into quilt sandwich right below knot, have needle come back out a couple inches away… pull thread through and gently tug so knot pops into center of quilt sandwich, trim off ends.
Old 02-08-2015, 07:26 PM

Oh friends...thank you!! Tessagin, I had no idea all those videos were available!! Thank you!! I learned a LOT today! And I love Tim in San Jose's plan, too!! But get this... I'm Baptist!! ha ha ha!! Your message made me laugh!! Thanks all... I guess I'd better do a little practicing prior to the "real thing!" Here goes... Love you all!!!
Old 02-09-2015, 05:34 AM
Power Poster

I make a few small stitches and try hiding them in the ditch.