Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is your "must have" quilting tool? >

What is your "must have" quilting tool?

What is your "must have" quilting tool?

Old 02-14-2015, 10:07 AM

My smallest seam ripper. It has a sharp point instead of a rounded point so it is easy to get under a stitch to cut it.
Old 02-14-2015, 10:51 AM

Mat, ruler, rotary cutter and seam rippers. Those are the ones I use for pretty much every project. I have a martelli mat but had fiskars before and was happy with those too. Fiskars or martelli rotary cutters and omni grid cutting rulers. I like the seam ripper with the rubbery ends for pulling out the cut threads.
Old 02-14-2015, 10:59 AM

Square up acrylic squares (12.5 and 6.5 inch) and my scissors, even though I mostly rotary cut, I love the fiskars brand spring loaded scissors.
Old 02-14-2015, 11:01 AM

I'm not one for buying 'gadgets', but I splurged during a sale and bought a rotating mat. I don't know how I worked without it. Another extra I bought was a bobbin winder. Seems silly (and lazy) but I like not having to rethread the machine - it's also very fast to wind several bobbins before a project.
Old 02-14-2015, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
If all you have is a mat and the cutter, no wonder you are not happy with it. Get a latex ruler, maybe 3 x 18 or 6 x 24 inches, and use that on the mat with your cutter. There are many online videos that demonstrate how to use a rotary cutter and ruler. It's so much faster and more accurate than scissors!
I agree with sewbizgirl. And when you get your ruler also get Dritz Omnigrid Invisi-Grip. It comes on a roll and I have it on all my rulers to keep them from sliding on the fabric. My 6 x 24 inch ruler with the grip on the back is my favorite tool to use with my mat and rotary cutter.
Old 02-14-2015, 11:51 AM

What is a latex ruler? I think all of mine are acrylic plastic.
Old 02-14-2015, 11:59 AM

I mostly use the June Tailor Shape Cut, the 6.5 x 12 Omni grid ruler, the 6.5 x 24 Omnigrid ruler, rotary cutter & mat. I also like the Blok Loc squares for squaring up, and the Quilt in a Day triangle trimmer for trimming half square triangle blocks. I keep a pair of tweezers and thread snips by machine along with a wooden skewer for guiding the fabric, and last but not least, a good seam ripper. I want some of the Deb Tucker rulers because I've heard good things about them. I have a lot of specialty rulers that I have bought, but use them seldom.
Old 02-14-2015, 02:09 PM

My chalk pounce and stencils for quilting designs. Beeswax for the quilting thread. Rulers, big and small for cutting and design. Design board for auditioning pieced blocks. My very most favorite item, Vonda's Quilt Frames.
Old 02-14-2015, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
I love the june tailor shape cut plus for strips. I also like my 5x18 ruler. Creative grids is a good brand similar to the brand I use that has been discontinued. Those are the 2 rulers I use the most and then I have squares of several sizes for squaring up blocks. My fave rotary cutters are olfa. I have the 45mm splash and the 60mm quick change. Also have the 45mm gingher which I also love better than my ergonomic 45mm olfa. I still use june tailor mat but want to invest in a martelli because there mats are the nicest IMHO. Deb tucker makes nice specialty rulers but they are pricey. It really depends on what type of quilts you make. I also like the slidelock, got one for valentines, can't wait for it to come in, been wanting it for so long.
Thanks for this suggestion - went to check it out and had to buy it.
Old 02-14-2015, 04:54 PM

I love my June Tailor's Shape cut ruler and Deb tucker's rulers and the clover Chaco liner pen style markers. I use most all my tools but these are my favorite. I would like to have the Two slide lock rulers but they are kind of pricey.