Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is your "must have" quilting tool? >

What is your "must have" quilting tool?

What is your "must have" quilting tool?

Old 02-14-2015, 05:46 PM

Chocolate!!!!
Seriously, good rotary cutter, extra blades, a good mat and a couple or so rulers. Just what everybody has already said here.
Several seam rippers, too. I have about 5 or 6 and I keep them in various locations so I can unsew in several areas not just in the sewing area.
Thread, various colors, and a brand (s) that both you and your machine like to use. Lots of bobbins, if at all possible. Good needles in correct sizes.

Last edited by chris_quilts; 02-14-2015 at 05:48 PM.
Old 02-14-2015, 07:22 PM
Power Poster

Other then my basic sewing tools ( my list of basics is very long) I have to have my Go and dies. If my Go broke tomorrow I'd have another one tomorrow night. I consider the SlideLock ruler a safety have to have, not a luxury item.
Old 02-14-2015, 08:35 PM

I love my battery powered seam ripper! It is my favorite "School Supply"
Old 02-15-2015, 04:21 AM

I love my accuquilt cutter, too. I have made many quilts that I would never have even tried without my accuquilt cutter. Who wants to cut 150 -200 or more 2 1/2" strips or squares with a rotary cutter? I think the strip cutters are the bread and butter of the cutter. You can cut binding, sashing, borders, squares, diamonds and probably more with the strip cutters. I also love the block dies, like the Hunter's Star, or Drunkard's Path, or Winding Ways blocks. Wouldn't even consider making those quilts without my GO cutter. It's so much easier than using templates or speciality rulers, and so much more accurate, too.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:05 AM

My 3 x 24 ruler, my Fiskar's rotary cutter and the champion of them all; ta da the seam ripper.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:23 AM

I thought about this, and I would say my " must have" quilting tools would be my graph paper and colored pencils, pens, and crayons. I like designing my own quilts. I have even copied others' antique quilts to paper and instructions, so they could remake them. It is a relaxing activity for me.
Old 02-15-2015, 01:37 PM

I'm seriously attached to my red Fiskars rotary cutter, and my brown Clover seam ripper. I find an old flat-tipped eyebrow tweezer great for removing stitiches I've ripped out b/c I don't have the finger dexterity I used to have.
Other items I find so useful: a wrist pincushion that has a soft fabric velcro fastener/bracelet, not that awful hard plastic bracelet; the chalk marker pen with white chalk...NOT yellow chalk which is hard to brush out; fine Clover pins. I think Clover products made for sharpness are very sharp. And, finally, one of those sticky tape rollers, great for cleaning up.
I send you good wishes to find "favorites" as you go along your way in one of the best hobbies you can have. Blessings, Angela
Old 02-15-2015, 04:57 PM

Default Must haves

Originally Posted by k_jupiter View Post
I have a pair of scissors. I trim threads with it. Fabric is always cut on a mat with a 6x24 ruler and a large angled rotary cutter. Saves on the wrist. i have no idea how you would cut straight lines without this set up.

As far as 'must have', groovy boards for my long arm. I now make them myself in my shop. I guess I have turned into a sophisticated quilter. tim in san jose
Hi, can you please tell me how you make your own groovey boards? I would love to know so maybe me and mom could make some. Or are you interested in making and selling some? IF you want to email you can [email protected]. Thank you
Old 02-15-2015, 05:02 PM

My favorite tools are the 6 x 12 Olfa frosted ruler, new blades in the rotary cutter, my tucker trimmer, my 4" sharp scissors and a glass of wine. Oh, and my stiletto. tool, not heels.
Old 02-15-2015, 05:32 PM

I don't think I need any of those rulers but I sure like the inner border on her quilt.