Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thread keeps breaking on Pfaff 2.0 Expressions >

Thread keeps breaking on Pfaff 2.0 Expressions

Thread keeps breaking on Pfaff 2.0 Expressions

Old 02-21-2015, 01:45 AM

Default Thread keeps breaking on Pfaff 2.0 Expressions

My thread keeps breaking when I sew and sometimes the needle. My machine is cleaned and I need help figuring out what"s wrong. I would appreciate any information you could give me. This happens when I piece material for a quilt. Thank you
Old 02-21-2015, 04:41 AM

First thing I'd do is to completely unthread the machine, then re-thread it paying close attention to each step as you go. Then maybe check that your needle is in correctly. Hope this helps
Old 02-21-2015, 05:05 AM

When does it happen - when just sewing or when quilting? If when quilting and you are using spray baste, it can gum up the needle and do that. If when just sewing, it could be that the thread isn't pulling through properly or may not be threaded correctly. Also, check the edges of the spool itself also. Some of my older ones, like the old style Coats & Clark had a notch that the thread would catch on. I used an emery board to smooth it out.
Old 02-21-2015, 05:23 AM
Power Poster

What thread brand/weight/content and needle size & type are you using?
My first guess would be the upper tension is way too high, but start with the basics. Unthread completely and clean. Pay special attention to the tension discs, flossing them to make sure there's no thread or lint between them. Even if you have had your machine for a while, get the manual out & rethread using the instructions. Wind a new bobbin, and insert a new needle, going up one size.
If you are still getting breakage, try lowering the upper tension. Also, make sure that you are not pushing or pulling the fabric as you sew. Let the feed dogs do the work.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:58 AM

Sometimes bobbins will get warped over time and will break the thread or the needle. Use new everything like others have suggested. Some machines flat out don't like certain types of thread so you have to weed those out of your stash. I put my thread on a separate holder farther away from the machine and that helps sometimes with some of those difficult thread.