Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My Quilting Manifesto >

My Quilting Manifesto

My Quilting Manifesto

Old 03-01-2015, 10:04 AM

Quilting is my fun and relaxation. You have put a business like sound to some of my thoughts on my stash. I have been mostly sewing from my stash for over a year. I do find I need blenders to put together most of my quilts as that is not what I tend to buy. I have been trying to use some of my (ugly to me) fabric that is not me ,that other people like to make donation quilts. I was given a bunch of it several years ago. I am tired of it staring at me from my stash. When I make the quilts people love them. I don't enjoys making them because I don't like the fabric. My guild is having an auction as a fundraiser and I have them all packed up to take. I will continue to make donation quilts just ones that I enjoy making. We also have an auction at our retreat and I plan on getting rid of some more of the fabric that is not me! Also some patterns.
I think most of us pretty much agree with the manifesto, just not in such business like terms.
Old 03-01-2015, 11:15 AM

I've only been quilting since Oct., 2014, and primarily make charity quilts. I agree ... all quilts (even charity quilts) should be made well.

I started out with this in mind: only buy enough fabric to make 2 quilts. I read on this Board that a lot of folks select the backing fabric after they have made the top. I find an interesting print for the back and then select other fabrics to go with it for the top (usually w/a pattern in mind). This helps me stay excited about the fabrics and completing the quilt...and keeps me from having a large stash. The exception to this was in December when Hancock's had such great sales + add'l coupons (I bought enough to make 4 quilts - LOL).

My current dilemma ... I have fabrics for 2 quilts I am working on but I changed patterns "after" purchasing my fabrics and now I can't find more of these fabrics to finish 1 of them. Lesson learned. I usually complete 1 quilt before starting another. This works well for "me". I tried a new pattern and decided it was too time consuming & laid it aside. Did the same thing with 2 other quilts and now I can't get excited about working on any of them ... but I will because I just can't justify buying more fabric until these are finished.

I know some live far away from a fabric store and probably like to stock up. I have 3 stores within 10-15 minutes of my home so this makes it easier for "me" to keep my stash small.
Old 03-01-2015, 04:26 PM

An excellent post! I love batiks and super bright ones at that. You can't find them all over as everyone orders different types, so on a tour of the south with my husband he encouraged me to buy all I wanted; and I did! And I'm not sorry for it either, lol. Now I have a plethora of choices for every project I turn my hand to.
Old 03-01-2015, 04:36 PM

I'm a fabriholic! This condition is not covered in the SOP's.Sorry!
Old 03-02-2015, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
Such a business-like approach to quilting would not be fun for me.
I agree. When a hobby becomes a job it is not fun any more. had a machine embroidery business. I got burned out and didn't enjoy embroidering. After I retired, I didn't embroider anything for about 3 years.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:33 PM

Great list of pointers, but when it comes to a charity quilt, I agree that the quality should be there in terms of good material and proper techniques to make it extra warm and sturdy, but perhaps we should be careful of donating anything that's so beautiful it might be stolen. Remember a lot of needy people are living temporarily in shelters with others, some of whom may be drug addicts or otherwise desperate enough to try to make a buck any way they can. In fact the person who receives it could be a druggie who might sell it to buy drugs, even though it's desperately needed. Also, seriously there may be times when quantity takes precedent over anything very time consuming. Better 5 kids warmed up with stitch and flip quickie quilts than one with a beautifully pieced quilt like one that you might make for your favorite newlyweds. There is nothing wrong with devoting more of your time and energy to your nearest and dearest. Nobody has unlimited time.

Another point that should be made is that if you're a beginner and need practice or have made blocks that you are not terribly fond of, don't hesitate to make quilts for charity. Providing warmth and comfort should be the first thought. I'm absolutely certain that most people who receive a quilt are not going to be picky. They will know that someone cared enough to help. If it's so awful you'd be embarrassed, how about donating it to an animal shelter?
Old 03-03-2015, 03:34 AM

Bottom line -- it is my money and I will purchase as much fabric and as many machines as I desire. At this point in my life, I plan to live it "my way".
Old 03-04-2015, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by Onetomatoplant View Post
Jzaaboo, love your ruler hanger! Did you get that at Hobby Lobby? I was there last week and I think I remember seeing it or something like it. I'll have to go back and take a look. Great idea!
Yes, this is a shelf from Hobby Lobby and I attached "S" hooks to hang my rulers. For all of those who think my approach is cold, I am making a lot of quilts, and that makes me happy. It was meant for those with no direction, and as I said previously, if you have a system that works for you, have at it. I too had some beautiful fabric that wasn't getting used because I was drifting from "quilt maker" to "fabric hoarder". If you like being the latter, more power to you.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by zozee View Post
I enjoy the psychology of quilters taking part in this thread. The engineer's mind makes me smile because I see my dad and other engineers having fun--thriving!-on designing organizational methods, making great use of space and resources, and all the engineers I know are also very artistic in some form. "Math" is not a four letter word to them, but "mess" is. The very word "collection" itself conjures up images and evokes feelings in each of us, Negative or positive?

As as for paring down things we don't use, want, or like before we die, is it loving to force our heirs to? If I can't, or don't want to deal with it, I imagine the burden it would place on my kids to do so. That motivates me to keep only what I'm enjoying.

I could speak to other topics in your well-articulated manifesto. Like I said, the psychology of this hobby fascinates me. We are all wired differently which is fun to observe.
You get it! I have an only son. I'm not old by any means, but you never know when that beer truck with my name on it is going to run over me. It's not fair to him to have to deal with a bunch of knick knacks and fabric I don't like. Life is too short. Make quilts you like! I have been quilting for 4 years (sewn since I was 7), and my taste has changed in this little time. I had 15 years of projects, and I was making "obligatory" quilts. Now I make what I like and give away what I want to. What is work to some is my haven. It really is interesting how different people think, being creative makes me a better engineer; being an engineer makes me a better quilter.
Old 03-04-2015, 11:40 AM

Wow! what a great post! All suggestions will help you enjoy the craft more. Thank you!