Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric Outlet - What would YOU buy? >

Fabric Outlet - What would YOU buy?

Fabric Outlet - What would YOU buy?

Old 03-13-2015, 07:46 AM

I used to buy a lot of fabric from Pacific Fabrics which was an outlet type of store. Great fabrics just need to watch when they are cutting for flaws. Not so bad for quilters, but garment construction can sure cause a problem. Looks like you got a lot of mediums so I would look for darks and lights. For some reason I think we are all pulled to those medium values. But do love the prints that you got.
Old 03-13-2015, 07:48 AM

Roserips, great observation about values. I'm going to look when I get home and make a note of where I have gaps. Thanks!<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/7de6c67b/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>
Old 03-13-2015, 08:36 AM

I usually buy 2 yards at a time when the fabric is on sale and I don't have a definite project in mind. That way I have plenty for just about any project.

I checked out the on-line store and their prices are good -- $3.99 a yard. BUT they have no ruler reference, so it's impossible to tell how large the motifs or prints are. What a shame as it might have been a good resource for economical fabric.
Old 03-13-2015, 05:02 PM

OMG !!! If I were in that outlet, I would buy whatever I could afford (and probably some I couldn't) in at least 2 yard pieces. Without any particular pattern in mind, but maybe fabrics that would coordinate for any quilt I chose to do
Old 03-13-2015, 05:58 PM

Belfrybat, you might make that suggestion if there is contact info on the site. I talked to the owner a lot and he's just slowly getting the inventory online. He may have not thought about that. He's a super nice guy and might be receptive to the suggestion. <script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/7de6c67b/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>
Old 03-13-2015, 07:08 PM

Wow! Sounds like a whole lot of fun to me. Your fabrics so far look great. I think if you are doing scrappy that 1/2 yard cuts are perfect. I agree on the blenders too. Seems you always need them. Have fun!
Old 03-14-2015, 07:52 AM

If you buy Minky, remember that you really shouldn't seam it, so it's only useful for lap size quilts. Just buy enough for the length of the quilt you will be making, plus 8". I usually buy 88" when I don't have a specific quilt in mind.

Flannel also makes a relatively inexpensive, good backing. I usually buy 8 yards, and shrink it first.

Have fun! It looks like you are in fabric heaven.
Old 03-14-2015, 08:12 AM

I have a lot of those fabrics and they're good ones. I think you're fine buying 1/2 cuts, but at that price, I'd buy a lot of backing fabric, too.
Old 03-15-2015, 05:40 AM

Girlfriend, thanks for the recommendation on minky. I'll keep that in mind!<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/70585f55/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>
Old 03-15-2015, 06:04 AM

Default What's their name?

Originally Posted by baronreads View Post
I'm in Springfield, MO for the week and stumbled upon a Fabric Outlet in my travels. OMG! All cotton fabric is $2.99/yd until the end of the month. They also have fleece, flannel, minky, decorator fabric, wide backing cotton, all at deep discounts. NICE cotton, a lot of designer fabric, just overwhelming. Since I'm just starting back at quilting and love scrappy quilts I bought 1/2 yd cuts. Now I'm second guessing myself and thinking I should have bought some minky and backing, but without a project in mind not sure how much or what colors. So, if you walked into this store, what would YOU buy?? I'll post a couple pics in another post from my phone. <script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/7de6c67b/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/7de6c67b/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>
Do they have a website?