Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ideas for wedding anniversary quilt for my wife? >

Ideas for wedding anniversary quilt for my wife?

Ideas for wedding anniversary quilt for my wife?

Old 03-16-2015, 01:53 AM

Question Ideas for wedding anniversary quilt for my wife?

Folks,

If you read any of my few posts you'll quickly discover my "newbie" status to quilting, as well as sewing. My question today is whether anybody has a few ideas for quilt patterns that might fit well with my goal - to make my wife a "gift quilt" for our wedding anniversary.
Now, I was open to any ideas but I am fond of the patterns I see that allow use of scraps and leftover material, rather than large amounts of a few fabrics. But that's just me, I won't pass up any ideas!

Thanks.
Adam

by the way - our anniversary is too soon for me to even get much of a start, I THINK I have until NEXT year to get this done!!! LOL
Old 03-16-2015, 02:58 AM

Nothing says 'Anniversary' to me more than 'Double Wedding Ring' - this would be perfect done scrappy. Alternatively, a Bargello Heart would also be good. Both of these are available in pattern form. Good luck!
Old 03-16-2015, 03:42 AM

Maybe a wall hanging size quilt would be good this year.
Old 03-16-2015, 04:34 AM

What type of quilts does your wife like--is she drawn to more traditional or more modern? Is there a particular pattern she has really admired? I'm planning to make a special quilt for our 25th anniversary (2018) and am leaning towards Storm at Sea. I originally thought about doing a Double Wedding Ring quilt just because of the symbolism but I actually don't care for the pattern enough that I want it on my bed! Think about your likes/dislikes and hers as well, and see if any particular design pops into your head.
Old 03-16-2015, 04:53 AM

What a great gift ! I'm not at home so can't share patterns, what about houses and hearts paper pieced? Good luck, she will love whatever you do!!
Old 03-16-2015, 05:17 AM
Power Poster

Hi Adam. Good to plan for next year. Does she have a favorite color?? Does she quilt? I myself have been quilting for over 25 years and my DWR is still a UFO that I will never finished. But Bargello are not really that hard. It is a bit of a challenge to pick out fabrics but that is what your LQS can help you with beside the advice this board can give. This is a free pattern from Northcott fabric.
http://www.northcott.net/newspdf/Ser...reePattern.pdf
I have posted this pattern and a few quilters have made a quilt using this pattern. I made this one using the scraps we received for charity quilts from Robert Kaufman.
Attached Thumbnails browngold-bargello.jpg  
Old 03-16-2015, 06:14 AM

I love the idea of a scrappy heart quilt. Have fun. Pinterest has lots of ideas.
Old 03-16-2015, 08:42 AM

..first has she shown interest in wanting you to make her a quilt?
Old 03-16-2015, 08:56 AM

If you like scrappy quilts, check out Bonnie Hunter's site. She's the queen of scraps.
Old 03-16-2015, 06:34 PM

Since you like scraps, do something insanely simple. Cut a big heart, as big as you would like it to be, out of muslin.
Then sew strips to it. The strips can be pieced if they aren't big enough. When you get the strips on, turn it over and cut the strips that are hanging over your foundation off to match the foundation. Then, get a piece of fabric you like, pin the dickens out of the heart onto the foundation and machine applique the heart to the fabric. You can add borders if you want. "Quilt as desired."(I can already hear people saying there is an easier way to do this, and that is true, but this one will work. And it is quick.) If you cut a big enough heart, you will have a nice size lap quilt. froggyintexas