Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Singer 201-2 how to clean it and worth >

Singer 201-2 how to clean it and worth

Singer 201-2 how to clean it and worth

Old 03-17-2015, 11:15 AM

Default Singer 201-2 how to clean it and worth

I just went and checked a machine I have in spare room (that I don't go in often almost forgot I had this one). I got a few yrs. back at a yard sale for $100 Model 201-2 have manual one reg. presser foot none of the other attachments. Would like to clean it up but it has smokers residue very dirty home it came out of. It is in the wood cab. with the curved drawers, very nice but dirty also. Wondering what do you use to clean machine without marring it. And wondering also how much is it worth?
Old 03-17-2015, 11:56 AM
Banned

Clean with Sewing Machine oil

Worth what you can get for it. I have seen $20, I have seen $200
Old 03-17-2015, 01:48 PM

I've seen $500.
Old 03-17-2015, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by KenmoreRulesAll View Post
I've seen $500.
I've seen $200,000
Old 03-17-2015, 03:34 PM

What Steve said. Sewing machine oil to clean it and worth is whatever your market will bear. Check out the sticky on cleaning your machine and watch Muv's videos. Also sometimes the cigarette smoke is actually a failing shellac clear coat. Just pay attention when you start cleaning. If the clearcoat is failing you can screw up your decals by over cleaning.

You can check Craig's List in your area for other similar machines to get an idea of asking prices in your area. Don't be fooled by really high numbers. With rare exceptions those people are dreaming.

The Singer 201 was Singer's finest domestic machine when it was made. It actually qualifies as a light commercial machine IMO. They were used a lot by tailors and dressmakers. It would actually be an excellent machine to keep.
It's probably worth more to you as a sewing machine than what you can sell it for.
Rodney
Old 03-17-2015, 03:47 PM
Banned

I would love to make a 201 with a early style heavy handwheel.... muhahahaha talk about punching power
Old 03-17-2015, 06:07 PM

I've cleaned a little with machine oil and cotton balls and what's coming off is brown color, also being careful around decals. Needs a new rubber ring on bobbin winder so far. Watched the video on how to clean and take apart. Cord looks to be in good shape, no nicks or folds in it. I do plan on keeping machine to sew the blue jean throws I make. Thanks for the help. Next I'm going to check what kind of machine is in the cabinet I use as a bed side table. Was given to my Mom from my Dads Mother so no telling what's in there either. Someone put a hot iron on cabinet and burned it.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:59 AM

I see you are from LA; the old Singers seem to come at a premium down there. You won't be able to find one as easily as you can in other areas of the South. I have a cousin who lives in Caldwell Parish, and the only old Singer we have seen in our searches down there was an old, beat-up, very dirty, one in a coffin-type covered case. And it was only for show in a local restaurant--not for sale. If you really feel that you don't want to keep it, hold out for what it is worth, $200 at least, and take bids on it if you want more.
Old 03-18-2015, 02:46 PM

I found it in the Hills of Arkansas (north) down a dirt (rock) road, yard sale. Thought we would never find the sale or our way out of there. Was a fun day with my Mother.
Old 03-19-2015, 07:23 PM

I was sewing with my 201K treadle tonight, its so very quiet. I just oiled it and it is nearly silent.