Another Singer: VS2

Old 03-19-2015, 08:48 AM

Default Another Singer: VS2

Some of you may remember the Singer VS2 whose CL ad I posted a few days ago in the Giggles thread.

I decided that someone on the QB should go get it and it appears that someone had to be me.

The cover in the ad was for a Western Electric. I let them keep it. The table appears to be some cobbled together non-Singer broken leg contraption. But it did come with a box of long bobbin attachments.

The head itself is in decent shape:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]514118[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]514119[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]514120[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]514121[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]514117[/ATTACH]

The metal bits need Evaporust or equivalent and a dremel. There are small drips of paint here and there and I've managed to pry some of them off (latex, thankfully), some are over the decals and I haven't attempted to remove those. I have superficially cleaned the head with oil and cotton balls, going to an old undershirt for the dirtier spots. I took some Maas metal polish to a few pieces but only for a few minutes.

It needs a completely different and appropriate table and it needs a re-shellac, plus a thorough cleaning and polishing. The needle bar and wheel move very freely, so that's not a problem. The bobbin winder and pressure screw are fully operational as is the length screw. The presser foot is completely rusted to the shank. It came with two shuttles.

It's a nice machine and a good project. I'm just not sure I'm the man for it. I'll have to buy a dremel-type tool, shellac materials, etc. And I'll have to buy some time.
Attached Thumbnails _1014170.jpg   _1014165.jpg   _1014166.jpg   _1014168.jpg   _1014169.jpg  

Old 03-19-2015, 08:51 AM
Banned

LOL. That is not in "decent shape" it is FANTASTIC shape!!

Those are great sewing machines. Be very careful of the hinges, they are unique to that machine.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:54 AM

Ahhhhh. YOU got that one :-) . I had been eyeing it for a while but don't want another treadle. I would have converted it to a hand crank.... but we already have 3 of those. Anyway, it is very pretty and I really want a fiddle base at *some* point.... Love the flower pattern!!

Glad it's your "problem" now

ps. Have you dated the machine? I don't remember what it said in the ad.

Last edited by sews; 03-19-2015 at 10:06 AM.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:04 AM

Love the fiddle base! Great machine and not all that bad shape either. Good luck and enjoy.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
LOL. That is not in "decent shape" it is FANTASTIC shape!!

Those are great sewing machines. Be very careful of the hinges, they are unique to that machine.
This is my first pre-1900 machine but I'm glad it's in fantastic shape!

Thanks for the tip on the hinges. I don't know where or how I would have found that out on my own.

Dremel question: I've heard that dremel-type tools shouldn't be used on chrome. Is that true or am I trippin'?
Old 03-19-2015, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by sews View Post
Ahhhhh. YOU got that one :-) . I had been eyeing it for a while but don't want another treadle. I would have converted it to a hand crank.... but we already have 3 of those. Anyway, it is very pretty and I really want a fiddle base at *some* point.... Love the flower pattern!!

Glad it's your "problem" now

ps. Have you dated the machine? I don't remember what it said in the ad.
Yeah, it's a project machine. *sigh* Why, WHY do I buy these things? I remember there was some interest here when I posted the ad but I don't remember anyone saying they'd definitely make the trip, so after a few days I thought "Why not?" Was a long drive but the day couldn't have been more beautiful and at $60 it was a good price.

The machine is from 1898, I believe. That's from the serial # and Singer.

Btw, here's a fantastic deal:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/art/4938649307.html

I remember we both wanted the same 201-2 and I was a little faster on the draw. Here's an even better one and for the same price!

Last edited by KenmoreRulesAll; 03-19-2015 at 10:16 AM.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:14 AM
Banned

Never heard that rule... IT would really depend on the specific attachment used, not so much the dremel itself.

Note: They were Nickel Plated at this time, not chrome.

Those plated parts are not as bad as they look. With Brasso and 0000 Steel wool (or Aluminum foil and water) they will clean up to be bright and shiny. really really

EDIT: I'd buy that from you any time you get tired of it......
Old 03-19-2015, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by KenmoreRulesAll View Post

Btw, here's a fantastic deal:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/art/4938649307.html

I remember we both wanted the same 201-2 and I was a little faster on the draw. Here's an even better one and for the same price!
I'm already on it but haven't heard back. Chances are I was too late. And I don't need it anyway. Just couldn't resist a portable.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:41 AM

So you wanna fiddle base!

Here are two nice ones:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/atq/4938748323.html

http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/atq/4929659419.html

The second one is the one that interests me the most, though both are in good shape.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Never heard that rule... IT would really depend on the specific attachment used, not so much the dremel itself.

Note: They were Nickel Plated at this time, not chrome.

Those plated parts are not as bad as they look. With Brasso and 0000 Steel wool (or Aluminum foil and water) they will clean up to be bright and shiny. really really

EDIT: I'd buy that from you any time you get tired of it......
Ah, OK. Makes sense on the nickel -- that's true for some manufacturers well into the 1950s, as my recent Adler purchase demonstrates.

I purchased some Brasso several months ago. Misplaced it. Off to the store.

If I get tired or frustrated with it, I'll let you know. I think Macybaby also expressed interest. I may grow to really like it but my interest is in the later machines and industrials.