looking for pedmonitor

Old 03-25-2015, 07:45 AM

Default looking for pedmonitor

What is your opinions on different pedmonitors? sp? To record the amount of steps I take in a day. I am looking for one not too expensive but that WORKS. I know there are days I walk very little but days that I seem to be on my feet all day. Decided to see just what my physical health level is. I do have trouble walking some days (severe back problems) but want to improve my mobility. Can you help? Thanks for all opinions you have.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:40 AM
Power Poster

I have a Bally fitness Pedometer but have no idea where it came from. It's been here awhile. I just started walking and it works fine as far as I know. Walgreens gave me one once but it counts calories burned. Maybe more things are in there but I didn't fool with it since I had the Bally one.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:12 AM

I've bought several from WalMart. They're inexpensive and work great, until I end up losing them.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:38 AM

I am wild about my FitBit, and most of my friends have them. I clip mine to the middle of my bra, the clip is really strong, can't imagine losing it, Rob clips his on his shirt pocket.

You don't have to mark out 20 steps or any of that stuff. When you get the FitBit you go online to register it with the numbers off the box. At that time you also input your height and weight and the software does the work re: stride and calories burned. If you get taller or weight changes just alter the original input at fitbit.

the computer picks up your totals, I think it pings for it every 20 minutes so if you are at the computer at least that long once a day you'll have your totals correct.

If you want you can connect (or friend) family or friends fitbits. I get an email once a week that gives me my totals and in the left hand column how many steps my friends have been getting.

Best wishes, I clip mine on every single day as representation of my intention of living healthier and longer (I've had cancer twice) even if I know it will only be a 1000 step day because I'll be sewing or in the office all day.
10,000 steps a day is the recommended goal by the health experts.
Old 03-25-2015, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
I am wild about my FitBit, and most of my friends have them. I clip mine to the middle of my bra, the clip is really strong, can't imagine losing it, Rob clips his on his shirt pocket.
I could lose it. Trust me. LOL The problem is after taking it off and putting it 'somewhere safe' . . . .
Old 03-25-2015, 01:03 PM

I also like my FitBit, but I wear mine as a bracelet and only take it off once a week to charge the battery. I don't even notice it is on my wrist. They aren't cheap though. WalMart or a sporting good store may have pedometers - relatively inexpensive ones that work. I used to wear one when I taught school, but the district gave it to me so I don't know the price.
Old 03-25-2015, 01:22 PM

I had a pedometer that you put on your belt loop, but I didn't have enough of a "rock" in my hip movement for it to record correctly. I went to a large fair, walked through 3/4 it, plus the distance from parking lot to the fair, and it said I only took 600 steps! I was there over 4 hours when I checked it, and we did a lot of backtracking. I tried to clip it to my shoe but it fell off a couple times, gave up on it.

I now have something like that on my phone and it is more accurate.
Old 03-25-2015, 03:35 PM

I also have a FitBit-the one that is only a pedometer- cost was $49. I usually clip to center of my bra or in pocket of my jeans. I love it. It is really easy to sync to your computer and the FitBit site will give you a weekly summary of your activity, you can also track your calorie intake and sleep patterns. I had one of the bracelet ones but I never wore it.
Old 03-25-2015, 03:49 PM

My son who works for Garmin gave me the Vivofit (made by Garmin). I have worn it for several months now - never take it off as it is water-proof. I have enjoyed using it, even though it shows I don't take as many steps as I should! I'm not sure what he paid for it although I know he used his discount - maybe $120. He wouldn't tell me, so I have no accurate way of knowing the cost!
Old 03-26-2015, 03:18 AM

I also have the Fitbit. I just leave it clipped on the pocket of whatever pants I'm wearing. I've had mine for about 1-1 1/2 years. Since I have it registered on the Fitbit site,I got a e-mail letting me know when the battery was low and needed to be changed