looking for pedmonitor

Old 03-26-2015, 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by carolstickelmaier View Post
What is your opinions on different pedmonitors? sp? To record the amount of steps I take in a day. I am looking for one not too expensive but that WORKS. I know there are days I walk very little but days that I seem to be on my feet all day. Decided to see just what my physical health level is. I do have trouble walking some days (severe back problems) but want to improve my mobility. Can you help? Thanks for all opinions you have.
I just bought a new Omron Pedometer- the other one lasted over ten years - it is the HJ-325. I hook it to my slax first thing in the AM and wear it all day. It keeps one week track of your walking, how many steps, how many miles, how many calories you burn. I was just diagnosed with Congestive Heart Failure and have to start walking again. (I quit when I was taking care of my husband). I love the Omron. Your start is 2,000 steps which equals one mile. I also sent in for a Leslie Sansome CD for the one mile walk. My tape broke the other day - and needless to say, I can't get a new one, so I went for the CD. Should be delivered tomorrow. It'll surprise you how much you walk in one day and not even realize it. My husband couldn't believe that on a really good day, I could pump out 7-8 miles a day. My sister who is two years younger than I am can do 10 on a good day. Some days you have good days, some days you don't, it's ok. It is what you feel comfortable doing! I have to do some checking with my cardiologist to see if five miles a day is too much or not enough. Whatever he wants is fine with me. It takes me 20 minutes to walk a mile. Not shabby for a 76 year old I don't think!

So, again, I prefer the Omron. Edie -- and good luck to you.
Old 03-26-2015, 04:44 AM

If you have a smartphone there are free apps that work as a pedometer.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:31 AM

Over the years I've tried many pedometers and none of them would work on me, although they worked for DH. Finally last year I got an Omron and it has some kind of GPS system or something weird in it, it counts your steps whether you have it in your pocket, on your wrist or hanging around your neck. Works great for me and I try for 10,000 steps a day.... it keeps you on the move especially when you want to get some quilting done.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:49 AM

The FitBit measures your steps, converts to miles per week, accounts your calories against your current weight calories and lets you know the difference, it sends you an email when the battery needs to be charged, you can shower in it, you can set an alarm to wake you....it lightly buzzes/vibrates to wake you....if you go back to sleep, it knows and sends the vibration again....it also tracks your sleep habits....you put in your going to bed time and waking up time and it shows you how many times you woke up in the middle of the night...it is cool. $89 at Bed Bath and Beyond....great investment for someone tracking activity and calories. On tracking calories, you start to type in the food, it automatically give you a long list of that item, select the one that fits your food and press a button, it gives you the calories, protein, carbs, fat breakdown on screen....fabulous! Worth the price
Old 03-26-2015, 12:39 PM

I have an Omron, similar to these:
http://www.amazon.com/Omron-HJ-112-D.../dp/B0000U1OCI

It is very accurate, it works whether I'm walking outside or on my treadmill due to the way it works. I like that you don't need a smartphone to use it.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:42 PM

My cell phone has an app that keeps track of steps for me, and other "get fit" exercise to show how much I am getting. If your phone is video capable, go to "Get Fit" and download the app
Old 03-26-2015, 07:47 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
I am wild about my FitBit, and most of my friends have them. I clip mine to the middle of my bra, the clip is really strong, can't imagine losing it, Rob clips his on his shirt pocket.

You don't have to mark out 20 steps or any of that stuff. When you get the FitBit you go online to register it with the numbers off the box. At that time you also input your height and weight and the software does the work re: stride and calories burned. If you get taller or weight changes just alter the original input at fitbit.

the computer picks up your totals, I think it pings for it every 20 minutes so if you are at the computer at least that long once a day you'll have your totals correct.

If you want you can connect (or friend) family or friends fitbits. I get an email once a week that gives me my totals and in the left hand column how many steps my friends have been getting.

Best wishes, I clip mine on every single day as representation of my intention of living healthier and longer (I've had cancer twice) even if I know it will only be a 1000 step day because I'll be sewing or in the office all day.
10,000 steps a day is the recommended goal by the health experts.
Love my Fitbit too. I have the bracelet one, and I am so used to wearing it, I miss it if it's not on. I find it very useful, and I like the fact it keeps you motivated. So cool when it vibrates when you achieve your 10,000 steps.
Old 03-27-2015, 02:37 AM

Love Misfit...it is a watch band or clip. It checks steps, number of calories , how many more steps you need and calibrates sleep and deep sleep. It is programmed into your phone and you can print the days patterns. Best Buy was where it was purchased.
You can program it for other activities and hook up with an exercise buddy on line.
Old 03-27-2015, 03:25 AM

My dtr gave me a fitbit for Christmas. I use it and find it's pretty accurate. I like being able to get a weekly report. I usually carry it in my pocket but on those rare occasions when whatever I'm wearing doesn't have a pocket, I wear it clipped to my bra. There are several versions and the cost doesn't have to be exorbitant.
Old 03-27-2015, 02:45 PM

I have a fitbit zip also. Love it. I clip it to the center of my bra and I don;t see how it could ever fall off. I also clip it to my PJ's when I put them on. I want credit for every step. It is advertized as water resistant, that sweat won't harm it. I can verify that it works. I work in a school with no AC and it stands up to sweat. Also I accidently ran it through the washing machine once. I am really surprised at the number of steps I get in during a typical day, without any added exercise. I am all over the school in different classrooms. I usually have about 7000 steps in by the time i get home.