Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What size is it scrap? And how to store! >

What size is it scrap? And how to store!

What size is it scrap? And how to store!

Old 04-02-2015, 07:45 AM

I try to keep my scraps sorted by colour. I cut weird shapes out of fabrics sometimes for appliqué so if I can't fold it up flat again it goes into the scrap bins. It's always a challenge...not wanting to part with fabrics but where to store the bins...
Old 04-02-2015, 07:52 AM
Power Poster

I keep different widths of strips that are common sizes for blocks I make. I have bins for 4.5", 3", 2.5", 1.5" strips. Smaller scraps, or odd shape stuff goes into the basket for crumb blocks (3.5"). Quiltville.com has some great ideas for taming the scraps too~
Old 04-02-2015, 08:02 AM
RST

The method or storage system to use is the one that works for you.

I am transitioning for a lifetime of "keep every scrap, don't cut until you need it, waste nothing" to a policy of "make it easy to find and use". So I like a plan that gets the scraps out of huge bins and into readily usable shapes and sizes.
Old 04-02-2015, 08:09 AM

I like to put my smaller scraps into ziplock sandwich bags and store them by color. Then when I need a scrap of a certain color I can dump out the bags, shuffle through them and not have the fabrics get more wrinkled during the search. I reuse the bags again and again.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:30 AM

Good question. I kind of agonize over this from time to time too. Right now I'm using the Scrap Therapy model & I have quite a bit to cut into usable sizes. I will probably wait till school is out & I'm off work as it is pretty time consuming.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:42 AM

My scraps are the crumbs, chunks or trims left from cutting out block pieces or cleaning up the edge of a larger piece. If the piece still has both selvages it is not a scrap.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:54 AM
Power Poster

anything smaller than a fat or 1/4 linear.
those to me are yardage.
Old 04-02-2015, 03:11 PM

Thank u for your stories of what u do. I think I might treat anything less than a fat quarter as scrap but I'm not sure about cutting them yet. I'll get some smallish bins and sort in colour like I have with my stash. Well most of it as I have one big box that I keep my SPECIAL fabric in. U know the fabric u take out and Stroke and are loathed to use cos it's tooooo lovely lol
Old 04-03-2015, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by Nanax4 View Post
Oh boy. I save *everything*! I'm currently in my no-waste mode.

Over 1/4 yard I store folded up in one area. Under 1/4 yard I cut up into smaller squares or rectangles, whatever works. I store those in bins which are marked with the size. I'll use them for a crazy quilt later. Or a border.

I try to have a piece of every fabric go into the bin of scraps that are at least 2.5" wide. Those scraps I'm sewing onto adding machine tape, to be used as a border later.

Anything that could be used for an I Spy quilt gets cut up into 5" squares. I save 5 of each for myself (for quilts for nieces/nephews), and trade the rest on-line.

I cut up the leftovers from all that into 1.5" squares, to be used for a postage stamp quilt. Or to be traded on-line.

The leftovers (crumbs) from all of the above gets tossed into one of several drawers. I sew those pieces together randomly until they're big enough to cut into a 5" square, which I'll use for a scrap quilt later.

Whew!
Me too! I save everything because I want to art quilt and I have no idea what may be useful. I even save the salvages.
Old 04-03-2015, 07:44 AM

I don't cut my scraps to a particular size until I need them. I consider a scrap anything bigger than 3/4" square and less than 1/8 yd. Less than 1/8 yd pieces are sorted by color in the small Sterilite drawers. 1/8 to 1/2 yd pieces are folded and stored in the medium size Sterilite drawers. Anything over 1/2 yd is ruler folded and stored on a shelf like a book. There are always a few exceptions to this, but in general I find this works pretty well for me. I've been through several sorting variations and I'm sure I'll change again when this one no longer works for me. The only real constant in life is that things will change.