Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HQ16 / APQS George vs. BlockRockit >

HQ16 / APQS George vs. BlockRockit

HQ16 / APQS George vs. BlockRockit

Old 04-02-2015, 06:50 AM

Question HQ16 / APQS George vs. BlockRockit

I am continuing to research FMQ machines and I have a few questions. The BlockRockit is appealing to me because it has a frame for the quilt (no sandwich-making!) and you control the handles / move the machine to quilt. However, I have been reading many reviews and the sit down mid arms are getting rave reviews. But with the mid arm you would still need to make the quilt sandwich and you move the material (not the machine) to FMQ. I am wondering if anyone has experience with both and would like to hear your opinions, likes, dislikes. Thank you very much.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:28 AM

I would NOT get a sit down unless that was the only way I could fit one in. I detest basting a quilt. I do not like being hunched over a quilt I can pin a queen sized quilt in less than an hour. Easy decision for me. I can do a couple of rows, do something else and easily come back to it. We live in a rental house and I made sure I had a place for my HQ. It is in an alcove in the living room.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:32 AM

I have been doing research of my own and would be interested in replies also. I have not heard of the BlockRockit. I agree with you on the sandwiching - not my favorite part of the quilt either. That's why long arm machines are more appealing for me. With mid arms there is more room to maneuver with fmq.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:33 AM
Power Poster

I have an HQ with a long table, and I love it! I would not go back to having to smooth things out, pin, baste, etc. No way!
This machine is a time saver, and helps me physically. I can do a few steps, and come back to it. Easier on my hands, knees, hips, etc......Worth every penny!
Old 04-02-2015, 07:44 AM

When doing your research, don't forget the Bailey, which has a good reputation and customer service, and is priced considerably less than the George, and the BlockRockit, is a fairly new brand, so I don't know if they have all the "bugs" worked out.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:14 AM
Power Poster

Really, it's a matter of personal preference. Some people prefer quilting on frames; others prefer a sit-down machine.

I have a midarm on a frame and find it's a lot more fun for me to quilt that way. I don't have to have a large flat surface to baste the sandwich, and it's easier for me to move the machine than to move the quilt. I also like being able to stand up as I quilt -- much less fatiguing for my back, neck and shoulders.

There are people who prefer to FMQ on a sit-down machine. One QB member actually changed her frame setup to sitdown because it was easier on her body to quilt that way. I have met marvellous quilters who have never quilted on a frame setup; they learned to quilt sitting down and they just wanted to continue that way.

If at all possible, go to a large quilt show and try out all the different setups there. Find out if you like quilting by moving the machine. I loved it the first time I tried it, so I knew I wanted to go with a frame setup rather than a sitdown. If for reasons of space I had to give up my frame setup and go with a sitdown, I would definitely use a suspender system such as the Jennoop to make it easier. If I had my "druthers" for my dream quilting setup, it would be an Innova with lightning stitch.

The BlockRockit gets good reviews from users. You might want to join the homequiltingsystems group at groups.yahoo.com; I have seen comments about the BlockRockit there.
Old 04-02-2015, 02:55 PM

Thank you for the excellent comments. I am hoping to go to the sewing and quilt show next weekend and test drive some different machines.
Old 04-02-2015, 03:20 PM

What occurs to me relates to a discussion we were having here about the tidying-up lady whose book has become a sensation. As I recall, one of her maxims was, don't focus on what you want to get rid of, focus on what you want to keep. With that in mind, I would suggest making this decision not based on what you hate (basting), but based on what you enjoy. I think the two main questions to ask yourself are: Would I rather sit down or stand up while quilting? Would I find it more intuitive/enjoyable to move the needle over the quilt, or to move the quilt under the needle?

Best option -- try both methods and see which one you like better!
Old 04-02-2015, 04:17 PM

Such good comments here.
Old 04-02-2015, 05:18 PM

I didn't realize you could have a midarm on a frame, how does this work? I have obviously confused the descriptions, because I thought a midarm (like the BL Tiara) was a large harp machine set into a table, but with the machine set the opposite of how a DSM is set up. How large a quilt can be quilted on a mid arm with a frame? How big is the frame? Any idea how the price of this set up compares to a midarm in a table? Just for example, Of course true cost would depend on brand, dealer, sales etc.