Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HQ16 / APQS George vs. BlockRockit >

HQ16 / APQS George vs. BlockRockit

HQ16 / APQS George vs. BlockRockit

Old 04-04-2015, 04:48 AM

I highly recommend trying both a long arm and a sitdown machine to see which one you like best. When I was in the market for a quilting machine, I just assumed I would prefer a long arm. I had the space and the money for it, so I went to try one out for a while. Luckily I lived near the Nolting factory and they let me play on various machines for almost 2 hours one day (great people by the way - take a look at their machines too). I discovered, to my utter surprise, that I didn't like long arm quilting at all! Yes, it was faster, but I truly missed the feel of the fabric under my hands. I did not feel connected to my quilt when moving the head instead of the fabric.

Some people find standing at a long arm tiring. Some peple find moving the fabric on a sitdown tiring. Best find out for yourself which one works best for you.

Pam
Old 04-04-2015, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by coffeecozy View Post
My solution was to find a used grace frame with a mega quilter at a really good price and try that. It even has a stitch regulator. It took me as long to load my quilt as it does to spray baste one. It takes a lot of space that I didn't want to give up. I could only work a pattern that fit in the small area that the throat of the machine covered.The biggest draw back though was that I didn't enjoy quilting on it as much as I had on my DSM.
I finally decided on a sweet 16 sit down machine. I do have the stitch regulator (it does work really well once you know how to use it) but I found that the machine is so easy to use that I don't need it. My largest quilt so far is a queen size and I had no problem with that and expect that the king sized that is getting pieced now will work as easily. I pick up different kinds of thread just to try them and it works great on everything I have fed it, from 60 weight to 12 weight in cotton or poly.
I have table space on either side of my machine to hold the quilt and I work in a puddle so the only fabric that I am pushing is that small area between my hands. I do mostly FMQ and I am learning to use rulers. I really love to use it and it fits nicely into my sewing room.
I still don't like sandwiching the quilt.
Try different options before you decide. I am sure one will feel just right.
Love my Tiara II also, and have little difficulty FMQing on it as I was used to my DSM with a 6 1/2" throat space. WOW what a difference the extra room makes. No more back and shoulder aches either. I also have the stitch regulator and it works great, but definitely has a learning curve as you adjust to the machine controlling the speed instead of your foot pedal.........very weird at first. I hate sandwiching too (just impatient to start the quilting process I think) but have had great luck spray basting on our basement ping pong table. It sure beats crawling on the floor and not being able to get up LOL
Old 04-04-2015, 06:06 AM

I have a HQ Sweet Sixteen and love it. I have not had any trouble FMQ with it. I don't like to stand all the time as with a long arm.
Old 04-04-2015, 10:25 AM

Even with a longarm, I've heard that some people use a saddle type of seat on wheels on which they scoot around with so they can be sitting rather than standing. I have back problems, and I think that is the only way I could do a lot of quilting at one time. In fact, i think i saw that Sharon Schamber has one. I saw a Juki and a frame set up at one of our LQS and it was only(?) $5000 for the machine and frame. The frame was only 60" wide, but I make only lap quilts, so that would sure work for me. Unfortunately, that was a couple of years ago, so the price is probably a lot more now. Oh, well. I can dream!
Old 04-04-2015, 11:05 AM

The BlockRockeit is much less expensive. It gives me hope that this long arm quilting is reachable for me. Now to find a place to take the test drive!
Old 04-04-2015, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by toverly View Post
There is another machine that several friends have around here. It's the Sunshine 16, made in Tennessee. They love it. Check that one out.
I tried the Sunshine 16 at a quilt show and loved it. A very basic setup and affordable! It stitched beautifully!
Old 04-04-2015, 02:23 PM

I have an Innova on a 12' frame - so much easier on my body to stand and move the machine and no basting quilts!! My favorite thing is the free 24/7/365 tech service - really, I called on Christmas day afternoon as I had a quilt that had to leave the next day and they walked me through timing my machine (it was the first time, over a year after I bought my longarm). I have never had anything go "wrong" with the machine that wasn't just because of my ignorance - it is my first (and only) longarm. Innova isn't cheap (take that any way you want!) but it didn't break the bank like some longarms can and it has so much as "standard equipment" that is "extra" with the other brands I looked at. The very best thing is that it makes my quilting look so good!
Old 04-04-2015, 02:41 PM
Power Poster

Reasons to get a sit down would be because you do smaller quilts, have no space for a longarm, cost, can't stand to quilt, you do only art quilts. Even if I did only small art quilts I would prefer a Juki or an old Bernina 830. I used Innova and HQ sit down plus I quilt smaller quilts on an Janome and older Bernina, I own, with and extended opening but I bought an Innova on a 12 foot table for quilting full sized quilts. I have no regrets about buying a machine on a frame and I can still do quilts on my Janome and Bernina. I also like the look of the quilting done on the Janome and Bernina over the HQ sit down.

If you are considering a long arm, I much prefer it but it does have a learning curve. I am so happy not to have to baste and deal with pushing and supporting the whole quilt. With very small quilts, up to about 36x36 in., I prefer to use a sit down machine.

Last edited by Annaquilts; 04-04-2015 at 02:44 PM.
Old 04-04-2015, 02:48 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by caspharm View Post
I love my Innova 26" with a stitch regulator, but purchasing any machine is definitely a personal choice, so you should try as many machines as possible. You can see what is in your budget, and consider looking for a used or demo machine. Ask the dealers if they have one available, or you can look online at a site like Longarm University. Also, if you buy a new machine, ask if classes are included, so you can learn the basics.

Another suggestion is, if possible before buying, see if one of your LQS offers a class and rents time on their longarm and see if you like quilting on a longarm (midsize will be similar).
Excellent advice! Take your time to research. These machines are all pricey and the last thing anyone needs is to have a machine they do not like.
Old 04-04-2015, 04:39 PM

Using my HQ16 on a frame, I can quilt at most 11.5 inches. Reality is that the actual number of quilt-able inches with any larger harp machine is dependent on factors such as the batting, length of the quilt, as well as the size of the harp. As you roll the quilt up on the frame, the roll takes up some of the harp space. You may start out with, as in the case of my set up, 11.5 inches available to quilt with, but could wind up with less space after each roll of the frame. My frame is 10 feet long and can quilt up to 96"wide. That's more than enough for most of my quilts.

Since I don't quilt professionally and never plan to, the 16 inch throat is plenty big for me.