Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric drying out fingers? >

Fabric drying out fingers?

Fabric drying out fingers?

Old 04-07-2015, 12:34 PM

Default Fabric drying out fingers?

In the past, I have had problems with dry, cracked skin on my fingertips. Ouch!
well, the past year I didn't have time for much sewing at all. And my fingers healed-completely.

I started piecing a quilt top about 2 weeks ago, and my fingers are dry & cracked again.
Could this be from the fabric? Anyone else have this problem??

I have not touched or done anything new in the 2 week time period.
Old 04-07-2015, 12:41 PM

Do you pre-wash your fabrics?

If not, the chemicals in the fabric could be the culprit.

If you are already washing all your fabrics, the only thing I can suggest is slathering on Eveeno lotion before you go to bed at night.
Old 04-07-2015, 01:09 PM

I have the same problem, and yes it is the fabric.
Old 04-07-2015, 01:10 PM
Power Poster

If you don't pre-wash as HouseDragon said start washing your fabric to see if it is the chemicals in the fabric. You could also try wearing gloves while handling fabric.
Old 04-07-2015, 01:16 PM

Oh wow! Thanks, no I don't prewash. Going to start after I finish the quilt top I'm working on. Don't want half of it prewashed, and the other half not.

Jackie, what do you do for the problem?
Right now, my finger tips are so painful, that I have actually considered giving up quilting.
Old 04-07-2015, 01:19 PM
Power Poster

All my fabrics are pre-washed and still dry my hands. I think the fabric just sucks the moisture out of my hands. I can't stand lotion on my hands nor other body parts. My Husband's hands get very dry and cracked in the winter. He is designated dishwasher. He doesn't handle any fabrics except for his clothing.
Old 04-07-2015, 01:32 PM

Ms Grace, i had a post a while back on getting a terrible burning chemical reaction from fabric i bought at Joanns. I did not pre wash it, and when I ironed it, the steam made the whole house stink like chemicals, and I developed a very severe rash all over my face. My face burned and peeled for 3 months, it still looks awful but the burning is better. The 2 doctors i went to said it was most likely a chemical burn from the fabric. I have to be really careful now, especially with ironing, but I pre wash everything. I have not come across a fabric that smells as bad as the one that caused this, but I can still smell they have a similar odor. I wear gloves now to when I handle fabrics, and a face mask for when Im ironing. I know this sounds drastic, but my face still hasn't healed. I have no doubt they use toxic things in some of these fabrics.
Old 04-07-2015, 01:54 PM

Me too and I have the answer!!! I have cracked fingers from all the hand quilting. I found Eucerin Aquaphor Healing Ointment. No prescription needed. I get it at Walmart or Kroger. It comes in a tube or jar. Jar is easier and you save more. I take a nice shower or bath and rub both hands with a small amount and rub it in good just before I go to bed. If my poor pointing finger is really cracked and painful, I put a tiny amount on the finger in the crack and put a band aide on it during the day. It usually takes 2 or 3 days before they heal. But yep, it works. I think the fabric just soaks up any moisture in our hands plus the fact that we wash our hands repeatedly while quilting or working with the fabric.
Old 04-07-2015, 02:38 PM

I have the same problem whether I prewash the fabric or not. I wash my hands frequently while handling fabric,and use aveeno rubbed in well. My fingertips look like hash after a day of hand quilting...I put that smelly nu- skin on them and they are better overnite
Old 04-07-2015, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Ms Grace View Post
Oh wow! Thanks, no I don't prewash. Going to start after I finish the quilt top I'm working on. Don't want half of it prewashed, and the other half not.

Jackie, what do you do for the problem?
Right now, my finger tips are so painful, that I have actually considered giving up quilting.
I don't prewash my fabric and find my hands dry out too. I cleaned out a fence row last summer and after wearing leather gloves for weeks, my fingertips were so cracked they would bleed. There's a miracle salve I found at Home Depot called Working Hands. Best. Stuff. Ever. It's now sold at Wal-Mart, Walgreens, etc, basically everywhere. It's like an instant healing miracle!