Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Washing and drying flannel fabric for quilting

Blog Entries

Washing and drying flannel fabric for quilting

I read the recent thread regarding washing/drying flannel and because I have several pieces of flannel to wash, I wanted to try and minimize raveling and distortion.

I folded my yardage in half and took my quilting clips and clipped around the raw edges and then washed and dried the pieces. It worked very well. The red and striped fabric are from a LQS and the small pieces are from Wal Mart. All worked the same with this method. So happy that I read that thread and prepared my fabrics first before laundering them.

Name:  IMG_3862.JPG
Views: 885
Size:  884.0 KB

Blog Entries
    When washing flannel fabric I put the two ends together and then serge them with a big loose stitch. It is quick and easy. When it is dry I just use my rotary cutter to cut off the sergged end and I lose very little fabric.

Blog Entries
    Great tips for cutting down all those pesky strings/ frayed edges. Thanks.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Quote Originally Posted by quiltingshe View Post
    When washing flannel fabric I put the two ends together and then serge them with a big loose stitch. It is quick and easy. When it is dry I just use my rotary cutter to cut off the sergged end and I lose very little fabric.
    I use this system for washing a lot of yardage. It works great and like quiltingshe says, you lose very little fabric.
    Patrice S

Blog Entries
    thanks for sharing your experience
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Blog Entries
    Those clips are so expensive I would hesitate to put them in a machine and dryer. I like quiltingshe's method. I have washed and dried LQS flannel with very little fraying.
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

Blog Entries
    A great idea...large safety pins would also work to hold edges together...
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    I donate quilts to the AAQI.

I just use my pinking blade rotary cutter and trim off a quarter of an inch on each side of the fabric. It doesn't totally eliminate raveling but it does make it manageable.

Power Poster
    I serge the raw edges of fabric with a big, "loose" stitch (3 thread) before it gets put in the washing machine - if I am feeling very frugal, I can easily remove the stitching and lose NO fabric at all. Of course, the needle holes are still there, but they would usually be covered by a seam allowance.

Blog Entries
    I really like the idea of using the large safety pins, I don't own a surger so I can't do that method and have not had any luck with the pinking blade cutting the fabric properly. I don't use the quilting clips but was wondering if they would break in the wash and/or melt in the dryer. Glad it worked for you and thanks for posting your idea.

You can minimize fraying by just washing in the shortest cycle. On my machine, that's the delicate cycle. I get hardly any strings since I switched to doing that. Any bleeding will take place within that short period.

I have made several flannel wuilts, and I never washed the flannel. Never had a problem afterwards either.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    I serge the raw edges of fabric with a big, "loose" stitch (3 thread) before it gets put in the washing machine - if I am feeling very frugal, I can easily remove the stitching and lose NO fabric at all. Of course, the needle holes are still there, but they would usually be covered by a seam allowance.
    plus when serging you normally serge off a small amount anyways so it would take care of this issue. Love my serger
    Judy