Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rag Quilt before washing/drying

Blog Entries
    Here is what I spent my whole evening on. Here is the picture of it before it went into washing machine(where it still is as I sit and write this.)

I also did mine a little differently. I sewed it like I normally do but I sewed all around the edge too and then cut to that seam. So only the edges will have the rag look.

Here is my quilt tag sewn on. I got 100 of these from namemaker.com.
    Name:  Attachment-8893.jpe
Views: 112
Size:  29.3 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very very pretty!!! At least when you say you're gonna do some sewing, you actually do. My husband decided to ask me yesterday when i'm actually gonna do some sewing. I said, well, i've been doing lots of thinking about it lol. Oh, love your new labels :)

Blog Entries
    Thanks Barb. I like those labels too and they were a good price too. Only 35 dollars for 100.

Really? I usually make an iron on transfer label with my computer, but i dont know how long they will last before they fade from washing, but your labels will last. That's a good price too

Blog Entries
    Thats what I was looking for , a label that would last a lifetime. :)

Blog Entries
    That sure is pretty! Question: did you mark the x's first or just wing it? I'm winging it, and since it will be mine I don't care if they look real good, but I noticed others I've seen looked real good!

That's really nice!

Barb- you tell DH that you're in the 'planning' stage of quilting :):) Sometimes this stage takes a long, long time.... can't rush genius :)

Most awesome Henry!!! Another job well done:):):) It looks very cuddily and warm...

Blog Entries
    Another wonderful quilt Henry :D

looks good Henry. And look how far you've come since you first started. All of your squares are now matching up. Good Job.

Don't forget when drying the quilt to clean out your lint trap alot.... says the woman who had to dig a huge ball of it out of the dryer.... about every 10 minutes. At least you can lift the lint that way :):)

DJ
    Nice work!

Blog Entries
    Celeste: I winged it! :)

Blog Entries
    thanks Terri. Unfortunately, when I took it out of the dryer I noticed that two fo the seams had popped on the front so I have to go onto the front of the quilt and restitch and reinforce those two seams.

Blog Entries
    Thanks DJ:)

Blog Entries
    thanks Cathy and Alma

Blog Entries
    ccbear: thats what i was most excited about! LOL:)

Quote Originally Posted by henryparrish76
    thanks Terri. Unfortunately, when I took it out of the dryer I noticed that two fo the seams had popped on the front so I have to go onto the front of the quilt and restitch and reinforce those two seams.
    That's ok. You live and learn. Now you know that you will most likely have to reinforce before you make another.

Blog Entries
    Yes lesson well learned :)

Quote Originally Posted by henryparrish76
    Yes lesson well learned :)
    We all learn like that.
    I finally found what I wanted for the center for the Round Robin. I read thru the directions, then started cutting. Part of it had paper piecing. Not a problem. I cut all that I needed. I had JUST ENOUGH fabric to make the center. I started sewing, but the fabric wasn't covering the paper like it was supposed to. I tore it out, reprinted, sewed again. Did this 3 times. Was about to ball it all up and toss it in the corner. Hubby came in and saw me a bit frazzled and asked me what was wrong. I told him. He then picked up the paper with the templates on it and noticed down in the bottom corner in VERY SMALL print......"fabric measurement for template does not include 1/4 inch seam allowance".
    UGH!!
    Then WHY does it give the measurements on the paper for the cutting if it doesn't include the 1/4" allowance? See what I'm saying? It will say...cut 4 blocks 5 1/2" square. When in all actuallity, you need that square to be 6", to allow for the 1/4 inch seam. Why couldn't they just put that in the directions in the first place?
    Now I KNOW why I don't do BOM quilts. That is what this thing was/is. It's the finished pattern AFTER the BOM was done.

Ok, I'm done ranting!

lin
    Henry, I love your rag quilt! It's delightful as always. :) It looks darn good for "winging it" :D

tlr~it doesn't even make any sense that they tell you to cut your fabric a certain size when it doesn't meet the requirements to fill the space. That's just nuts!! I guess we should just cut everything a little bit bigger "just in case", or cut out a sample swatch from scrap fabric to make sure it will cover well. I dunno. Seems to me that the pattern maker should have simply included the seam allowance in the cutting instructions. I've seen template patterns that tell you to add in the seam allowances, but to actually tell you to cut it that size and then it doesn't fit? Nuts, I tell ya.

That looks cuddly, Henry. I really like those labels and that isn't a bad price either.

Blog Entries
    thanks lin heather and loretta

Quote Originally Posted by lin
    Henry, I love your rag quilt! It's delightful as always. :) It looks darn good for "winging it" :D

tlr~it doesn't even make any sense that they tell you to cut your fabric a certain size when it doesn't meet the requirements to fill the space. That's just nuts!! I guess we should just cut everything a little bit bigger "just in case", or cut out a sample swatch from scrap fabric to make sure it will cover well. I dunno. Seems to me that the pattern maker should have simply included the seam allowance in the cutting instructions. I've seen template patterns that tell you to add in the seam allowances, but to actually tell you to cut it that size and then it doesn't fit? Nuts, I tell ya.
    That's what I'm not understanding!
    It says to cut to a certain size in the directions for this "phase" of the quilt, but THEN on the template page, it says to add the seam allowance. Whoever made the directions is pretty much "butt backwards" if you ask me. I usually cut 1/2 inch bigger when paper piecing just to make sure it fits, but since I had JUST enough fabric to make this, I figured, what the heck,,,,,the designer KNEW what they were talking about and I trusted them. Well? Not no more! I will continue to cut 1/2 inch more when paper piecing.
    I need to change what this pattern is/was. It's NOT a block of the month....it was a MYSTERY quilt. Sorry, was confused for a sec. Happens at times....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast