Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Rag Quilt before washing/drying >

Rag Quilt before washing/drying

Rag Quilt before washing/drying

Old 04-29-2008, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by henryparrish76
Yes lesson well learned :)
We all learn like that.
I finally found what I wanted for the center for the Round Robin. I read thru the directions, then started cutting. Part of it had paper piecing. Not a problem. I cut all that I needed. I had JUST ENOUGH fabric to make the center. I started sewing, but the fabric wasn't covering the paper like it was supposed to. I tore it out, reprinted, sewed again. Did this 3 times. Was about to ball it all up and toss it in the corner. Hubby came in and saw me a bit frazzled and asked me what was wrong. I told him. He then picked up the paper with the templates on it and noticed down in the bottom corner in VERY SMALL print......"fabric measurement for template does not include 1/4 inch seam allowance".
UGH!!
Then WHY does it give the measurements on the paper for the cutting if it doesn't include the 1/4" allowance? See what I'm saying? It will say...cut 4 blocks 5 1/2" square. When in all actuallity, you need that square to be 6", to allow for the 1/4 inch seam. Why couldn't they just put that in the directions in the first place?
Now I KNOW why I don't do BOM quilts. That is what this thing was/is. It's the finished pattern AFTER the BOM was done.

Ok, I'm done ranting!
Old 04-30-2008, 04:24 AM
lin

Henry, I love your rag quilt! It's delightful as always. :) It looks darn good for "winging it" :D

tlr~it doesn't even make any sense that they tell you to cut your fabric a certain size when it doesn't meet the requirements to fill the space. That's just nuts!! I guess we should just cut everything a little bit bigger "just in case", or cut out a sample swatch from scrap fabric to make sure it will cover well. I dunno. Seems to me that the pattern maker should have simply included the seam allowance in the cutting instructions. I've seen template patterns that tell you to add in the seam allowances, but to actually tell you to cut it that size and then it doesn't fit? Nuts, I tell ya.
Old 04-30-2008, 04:32 AM

That looks cuddly, Henry. I really like those labels and that isn't a bad price either.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:58 PM

thanks lin heather and loretta
Old 04-30-2008, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by lin
Henry, I love your rag quilt! It's delightful as always. :) It looks darn good for "winging it" :D

tlr~it doesn't even make any sense that they tell you to cut your fabric a certain size when it doesn't meet the requirements to fill the space. That's just nuts!! I guess we should just cut everything a little bit bigger "just in case", or cut out a sample swatch from scrap fabric to make sure it will cover well. I dunno. Seems to me that the pattern maker should have simply included the seam allowance in the cutting instructions. I've seen template patterns that tell you to add in the seam allowances, but to actually tell you to cut it that size and then it doesn't fit? Nuts, I tell ya.
That's what I'm not understanding!
It says to cut to a certain size in the directions for this "phase" of the quilt, but THEN on the template page, it says to add the seam allowance. Whoever made the directions is pretty much "butt backwards" if you ask me. I usually cut 1/2 inch bigger when paper piecing just to make sure it fits, but since I had JUST enough fabric to make this, I figured, what the heck,,,,,the designer KNEW what they were talking about and I trusted them. Well? Not no more! I will continue to cut 1/2 inch more when paper piecing.
I need to change what this pattern is/was. It's NOT a block of the month....it was a MYSTERY quilt. Sorry, was confused for a sec. Happens at times....
Old 04-30-2008, 02:19 PM

Henry, your quilt looks adorable! As for lessons learned, each sewing day I learn something new, and sometimes the hard way :-) That is how we know we're moving forward, right? :lol:
Old 04-30-2008, 02:57 PM

Thanks Roben and you are exactly right! :)