Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HELP!!  DH wants a LA >

HELP!! DH wants a LA

HELP!! DH wants a LA

Old 04-22-2015, 12:07 PM

Default HELP!! DH wants a LA

DH has announced he wants to get me a LA. I'm still picking my teeth up off the floor! I need advice. What kind do you have? What features do I need? Pros and cons of various brands. This would be a stand up machine. Can't see getting a sitting down one.
Old 04-22-2015, 12:33 PM
Power Poster

My biggest recommendation to you is take a class in Longarming to decide if you even LIKE longarming. An Intro course that involves loading the top, batting and backing on the rack and doing different things, like panto, FMQ, and templates.

Most dealers offer this sort of thing as well as shops who have longarms available for rental.

Then go to the big shows and try out as MANY as you can. Set a budget. A rack set up can run from as little as $6K to as much as $36K.

Obviously the less computer and arm space you have the less it will cost. Consider your reach. I have a 26" and can barely utilize all that space because I don't have the reach. A 22" would have been fine. I have a stitch regulator and have no desire to have a computer driven LA.

Most people who start this journey do their research and homework for a year or more before finally settling on a make and model.
Old 04-22-2015, 12:35 PM
Power Poster

Have you been wanting one? If I had to wait for DH to say okay then I would get the top of the line, best quality out there. A Gammill or APQS would be my choice. I haven't heard many complaints about these machines at all. The guild members that are very happy with their LA have these brands.
Old 04-22-2015, 12:37 PM

Does your DH know how much LA's cost? If so, you better hang on to that man. LOL
Old 04-22-2015, 12:41 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Have you been wanting one? If I had to wait for DH to say okay then I would get the top of the line, best quality out there. A Gammill or APQS would be my choice. I haven't heard many complaints about these machines at all. The guild members that are very happy with their LA have these brands.
The best known name isn't always the best machine. Just because it costs the most, doesn't mean it is top of the line. There are many great LA out there. Innova is my top choice but I am biased. However, I know many proud "Innovians" who have upgraded from Gammill, APQS, A1 and Handiquilter to Innova.

When I was first searching I saw many, many used Gammills and APQS on the market for resale. I never came across an Innova. Those of us who have them do not give them up and if we upgrade, we upgrade to another Innova. Just my .02
Old 04-22-2015, 12:51 PM

Congratulations!!! AWESOME!!! Hurry up before he changes his mind LOL!!!
Old 04-22-2015, 01:26 PM
Power Poster

I found this on Facebook: Things to do before purchasing a long arm machine.

http://www.apqs.com/blog/2015/04/21/...ngarm-machine/
Old 04-22-2015, 01:33 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
The best known name isn't always the best machine. Just because it costs the most, doesn't mean it is top of the line. There are many great LA out there. Innova is my top choice but I am biased. However, I know many proud "Innovians" who have upgraded from Gammill, APQS, A1 and Handiquilter to Innova.

When I was first searching I saw many, many used Gammills and APQS on the market for resale. I never came across an Innova. Those of us who have them do not give them up and if we upgrade, we upgrade to another Innova. Just my .02

My friend had a Innova. She had nothing but problems but I think that was because she could not find any classes or training for it without leaving the state. Every brand has disgruntled customers and die hard fans. I'd go with the top of the line with nearby service and training.
Old 04-22-2015, 01:41 PM
Power Poster

Visit shows, shops, dealers & try out as many as you can, take your time & test drive different machines it is a large investment, find the one You like that has the features you like/want. I started with a HandiQuilter HQ 16 and recently upgraded to an HQ Avante. Love them both. I always recommend people to try to get one locally. If you have a local dealer you can take advantage of the free owners classes, you have support and service.
Old 04-22-2015, 01:45 PM

I bought an old 2nd owner KenQuilt for $1,000. Found that I liked LA but the machine, although it had a very nice stitch, lacked the front handles. Sold it on Craigslist for $900. then found a one owner HQ 16 for $5,000. Have been using it for 3 years and loving it.