Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Trip around the World - Kingsize - question >

Trip around the World - Kingsize - question

Trip around the World - Kingsize - question

Old 05-10-2015, 07:54 AM

Default Trip around the World - Kingsize - question

Has anyone ever tried a TATW in King size? I am so wanting to tackle this, but cannot get it in my brain how to do it.
I have watched Eleanor's tutorial on the strip piece version, but it is for a much smaller quilt. I suppose if I added more pieces, the result would be the same, but would it be manageable?

I would also rather my quilt be oblong, instead of square.

I appreciate any tips and insight!
Old 05-10-2015, 08:02 AM

I have made a couple in the past, but not with a strip pieced version. I just laid it out on the floor (before I had a design wall). To get an oblong instead of a square, just have more rows than columns. You want odd numbers of rows and columns so the design starts in the middle both ways. If for instance you used 5" charm squares to make it, you could do a 21 sq wide x23 sq long layout, which would finish about 94-1/2" x 103-1/2".

It helps to draw it out on graph paper. I've found that the center looks better in a mid tone, not a very dark or very light. Too dark or too light can look like a hole in the design.
Old 05-10-2015, 08:16 AM
Power Poster

My avatar is a Quilt Around the World but the name of the quilt is Color Splash. I have made 3 Queen size quilt and they do instructions for a King size.

Here is the book on sale: (current retail is $12.99)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/COLOR-SPLASH...56263875&rt=nc

Take a look at the 2nd picture and it just might start to make sense.
Old 05-10-2015, 09:30 AM

Have you looked at the examples in our gallery? Here's a link http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums16960.html

There are some bed-sized; and also some rectangular, so you can see how they look when they are not square.
Old 05-10-2015, 09:56 AM

after looking at the pic on ebay that maniac posted, i recognize the two halves picture -- it makes the most sense... i made a small one & wasn't all that pleased with color placement --- it will make or break all your hard work

i'm pretty sure i have a trip around the world pdf version that was free on the internet years ago -- not sure if it is still available, but if you're interested in it i can email it to you
Old 05-10-2015, 10:46 AM

Found it! it is by RJR fabrics & Michigan State U and is for an 80X80, but does have very detailed directions...
Old 05-10-2015, 10:51 AM

I did one about 30 years ago and decided to tie it. The piecing was okay on the machine.
Old 05-10-2015, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by just_the_scraps_m'am View Post
Found it! it is by RJR fabrics & Michigan State U and is for an 80X80, but does have very detailed directions...
Thank you all very much for the tips. I would very much like to have the info if you would email me.
I would like to make another one of these in the future, but strangely enough....I have started hand piecing this one!
I have been wanting to try it for a while, and finally bit the bullet. I am actually surprised at how fast it is coming together, and the TATW seems a good pattern for hand piecing. I just started my center and going around and around, on my 5th row now
Old 05-10-2015, 04:45 PM

Eleanor Burns has a good book for doing the Trip Around the World quilt, crib to king.
Old 05-11-2015, 04:53 AM
Power Poster

I have made two, not king size. I worked it out with fabrics I wanted to use on graph paper. It sure helped me not to make too many mistakes. I think they were actually triple around the world. My Daughter loaned me her book.