Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is your first quilt memory? >

What is your first quilt memory?

What is your first quilt memory?

Old 10-20-2022, 05:00 AM

We lived on a farm and my first memory is of a "quilting bee" where the neighbor ladies came to help my mom quilt and I was the 5 year old 'inspector' laying on the floor under the quilt. The ladies had such a good time.
Old 10-22-2022, 03:37 AM

My father had a red and white quilt that his grandmother made for him, it may have been a bears paw pattern. Well, mom and dad divorced when I was 7 and the quilt was left behind somehow. I slept with it every night thinking somehow it would bring daddy back. He did come back when I was 21 and by that time I no longer really cared...he's been gone to much of my life. When he passed on, his sister got the quilt.
Old 10-22-2022, 08:57 AM

When I was growing up we were very close to our next door neighbors, an older couple. The woman's mother was ancient, and everyone called her "Grandma." She was a quilter, and one day she brought my sister and me a little brown paper bag with fabric squares in it. We loved playing with those, using them to make clothes for clothespin dolls. "Grandma" was the first person who introduced me to the art of quilting.
Old 10-22-2022, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by dd View Post
We had a blue quilt tied with red that we were allowed to play with. We would make a club house under half the ping-pong table. This blue quilt was thick so that was always on the floor. Other blankets were clothespinned to the sides and a trouble light was strung through the brace on the leg. Had a real nice club house.
Mine was a playhouse under the Quilt frame. My big sister and I played there for hours all year long until she passed away when I was 6. After that I never went under the frame again. Mom and Grandma still quilted all year long with aunts and friends but I just never played under the frame. She was missing and I was too sad around the frame to play under it. The first quilt I remember is the dollhouse quilt Grandma drew freehand for my sister. It was buried with her. Still have the pattern but will neverr make one as I never had any little girls to give it to.
Old 10-22-2022, 11:57 AM

My grandparents (step-grandparents) lived in a very small 2 bedroom house. There was a bed in a small room in the garage where we would sleep if the house was full, a pull out bed from the sofa or if we were really lucky we got the spare bedroom. Everyone bed had quilts, more on the one in the garage because it was much colder in fall and winter inside there. My grandmother and stepmother were avid sewers and made quilts, clothes, doll clothes etc. .
Old 10-24-2022, 02:50 AM

My mother had a huge cedar chest/hope chest and she would occasionally get into it for something or other. But I remember that under the sliding drawer/box on top, there was a stack of quilts on one side that my Great-Great-Grandmother had made. My mother let me pick one out when I starting school to put on my full (sized) bed. I loved seeing the quilts. Unfortunately, when we moved across the state when I was 10, they were all sold along with the cedar chest, even the one I still had on my bed. I'm still sad about it, thinking back on it. But, it was what it was.
Old 10-24-2022, 03:48 AM

My very first quilt memory is the one quilt we had in the house. It was made by my great grandmother. I remember my aunt coming into my room (I must have been sick. Why else would I be in bed!). She pointed out different bits of fabric and told me what they came from, whose dress that was, etc. That must be why I love scrappy quilts. That quilt only survived in tatters but I have a piece of it framed.
Old 12-19-2022, 08:30 AM

Glad you pursued your dreams of having your own made quilt. My interest started when I was finished high school and my fiancee was in the Navy. I needed something to fill my time so my Mom gave me a cardboard triangle and all of her sewing scraps which I turned into my first quilt. We borrowed a large quilting frame from a neighbor, set it up in our basement and I tied it. I had it many years till it got frayed and then I used it as batting and covered it with another fabric, till that wore out too. I think it got chucked after that. But it did stir my interest in making quilts and making quilts for my children. I was hooked.
Old 12-19-2022, 11:37 AM

I don't have a memory of it, but I was blessed with an embroidered and hand quilted crib quilt when I was born and I am told that I slept under it until I outgrew it (then it wad put away until my daughter was born). My earliest memory is of a pieced butterfly quilt that was just the size for a baby doll that went everywhere with me, though the qult was never allowed out of the house (and that is probably why it is now in wonderful condition.
Old 12-19-2022, 11:57 AM

My earliest memory of a quilt is one that had a lot of green which was the backing, I think. I would rub my bottom lip while sucking my thumb. I can't remember how long I did that, but I was in first grade, or summer after, when I finally stopped sucking my thumb. That quilt wore out. The next quilt I slept under was a Sunbonnet Sue. It is the only quilt that my mother had that is still in the family and I have it. My nieces stole every quilt that she had stored in her trunk. Mother died in July the year she passed. They also stole other needlework that she had done as well as her friends had given her. I have wished for a long time now that I could see the "green" quilt again.