Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Oh what shall it be? >

Oh what shall it be?

Oh what shall it be?

Old 05-22-2015, 06:56 PM

I love you quilt Nam, but I thought about it a lot. I made a window to see how the squares would look in a hex but I would loose a bit. I really wanted to see all of the patch. So I did one block (the dark one) and used the a mix of the lighter values for star points. I wasn't too excited with that.

I got into eq and drafted the light block I figured I would do deeper star points and at least 4 of the patches would have the whole look. Then now I look at the light block and see that the star should be closer to white. I did pick two whites, the cream and one lighter. I like it tho, it looks like ghost star lol. Then I notice that as with any precut fabric, on patch wasn't quite the 5 inch.

Goodness, I am looking at that lovely white rose. I didn't even remember this fabric lol. I will have to fussy cut some of those for another project.....maybe I shouldn't be making stars with it lol....should find another cream fabric.

I left and went in the kitchen and threw a goody together, it is baking now lol. I added a sliver to that patch to even it out and it will disappear when I put the blocks together.

I think this quilt will be beautiful with all those patches. I am using the patches that are sort of plain but all have texture, to make the star block. I am doing a green one next.
Attached Thumbnails dsci0006.jpg   dsci0012.jpg   dsci0013.jpg  

Last edited by Rosyhf; 05-22-2015 at 07:03 PM.
Old 05-23-2015, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by Rosyhf View Post
I have quite a few of these 5x5 squares that I bought at hancocks of paducah years ago when they had a close out of these. I'm just playing with them. I know I can cut one swatch in four and make HST and do something but I will think upon it. There's about twice as much more that is on the ironing board lol...
Just yesterday Missouri Star Quilting had a tutorial on a quilt called "Floating Squares" using 5 inch squares which would look beautiful with your colorful 5 inch squares.
Old 05-23-2015, 04:44 AM

What you're doing will be beautiful. Another idea is what Man Sewing had on the net yesterday. Big squares and little squares surrounded in white. Cut a few of your squares into quarters for the small squares. You would see all of your blocks that way. I like your pattern better, but you lose some of the fabric.
Old 05-23-2015, 07:20 AM

Heck, I thought the first picture was your design! The beautiful colors with the white! Looked like a Hawaiian themed quilt. I like the white and squares....
Old 05-23-2015, 07:33 AM
Power Poster

Such pretty squares! I know you'll find a great project for them!
Old 05-23-2015, 07:40 AM

I have not read all of the messages so this might be a repeat, but I just watched a youtube that these would look darling in. Here is the web page and it is called Floating Squares by Jenny Doan.
https://www.youtube.com/user/MissouriQuiltCo
Old 05-23-2015, 08:35 AM

Oh I am green with envy of your beautiful squares. I'm not sure I would be able to do anything with them except play, like I used to with the buttons in my mother's tin.

I can see them in my new favorite pattern, which I call 4'n1 because I don't know it's real name. I would choose 2 colors, dark and light green for a soothing garden theme, or perhaps purple and green or red/burgundy and purple for something brighter. Cut the colors you add into 2.75" x 2.75" squares and make 4P's with the 2 colors.
Then sew your rows across: one of your 5" squares then one of the 4P, alternating across the row. Next row start with the 4P. Your 4P will make chains diagonally across your quilt.

Here is a table runner I made with this pattern, only I did it on point. I wouldn't do it on point for a quilt tho. I did this one as a scrappy, for that shabby chic look, but my next one will be just using 2 colors in the 4P.
Attached Thumbnails bevs-table-runner.jpg  
Old 05-23-2015, 08:55 AM

I really love your block with the cream star. If you have enough of the cream, I would probably make them all like that. The cream would give you consistency. Or the disappearing 4 patch..it is a simple block but looks like it's difficult. I'd use the same filler fabric for all of the blocks, once again for consistency. Can't wait to see what you come up with.
Old 05-23-2015, 09:01 AM

my mind goes in a whirl I can think of dozens of things to do with them and that is without cutting them up in fact there are 2 very good books out there one is Nickle quilts and the other is more Nickle quilts lots of patterns and good directions I have used both books and I think you might still be able to find them on ebay or amazon
Old 05-23-2015, 10:14 AM

Thanks Ladies, I checked out everything and will take a break and let my brain work on it lol. I did have a thought tho. When four blocks are sewed together, they will form four of the fabric squares, so the look will be....a star and four squares. If I alternated light and dark block? ok back to cleaning and reorganizing my little private room ( the room of dolls and quilts and just comfort lol) and then I will be back and see what my brain is telling me. I can make a few more blocks. I think I will stick with the cream star because there are lots of squared that don't have flowers and I will use those for the star points. Here is the green one before I went to bed at 1.30 am lol. oh, and my goody that I baked from scratch was soooo good.
Attached Thumbnails 3-blocks.jpg   cake.jpg