Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is your favorite part of making a quilt? >

What is your favorite part of making a quilt?

What is your favorite part of making a quilt?

Old 05-28-2015, 06:48 AM

I like giving them with a the love I've sewn into every stitch. This includes the community quilts that I get to be a part of making.

I'm learning machine quilting and I may come to love that part too.
Old 05-28-2015, 07:01 AM

Ha! Does buying fabric count? I don't have a long arm, but I absolutely love the quilting step. To me, this is when it really starts to look and feel like a quilt, and starts to come together. I've had several projects that I think just look awful, but I sucked it up and finished them anyway, and lo and behold, once they are quilted, I love them! Design is a step I both love and loath. Generally, I'll change my design several times after making the first block. I've learned that I can't cut everything at once because if I do, I'll generally end up with a ufo or scraps I decide not to use for that project. I have to make about 3 blocks, one at a time before I'm satisfied and I can cut for the rest of the quilt.

I used to hate binding, but now that I've gotten better at it, I don't mind it. I get bored with cutting. There is so much to keep organized in terms of strips and pieces. If I'm making something that uses hsts, I'll usually cut two strip sets at a time and then cut, sew and press the hsts before I make another two strip sets. I just get bored cutting strips...
Old 05-28-2015, 08:34 AM

Gifting or using the Quilt.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by FabStripper View Post
My favourite part of making a quilt is pulling the quilt out of the dryer and seeing all the dimples.
Love your answer. I hadn't thought of that and I think I agree with you. Next favorite is piecing and seeing the pattern come together. Least favorite is binding. I can't hand sew anymore, my machine binding is terrible. Thankfully, I have a wonderful daughter who binds for me.
Old 05-28-2015, 01:02 PM

My favorite part is when I get it totally finished. The last hand sewn stitch in the binding. Love the entire process of making the quilt from picking out the pattern and fabrics, to cutting and sewing it back together, even pressing all those nasty seams don't bother me...............my iron is my friend......:-). Then onto deciding what to quilt on it and then the quilting of it and watching how its transformed into a beautiful piece of your talent.
Old 05-28-2015, 02:26 PM

I love picking out the fabrics, but not putting away the rejects after I've dragged out dozens to choose from. LOL
Next I love piecing the blocks, then sewing them into the flimsy.
Least favorite is pinning the layers because it plays heck with my back and takes me a day or two to recover. Next least favorite is the quilting because I do it on my DSM and it can be difficult and painful to manhandle the quilt during that part.
Old 05-28-2015, 02:50 PM

Default Binding

Originally Posted by audsgirl View Post
I'm with you, Mamaw322. I really enjoy the binding part. The quilting is the worst part for me. I hate it.

Leslie
I just love doing the binding. It is the fun part of finishing a beautiful project and seeing how it is framed in a beautiful binding
Old 05-28-2015, 04:02 PM

I am a binding person, too...... but enjoy piecing and choosing quilting pattern
Old 05-28-2015, 04:24 PM

Hands down, my favorite part is the planning. I like to piece, I like to hand sew the binding but planning really is the mental challenge that I love!!
Old 05-28-2015, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
Since I started longarming my favorite part is the quilting. Second favorite is picking out the fabrics.
I'm with you!