Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
panic! how to get machine grease out of white quilt top? >

panic! how to get machine grease out of white quilt top?

panic! how to get machine grease out of white quilt top?

Old 06-04-2015, 07:53 AM

Default panic! how to get machine grease out of white quilt top?

hi!

i bought a new sewing machine and was super excited to start using it. after a warm up, i got down to business on a quilting project that compelled the new machine's purcahse.

i didn't notice until it was too late that there was black machine grease running down the needle bar

now i have 6 ugly black stains on the quilt. i washed it, as it's finished and they didn't come out.

it's out on the line right now, and my suspicion is that i should deal with it before it gets dry.

any magic solutions out there? this is a commissioned piece and i am really worried...

thanks!

aileen
Old 06-04-2015, 08:24 AM
Power Poster

Is it a quilt top or finished quilt? If it is a quilt top I would put a drop of clear dish soap on the spot, rub it in a bit and drip hot water from my tea kettle through it. Try in on a scrap of white fabric first to see how it goes. You could also try a tide spot cleaner pen on the spot but again try on a scrap first.
If it is a finished quilt, I would make sure the backing fabric is colour fast before doing anything. You don't want a colour bleed to come to the front. Also be careful of whatever you try on the front doesn't bleach the backing.
Old 06-04-2015, 08:52 AM
Power Poster

I have had good luck with Grandma's Spot Remover:
http://www.amazon.com/Grandmas-Secre...dp/B0021JD2S0/
It may be available locally for you. What I like about this stain remover is (1) it almost always works, and (2) it doesn't bleach or weaken the fabric. Just follow the directions about how long to leave it on before washing the quilt.

I am not convinced that drying will affect ease of getting the stain out. It's always better to use a stain remover product before drying, but it may not matter.
Old 06-04-2015, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
I have had good luck with Grandma's Spot Remover:
http://www.amazon.com/Grandmas-Secre...dp/B0021JD2S0/
It may be available locally for you. What I like about this stain remover is (1) it almost always works, and (2) it doesn't bleach or weaken the fabric. Just follow the directions about how long to leave it on before washing the quilt.

I am not convinced that drying will affect ease of getting the stain out. It's always better to use a stain remover product before drying, but it may not matter.
I agree I have used this product several times and so far it has always worked
Old 06-04-2015, 09:29 AM

Try Dawn dish liquid. It's always worked on grease and oil stains for me. They use it to clean up wildlife after an oil spill. Good luck!
Old 06-04-2015, 09:54 AM

Yes keep treating with dawn and oxi clean alternating them.It will come out. Luann
Old 06-04-2015, 09:58 AM
Power Poster

The hand cleaner that comes in a tub that mechanics use to get nasty grease off their hands and clothes will work perfectly. I keep a tub of it, bought it at a hardware store, in the laundry.
Old 06-04-2015, 10:49 AM

I used to work for a company that manufactured cheerleading uniforms. The tops were knit and the knitting machines would often leave black grease on the fabric. We used this spray to get the grease out. It's Sullivan's Fast Spot Remover. You spray it on the spot, wait for it to dry, then launder. I usually get it at my local Hancock's Fabrics.

eta: I wonder if they've discontinued it! I just tried to find a picture of the can online and can't locate one. What a bummer, I'll be so disappointed if it's no longer available!!
Old 06-04-2015, 11:51 AM
Power Poster

I bought Grandma's and may just have well used plain water. Dawn is good and has a spot remover in a spray bottle. Used on DH's greasy pants. Doesn't have to set long either.
Old 06-04-2015, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I used to work for a company that manufactured cheerleading uniforms. The tops were knit and the knitting machines would often leave black grease on the fabric. We used this spray to get the grease out. It's Sullivan's Fast Spot Remover. You spray it on the spot, wait for it to dry, then launder. I usually get it at my local Hancock's Fabrics.

eta: I wonder if they've discontinued it! I just tried to find a picture of the can online and can't locate one. What a bummer, I'll be so disappointed if it's no longer available!!
Hope you find your beloved cleaner! I feel the same way about K2R Spot Cleaner which definitely has been discontinued. Fell prey to the whole 'eliminate phosphate' thing.

Back to the original question...I'd try Dawn dish soap as well. Might need to 'scrub' a bit with a soft toothbrush but should eventually come out. And definitely do this while it is still wet/damp or re-wet before applying.