Old 06-07-2015, 08:30 AM
Power Poster

Default "Donations" of quilting/sewing items - - -

If/When someone offers you something - do you

1) blindly accept whatever it is and deal with it when you get home

2) ask to look it over and then pick and choose at the time

3) avoid taking/getting donations

4) other

I have gotten a lot more selective about what I bring home - but I have slipped into the first choice at times - and regretted it!
Old 06-07-2015, 09:04 AM

It depends...who is doing the offering and why.
Is it a family member who would be hurt if you decline the offering? That's the hardest one.
Or is it someone you don't know well?
Did someone find something "wonderful" at a yard sale, etc. and pick it up for you, just sure you'd love it, and you feel obligated?
Are there strings attached...expectations that you will treasure whatever the item is and never get rid of it? Would they be offended if you re-gift, sell or otherwise dispose of the item?
Or is it from someone who just wants to re-home something and is not concerned with what happens next?

I was gifted with part of a stash of a deceased quilter I never knew met. A friend ran into the woman's family members desperately trying to clear out her apartment. My friend does not sew, but she split the stash between me and another quilter. Luckily the fabric came from smoke-free home and most of it was great. However, I'm going to re-home some of the fabric and sewing notions I'll never use.
Old 06-07-2015, 09:13 AM

I usually say thank you for thinking of me, and deal with the aftermath later. Sometimes, I keep what i know i will use and pass on the rest, or I say no thank you and that I already have more than I can ever use. People seem to be okay with that.

You are under no obligation just because you sew ;-)
Old 06-07-2015, 10:06 AM
Power Poster

Like* teacup* stated, lots of different scenarios, so it depends. I've turned down plenty- sometimes suggesting a different/better place to donate. I've accepted then passed on, donated, or otherwise disposed of and I've accepted, kept and used. There have been a couple situations where I was invited to look through & take what I wanted and I have happily done that too.
I recently had a family member ( I've not seen had contact with in 15 years) send me a message saying she had an old quilt top and a bunch of material she didn't want ( she doesn't sew at all), would I like the stuff? I hesitantly said I guess.... She happend to be at a family get together, asked my sister if she could get this to me. Sister said yes. When my sister later went to her car she found the whole trunk and backseat crammed full of garbage bags.... YIKES! What the heck- she went back in & asked about it- the answer.... I cleaned out my closet and since Colleen sews I thought she could cut the stuff up- I didn't want to give it to goodwill- they charge too much for clothes....
My sister who happens to drive by salvation army store on her way to work stopped in the next day and dropped off all the bags of clothes- kept the bag that was ( supposed to be) the quilt top.
( I bless my sister every day!) The quilt top turned out to be a big comforter someone cut one end off from...
You just never know.....
Old 06-07-2015, 11:19 AM
Power Poster

I'm always gifted with someone's clean out and 'I know you sew' relatives. I tell them up front I may not keep any of it but will pass it on to others that can use it. A few weeks ago I was asked if I would take rolls of fabric that has been in a neighbor's MIL's house for years. I said okay and 18 large round bolts of tee shirt/knit fabric was brought to me. Ugh. I toted it all to my guild. Some will be used for adult bibs, some for raggedy edge blankets, chemo hats, etc for community service. Still way to much for us to use up in several years.
Old 06-07-2015, 01:32 PM

I always thank them very much for thinking of me, and then I tell them that I will look at all of it, keep what I think I can use, and donate the rest to my Project Linus group, so that other ladies can also make use of it all for doing kids quilts. That always seems to satisfy the giver, knowing that the items will go to a good use.
Old 06-07-2015, 06:01 PM

I will usually look through all of it, take what I want and see if any of my friends want any, what's left will be donated.
Old 06-07-2015, 07:46 PM

I have been "gifted" bags of fabric in the past. I now ask when someone "gifts" me fabric , if they mind if I donate any of the contents if I find that I can't make best use of the contents. Typically the person just wants to clean out the fabric or related items.
Old 06-07-2015, 08:00 PM

It depends on who is offering. A good friend passed and I was given all her "sewing stuff". I told them I would take what I wanted and donate to our church what they could use and the rest would go to Goodwill. I kept what meant a lot to me -- she and I had picked out fabric together and I kept that. The church got most of the fabric for charity quilts, the Sunday School and Pre-school got a bunch of craft stuff and the rest went to Goodwill -- even gave the oil paints to the high school art teacher. I make sure the folks who offer me stuff know I won't keep it all and the family needs to know that but they don't always have any idea how to dispose of the large quantities of fabric and craft stuff that we quilters/crafters tend to accumulate and I like to help out friends when I can. Most folks just want to know that things that can be used find a good home.
Old 06-07-2015, 11:41 PM

Mostly it all ends up in my stash. Lol! Eventually it will get used one way or another. I make no promises about timeliness in using it though.