Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Experience with Warm and Plush batting? >

Experience with Warm and Plush batting?

Experience with Warm and Plush batting?

Old 06-15-2015, 12:16 PM

Default Experience with Warm and Plush batting?

I have a project that is apparently possessed. I have unsewn it more than anything else I have ever made. Pattern had mistakes that I didn't catch, etc. argh. So. I finally have it pieced and I love it. Until today. My DH helped me spray baste it last week....used the same basting spray I always use...today, I decided to do the SITD because I am still pondering how I will quilt it, and thought I would get the "easy" part out of the way. After sewing for an hour, decided it was time for a break....took the quilt out of my DSM to lay it on the floor, and the backing is all puckered and wrinkled! When I took a better look at it, the backing is very loose-I would swear we never spray basted it! I am using Warm and Plush batting for the first time.....hmmmm.....maybe it doesn't like spray basting? Help! I now have lots of unsewing to do....again.... Any thoughts? Thank you!
Old 06-15-2015, 12:41 PM
Power Poster

I've used warm & plush on my last couple of projects. I have a long arm, so I can't help with the spray basting issue, I do know there is no scrim like W&N. Also, I thought that it had a softer? fluffier? finish than W&N which might make the spray adhesive more difficult to stick to. I really like the extra loft, I didn't make any adjustments to tension. I did note that it has to be quilted more closely than W&N.
Old 06-15-2015, 01:04 PM
Power Poster

Did you wash the backing fabric? If not, that may be the reason for the basting spray not bonding well. Some fabrics have a finish on them that does not connect well with basting spray.
Old 06-15-2015, 01:12 PM

You need to contact the Warm company and ask them the same questions. The batting you used is new and doesn't have any scrim to attach to. Will be interested in what you learn...
Old 06-15-2015, 01:22 PM

Bummer... I have not been able to find Warm n Plush anywhere but online. It sounds like a great product, but I like to spray baste, so thanks for the heads-up!
Old 06-15-2015, 01:46 PM

I will email the company and let you know what they say. This batting is softer and a bit fluffier than Warm and White which is why I am excited to use it!
I did not prewashed the backing fabric-I never do, because I love to wash completed quilts and have them get soft and crinkly.....thanks, all!
Old 06-15-2015, 02:08 PM

It could be the time between the spraying and the quilting. It seems I've heard this before.
Old 06-15-2015, 02:48 PM

Wow-great customer service! Took less than an hour to receive a reply from the Warm Company! Here is the info I was provided:

"Warm & Plush is not compatible with basting spray as stated here on our website about product care:
http://www.warmcompany.com/products/...ton/warm-plush
Because the Warm & Plush does not have a polypropylene scrim like our Warm & Natural and Warm & White, the basting spray has the ability to pull the batting apart as the fine cotton fibers are only needle punched into themselves. We do not use any resins or glues in our products, making the Warm & Plush a little more delicate than some of our other battings."

I checked, and this info is not on the packaging...my reply comment included this is important info to have at the point of sale.
Perhaps I should have researched more before purchasing, but I have never had an issue with any of their other products-never entered my mind yo read anything other than the packaging.
They are kindly sending me a replacement.
Old 06-15-2015, 05:48 PM

You can stitch that up to 6". What does that mean exactly? A six inch square would be fine and it won't bunch up after washing? What if you are machine stitching it 2" by 8 inches, does that mean the 8 inches is too long then? I have always wandered how they figured that.
Old 06-15-2015, 05:51 PM
Power Poster

If the info was NOT anywhere on the packaging - I think I would raise a fuss with the company.