Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Paper Piecing Resources? >

Paper Piecing Resources?

Paper Piecing Resources?

Old 08-11-2015, 08:15 AM

Default Paper Piecing Resources?

Good Morning!

I'm still pretty new to quilting...I would like to learn a bit more about paper piecing and wanted to ask if you all had suggestions for a website or link on these boards to maybe outline the basics? Maybe even the different types of paper piecing?

Thanks in Advance
Old 08-11-2015, 08:19 AM
Power Poster

Carol Doak is a wealth of information. http://www.caroldoak.com/index.php
go to her free patterns page and there is a 'simple' pattern to start with
Old 08-11-2015, 09:03 AM

Quilterscache.com is great too. Lots of patterns and tutorials too.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:10 AM
Power Poster

It depends on what you are looking for. There is a paperless paper piecing tutorial on QB where you fold the freezer paper back and stitch next to it. There is the paper piecing where you sew through the paper on lines like Carol Doak. There is paper foundation paper like Bonnie Hunter's Spiderweb free pattern at quiltville.blogspot.ca
Old 08-11-2015, 09:24 AM

I started with Quilterscache's instructions and then some free online patterns. Then I moved to Carol Doak's patterns and on to Judy Niemeyer and Norah McMeeking. I do the actual paper piecing where I sew on the lines. Both with JN and NM, I bought the preprinted papers. For CD, I bought a book and found that I had a tough time with copying the patterns -- I thought all the blocks were the same size and they ended up different somehow...and honestly I've never gone back to figure out how to fit them together to finish.

However the preprinted ones can be pricey, so I try to find them on resale on ebay, etc for people who bought and never made!
Old 08-11-2015, 09:41 AM

and this link just popped up when I logged back in LOL
http://www.quiltingboard.com/resourc...asics-131.html

I also ordered Katja Marek's "New Hexigon" book it has some info on paper piecing as well, and have a "basics" starter kit consisting of a few 2.5in squares, paper and instructions to give it a try...wish me luck!

And thank you for your advice, I appreciate it more than you know. I will check out Carol Doan this week I love Judy Niemeyers work! Inspiring, beautiful and extremely intimidating LOL
Old 08-11-2015, 10:42 AM

There's also English Paper Piecing which is typically done by hand sewing. Faves right now are hexagons. Cut out fabric roughly the shape of the paper piece that you need covered. Fold the raw edges over the paper and either glue down or baste with thread. Then typically a 'whip stitch' sew the 2 pieces together.

Traditional paper piecing (sewing through the lines on the paper) can be a bit cumbersome to figure out initially - kind of like sewing upside down and backwards - but once you get the hang of it, it is an incredibly precise method. I had to take a class at my LQS before I really 'got it'. Just wasn't visualizing it well enough from online sources. Well worth the $$ for that class.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:41 AM
Power Poster

Carol Doak!!!! Great tutorials, lots of help, free blocks. A Great place to start!
Old 08-11-2015, 12:00 PM

I too would suggest Carol Doaks site - lots of information and resources
Old 08-11-2015, 01:37 PM

I am not that experienced...maybe 7 quilts and one runner to my credit, but paper piecing can be one of the most admired and yet dreaded techniques. I took three paper piecing Craftsy classes from two of the name brand teachers that have already been mentioned and Peggy Martin and felt they were all worthwhile...especially when they go on sale! However, I also found a different freezer paper method on uTube that can only be described as magical; where you iron, fold back, sew along the fold and repeat. I keep a smaller stitch, so that if I make an error and do a smaller than 1/4" seam allowance, the fabrics are still well anchored and that allowed me to toss out my add a quarter ruler, made me less of a slave to the process, more product oriented and greatly added to producing more timely and satisfying results. Sewing through the paper can be a terrible pain, especially when it comes to ripping the fabrics free of the newsprint and copying patterns onto freezer paper, that are larger than legal sized, has its own set of additional problems. It was previously mentioned that assuming your printer is accurate can be close to "the kiss of death" and Staples etc....rightfully refuse when they see anything with copyright.

The big plus about this technique ( using newsprint or freezer paper) is that even an inexperienced quilter with a second hand featherweight can produce some amazing curves, sharp points and blazingly complicated patterns... if you can wrap your head around the process. Everyone does it slightly different and it might require you to do a distillation of several techniques to find your own approach and method, but when you get it and are diligent...WOW!

P.S. I posted a few comments on this board previously that might help? I think you can easily search for them and they might be a bit more specific as to where to look for techniques. The other thing you need to know is that I am a guy and not wanting to follow directions is part of our DNA...and if I can make my avatar, almost ANYONE can paper piece!