Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Rolling Cart Comparison: Ikea Raskog vs. Target Room Essentials >

Rolling Cart Comparison: Ikea Raskog vs. Target Room Essentials

Rolling Cart Comparison: Ikea Raskog vs. Target Room Essentials

Old 08-19-2015, 07:36 PM

Default Rolling Cart Comparison: Ikea Raskog vs. Target Room Essentials

For quite a while, I had been wanting one of those adorable turquoise Raskog carts from Ikea for my sewing room. I finally broke down about a month ago and ordered one. Since I'm not close enough to Ikea to just go and pick one up, I had to pay a shipping cost of $10 in addition to the cost of the cart, which is $29.99, making it a total of $39.99.

Last week while wandering through Target, I saw their version of the rolling cart, which is part of the Room Essentials line. The carts are available in either white or grey, at a price of $39.99. Hmmm... I wondered... is sure does look a lot like the Ikea cart, I wonder if it's the same quality? I wanted another cart to use for my knitting/crocheting stuff in another room, so I couldn't resist buying the Target cart, too. (It's actually on sale this week for $35.99.)

So, here's my unscientific appraisal of both carts, in case anyone is interested!

The size of the shelves on both carts is exactly the same – each shelf is 16” wide and 12” deep. The sides on the Ikea cart are higher at 3.5”; the sides on the Target cart are only 2.5”. The overall height of the Ikea cart, from the floor to the top of the top shelf's side, is 31”. The Target cart is 27” from the floor to the top of the top shelf's side, and the handles add another 3” for an overall height of 30”.

Both carts have a sort of basketweave-like bottom on each shelf, so in either case if you have little items, you'll need to line the shelves with something to prevent things from falling through. Both units have the same type of casters, and both are very easy to roll about.

Generally speaking, the Ikea cart is quite a bit heavier when empty, and the quality and strength of the metal seems better. (It took some muscle for me to carry it upstairs!) The Ikea cart was also much fussier to assemble but is sturdier. It has some seriously large nuts and bolts holding the shelves onto the sides. The shelves on the Target cart are simply attached with shorter fat Phillips-head screws, but without the extra hardware of the Ikea cart. The Target cart has the handles on top for ease of movement. The Ikea cart needs to be moved by pushing or pulling on the side rails or the shelves.

If I were going to buy another cart, my preference would definitely be the Ikea! But the lighter-weight Target cart might be better for some folks. I think the cart is a seasonal item (the Room Essentials line is heavily marketed toward dorm decor), so I'd make a beeline over there if you want one!

Here are a couple of photos for comparison. Sorry they're a little blurry, they were taken with my phone.
Attached Thumbnails carts-1-rev.jpg   carts-2-rev.jpg  
Old 08-19-2015, 07:51 PM

Those are both nice looking carts. Thanks for the review.
Old 08-19-2015, 07:53 PM

Great review,, thank you
Old 08-20-2015, 04:56 AM

Thanks for the review. The slight difference in height may be just what I need to slide it under my quilting tables.
Old 08-20-2015, 05:44 AM

Thanks for reviews...I have never looked at these! Hmmm.
Old 08-20-2015, 05:46 AM
Power Poster

Great review. I like the IKEA cart with the deeper drawers. Did you check on Walmart?? Shipping is free with a $35. order.
Old 08-20-2015, 06:26 AM

It looks like the trays of the Ikea cart are deeper and I sure would prefer that. Nice review.
Old 08-20-2015, 06:44 AM

The IKEA one is better made - the one at Target the screws will loosen after a while and you will lose them. I'd stick with the IKEA version.
Old 08-20-2015, 06:46 AM

Red face

*** I like the Ikea one. Looks sturdier. Nice color to.
*** Good comparison - I would hire you to critique my products.
Old 08-20-2015, 06:54 AM

Thanks for the heads up. I have 2 of the IKEA Carts and love them. I have a friend who was looking at the Target one so I will let her know you review