Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rethinking Accuquilt: >

Rethinking Accuquilt:

Rethinking Accuquilt:

Old 08-22-2015, 09:00 PM

Default Rethinking Accuquilt:

Six years ago a received the Accuquilt Go as a retirement gift. I only bought a couple of dies at that time.
I found it a little limited and didn’t use it much. I’m here to say it’s a whole new world with Accuquilt today.
They offer a huge selection and they do have a summer sale going on right now. They show multiple uses for the different dies.
Perhaps it is that I’m getting older and my eyesight and patience isn’t as good as it use to be but I’m in love with some of the new dies. I love the way everything fits together perfectly!!!! I’ve completed an Ohio Star quilt and a Hunter’s Star quilt. So fast, easy and precise. There are tons of You Tube videos and Tutorials. Eleanor Burns does a lot of detailed tutes for this product. They even have a plug in model. (I have the crank one).
Some people complain that there is waste of fabric but I can’t tell you how many times I’ve gone to cut with the rotary cutter and either the ruler moves, the fabric moves, I move or maybe the house is moving (yep we live in earthquake country). Whatever the reason I’ve wasted fabric.
If you haven’t looked at Accuquilt in a while you just might want to check it out.
Old 08-22-2015, 09:15 PM
Power Poster

Glad you are getting good use of it. The older I get, the less my body lets me do and any labor saving device is welcome.
Old 08-22-2015, 09:19 PM

I have one and enjoy it when I use it. My friend has one also and we can borrow each others dyes. We do have a few of the same but many are unique.
I usually buy the dyes when they are on sale I got the butterfly one and am doing them in batics.....so beautiful.
Old 08-22-2015, 09:34 PM

I totally agree. I bought a Studio and have never looked back. I don't do applique but could see how they would be great for that. I had health and body problems so it was limiting me to what I could cut out and sew. If I cut out one night I couldn't do any sewing because I hurt too much. So now with my Studio I can cut and sew in the same day and that has really helped me out. I liked the Studio because of the amount of fabric you could cut at the same time which is better for me as well. So fast and cut correctly. The Studio isn't much more expensive but the dies are, so I wait until a good sale comes on. They are so worth it. I have lots of strips and squares, triangles and whatever and am so please with it. You still have to press your fabric and prepare for fabric like any other time but it just saves me time and pain, can't say enough about accuquilt. I also have the crank one and the one that has a designated spot to cut, it isn't the one that folds up, but I still love it totally!
Old 08-22-2015, 10:50 PM

I love my GO. It's awesome to be able to cut out a king size quilt in a few hours rather than in a few days. The pieces are cut out perfectly and fit together like a dream. My family knows they can't go wrong when they gift me with a die on my birthday, Christmas or Mother's Day. They come in all price ranges and they all know it's OK to pool their money if the one they select is one of the more expensive ones.
Old 08-23-2015, 01:05 AM

DH gifted me the GO Big last Christmas because he knew I'd use it. It will really get use when I'm recuperating from getting my knee replaced in November.
Old 08-23-2015, 03:54 AM

Since 90% of the quilts I make are scrap (sqs, rectangles, maybe HST's), I've wondered about getting a Accuquilt, and wondered about how much time, material, etc. it would save. Sounds' like maybe I should be re-thinking this too.
Old 08-23-2015, 04:06 AM

I was looking for something else and noticed overstock.com has TONS of dies yesterday. Don't know how the prices compare.
Old 08-23-2015, 04:32 AM
Power Poster

I can't imagine doing curved piecing without die cut pieces. As you use the tool more often, you will figure out the best fabric placement and will waste less. If the die doesn't have contrasting foam to indicate the cut area, use a silver metallic sharpie to mark just outside the blade. This gives you a good guide to place the fabric.
Old 08-23-2015, 04:46 AM

I love my GO and basically use it for strip cutting. I make a lot of scrappy quilts and I love the straight strips. The ones I used to cut with my rotary cutter tended to be more lie a "V".