Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
rethinking freezer paper applique >

rethinking freezer paper applique

rethinking freezer paper applique

Old 03-14-2010, 09:34 AM

First of all - apologies to the person here that I gave this idea to. Second of all- I learned this way about fifteen years ago and still have a bit of hero-worship surrounding the person who taught me this way.

So, I am working on a quilt challenge that is due soon. I used the freezer paper ironed on the applique letters, gluestick the edges under, pin to background, stitch around with YLI silk thread. I also used my new Bohn ceramic pencil to mark the line for my letters to 'sit' on.

Time to slit the back and remove the freezer paper. It's hanging on like a bear. I forget the trick to moisten it for release. I am tugging that stuff out. (This was yesterday). Gave up. Today, decided to erase the little green line and accidentally tugged on one of the letters. (Green not coming out as easily as I'd like so I did get a little aggressive). The silk thread snapped. :(. Moistened the remaining letter. That paper slipped right out but left a gooey mess from the glue stick I used.

I had already reread a section of my Quilter's Ultimate Visual Guide and had decided to try the freezer paper up application. I think this will be salvage-able. But, BOY, someone once told me if you learn one new thing from a project, you are doing well. I am batting a thousand on this one. Good thing I really like what I'm doing. (Yes, I'll post a picture when finished).

For now, it's time to take a break and come back with refreshed eyes.

Thanks for 'listening'!
lots2do
Old 03-14-2010, 09:45 AM

Wow, that was a challenge.

I use freezer paper all the time, but never have used the glue stick. Sometimes,I have stitched the freezer paper when I caught the edge of the paper with my stitches. I prefer, instead of cutting the back when I have a little over an inch left to stitch down, I pull it out from the side. I have done this for 20 years without using glue stick. I have also cut the back, just prefer pulling out the freezer paper without cutting the fabric. But I also hand applique.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:47 AM
bj

In a quilt group I was in once, one of the older ladies did a demo of applique using freezer paper that I thought was totally wonderful. She ironed the freezer paper to the right side of the fabric, trimming the fabric a little larger than the paper. Used pins to anchor it to the foundation fabric, then did needle turn (I think that's the term she used) applique to tuck the edges under the edge of the paper and blind stitched it in place. Then, you just peel the freezer paper off and can reuse it. I guess it would only work for hand applique, not machine, but it was very easy to do. We did flowers, hearts, and circles. The curves turned out very nice. And you didn't have to clip into the fabric from behind and all the edges were secured with the "pattern" in place.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:12 AM
Power Poster

I tried the freezer paper applique and it didn't work to well for me. I may not have done it right, but I've never tried it again.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:05 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by lots2do
Time to slit the back and remove the freezer paper. It's hanging on like a bear.
Rule #214: not all glue sticks are created equal. I recently switched glue sticks to try a new brand and ran into the same problem. Fortunately, I had tested it on a scrap piece first before committing to a real block. Sorry you have to struggle so.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:06 AM

Thank you,
I will definitely not use the glue stick again. I could try the needleturn way as well.
It has been a challenge! :) Hopefully, a worthwhile one!
lots2do
Old 03-14-2010, 11:08 AM

Oh Mad-
We must have been typing at the same time. Yes, that did cross my mind. And, perhaps, the glue sticks fifteen years ago were not as heavy duty as the ones we have now.
:)
Old 03-14-2010, 11:43 AM
Power Poster

I like the Dritz one and tried a Uhu stick. Both of them say "washable" and I think that is key. When you think about it - most people use glue sticks TO STICK things together that are supposed to STAY TOGETHER. lol Leave it to us quilters to want the "oh - but I only want it to stay until I don't want it to stay anymore" type. LOL.

BTW: I got upset about the amount of glue that was still in the tube when the pushy-thingy wouldn't extend any further. So I used a semi-stiff little brush to transfer the rest of the glue. Those sticks ain't cheap - gotta get it all!
Old 03-14-2010, 11:45 AM
Power Poster

Are you doing hand applique or machine applique?

I do machine applique using freezer paper. Instead of a glue stick, I use Elmer's washable school paste. This is the old-fashioned kind of paper paste we used to use in kindergarten, that smells like peppermint. I smooth it on with a finger, which makes it go really fast. I'm kind of clumsy and always got really frustrated with the glue sticks, which is why I tried the paper paste. Walmart used to carry it with other school supplies, but it must not be so popular anymore; I had to order my last batch online.

Anyway, I have found the freezer paper easy to remove in the following way. I wait until the entire quilt top is done, then remove the background fabric from behind the appliques. I lay the quilt top out, wrong side up, on my kitchen counter and dip my finger in a bowl of water to thoroughly moisten the remaining edge around each applique. (Sometimes I spray the water on.) I wait a few minutes to let the water reach the paste and soften it. Then I run my finger underneath each edge and remove the paper. My machine stitches catch only a few threads of the applique, so I typically have no problem at all removing the freezer paper this way. If the stitching has caught the edge of the freezer paper, I just dampen it some more to soften the paper and it pulls out easily.

I have tried other methods, but this one consistently gives me the exact applique edges I want. Even pasting the edges under seems to go fast because I do it while watching tv. Removing the freezer paper seems to go fast for me because I do it all at one time -- usually takes under an hour for a quilt top.
Old 03-14-2010, 03:08 PM

Thank you Prism. Your explanation makes perfect sense. I am hand appliquing this time but would like to try machine as well. And I remember that paste! Wonder if I can find it around here.
Part of the problem may have been that I used a superwide glue stick. It is supposed to be washable but this is the kind I prefer for my classroom because it does keep stuff stuck together better than some other brands. (So, duh on me, wanting it to unstick quickly). I will pick up some Dritz if I decide to try this way again.
Thanks again, have to get off this computer and get some stuff done!
lots2do