Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does this even exist? >

Does this even exist?

Does this even exist?

Old 08-22-2015, 10:21 PM

Default Does this even exist?

I am wanting to make my daughter who rides dressage, a form of English riding, a quilt of a dressage ring. I want to use a neutral batik jelly roll so it will look like sand footing in the ring. So white is too white and brown is too dark. I'm wanting to find like ecru to a light tannish. Well... Sand color. I thought the batiks would give it some texture but I'm having a hard time finding what I'm wanting. I guess if I can't find the batik, I'll use cotton with very small print.

I'm just wondering if what I'm wanting is even made? Has anyone had this issue? I would love for the main part of the quilt to resemble sand as much as possible.

Anyone have any any ideas what company makes this or any ideas on how I can achieve this look? I would be so grateful for any help/suggestions. This is a Christmas present for my daughter but since this is a design I have come up with just in my head and on paper I want to start working on it ASAP in case I come upon issues!!

TIA!!!
Old 08-22-2015, 10:31 PM

I'm sure somewhere there is a sandy coloured fabric. Try a google search . Just did a search but all locations were UK based and no use to you, I'm assuming USA .
Old 08-22-2015, 10:42 PM

I have a few fabrics that look like sand. You can usually find things like that in the areas that a store has fabrics that resemble things like brick, wood, grass, pebbles... If they have a section like that.

If you can't find anything, perhaps you could coffee stain an ecru-ish batik. Get a stiff paint brush, shake off most of the coffee into a pail, then hold the brush in one hand, and tap it down on your other hand to spray the fabric. If you don't shake off most of the coffee, the spots will be bigger. Then Iron the fabric with a floursack cloth over the top so you don't smear it. Not sure how else to set it.
Old 08-23-2015, 12:33 AM

I found a jelly roll but the photo is a side picture of it rolled up so I have no idea what the fabric would look like.

FiveseveN- thanks for the tip. I have scrapbooked a few years back and used that method. I didn't even think about a coffee type staining process. Will have to try that if I can't find something already made.

I'm so excited about my idea. I just hope that when it comes to fruition that it will look as I've imagined it!!!
Old 08-23-2015, 12:37 AM

DOTTYMO- yes I am in the U.S.
Old 08-23-2015, 12:38 AM

Try Stonehenge range http://www.stonehengefabrics.com/ ....this offers you a range of colors the other name i could think of was Bali pops by hoffman....

http://www.fatquartershop.com/hoffma...offman-fabrics

Last edited by kindleaddict63; 08-23-2015 at 12:41 AM.
Old 08-23-2015, 12:43 AM

Hoffman fabrics makes tons of beautiful batiks and I have seen many that would work for sand.
Old 08-23-2015, 02:40 AM

Elizabeths Studios makes a sand -look cotton in their Landscape Medley Collection.
Sandy ( no pun intended)
Old 08-23-2015, 03:10 AM

There are tons of sand/tan/beige colored batiks available, but I don't know if they come as pre-cut strips. Is that critical to you for some reason? Try Hancock's of Paducah and search their batiks by color.

Your quilt idea sounds like a real winner. My daughter also rides (and judges) dressage. She learned how to quilt just so she could make her own schooling pads and blankets.
Old 08-23-2015, 03:52 AM

Check out Connecting Threads batiks. They have a beigey mottled look that I used a year or so ago.