Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sampler quilts - - - >

Sampler quilts - - -

Sampler quilts - - -

Old 09-02-2015, 07:48 AM
Power Poster

Default Sampler quilts - - -

Do you have any preferences about them?

Like using the same colors - or colors from the same color families - for all the blocks?

Or the same grid - or all even or all odd grids?

Or the same "type" of block (like all stars or all drunkard's path units, for examples)?

Or - are you an "anything and everything goes" sampler quilt person?

I have seen some "anything and everything" tops that are stunning with great settings -

For myself - I would want the same colors, on the same grid, with the same "type" of block - which sounds kind of boring - but something I would be comfortable with. I like to see how many variations I can get out of a limited theme. I also think the blocks would be easier to arrange/set if all the backgrounds were similar - not necessarily matching, but all light or all dark or all shades of medium pink, for examples -
Old 09-02-2015, 08:15 AM

Sometimes I like 'same' quilts.....its predictability is soothing.
And other times I like quilts with different block-sizes....
What I like the most is that since I started quilting 5yrs ago, I have not been bored with any quilt!!
Old 09-02-2015, 08:46 AM

I love sampler quilts. I'm using up all my scraps. I make each block the same size but the colors are whatever grabs me when I look at the block. Of course, some of my sampler quilts look like the dog threw up his lunch but they're bright and cheerful. I try to tie in all the colors with basic sashings and cornerstones and borders.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:08 AM
Power Poster

Depends on the sampler. I have made one that was all the same fabrics throughout and all 12 finished blocks done in a standard setting with sashing, no cornerstones. Then I made one out of batik block swap blocks, all different fabrics. The swap blocks were all 12" but I mixed in 6" blocks and 6 x 12 blocks, no sashing, no borders. I have a FWS on my bucket list and I plan on making it scrappy but using all civil war repros. So I guess I have no preferences when it comes to samplers except that I really like most that I see.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:09 AM

I've never done one, but am interested in everyone's thoughts on the subject...incase I do get that far.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:11 AM
Power Poster

i'm not a big fan of samplers... but prefer a homogenous look by colors and grid.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:19 AM

I love sampler quilts. But I find that they take much longer to complete. Each block must be analyzed--is it the right design, which fabrics should be used and which placement will be most harmonious. I find myself working on a sampler over a period of months and even years, using it as a break between other projects. I prefer a mixture of block styles altho try to keep to a uniform size--as you can see with my black/red/white top that I posted earlier in the year. http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...s-t261559.html

I am currently working on a scrappy 9 patch--again using it as relaxation between other projects.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:26 AM

Sampler quilts are my favorite. I use the same colors through out the quilt, every block a different pattern(block style). Sometimes, different sizes. They are all different. I have used the same, block, using different fabrics for each block. Always a challenge at my house. Usually the bigger the challenge the better. I grew up being told I could not do things out of the ordinary, so I guess I am rebelling. It is my quilt and I can do what I want at 70. Do you think I will ever grow up? Hopefully not
Old 09-02-2015, 09:29 AM
Power Poster

I'm not a fan, however, I just bought a pattern for a Christmas themed one, so maybe I'm changing my mind...
Old 09-02-2015, 03:07 PM

I have a small one on my wall.

I used whatever fabric would suit the block.

Like the roof on a Madison House might have fabric that looks like shingles.

A tree would have a brown trunk and green leaves.

Aside from that, all I really care about on a sampler is the blocks being the same size.