Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you sew with friends? >

Do you sew with friends?

Do you sew with friends?

Old 09-18-2015, 04:56 AM

I belong to a small (6) group and we get together once a month at one of the girl's quilting space (a converted chicken house). We have show & tell, share ideas and a treat. Once or twice a year we get together and have a sew day. It's held at one of the girl's church basement (a little country church). Once in a while we have it at one of our houses which we are doing tomorrow. We each bring whatever project we are working on - we bring our sewing machines and anything else we might need.The host provides the iron, ironing board and a cutting area. Then we each just do our own thing. We have potluck for lunch and coffee times. I've learned not to work on a complex project since we have too much fun just chit chatting. I have a project all cut out and ready to sew blocks for tomorrow. I really look forward to these sewing days.
Old 09-18-2015, 05:16 AM

There are 4-6 of us that get together twice a week to sew. We each have our own sewing station and work on our own, but there is always someone new if I need help or another opinion. We meet at our clubhouse in our gated community. Works great!

Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
Do any of you sew/piece with friends at their homes? I love to sew in my "playhouse" and have everything set up to spend hours and hours of time in there. I think I was in there 5 hours yesterday (even got take-out pizza and ate in there)!!!

My friend wants to get together to sew (maybe once/month or twice/month) and rotate houses. I am wondering if any of you do this and if you have any suggestions or thoughts to consider. I have only sewn with others at a class I took once......I ended up not really getting any of my part done because I was helping my other friends and I kind of just "gave up" doing mine because I knew I wasn't able to focus.

I really enjoy the whole process....and I try to do my best all the time...so if I make a mistake, I take out, etc. But, I also need to concentrate.........so, do I take something that doesn't require alot of thought (like string quilting, etc.)?

I believe the purpose is to help her start working on projects and getting stuff done....in addition to some "friend time".

Please let me know if you've done this, how you do it (one presses, one sews, etc.) and any other suggestions you'd offer to help me make this a successful outing for me and my friend.

Thanks! Nora
Old 09-18-2015, 05:29 AM

I have gotten together with quilting friends - we actually go get some quilting done, but mostly it becomes a learning curve for some of us, there is always a better way of doing things, in a small group, it's easy to ask and be shown new methods - then their's always food and drink around that goes with chatting - Lots of fun!!
Old 09-18-2015, 05:47 AM

I have never got together with anyone to sew because I don't know anyone that even sews. I have done it by myself so many years that I think I would much rather sew by myself. Now just to get together with a friend to help her out I would gladly do that. It would be fun to get together & chat, sew or whatever. Just a little "friend time".
Old 09-18-2015, 05:52 AM

Yup! Once a week with my DDIL and her friend mostly at her house which is next door to mine. I have the longarm so we can run over easily if anything need quilting. Love it! Then once a month or so with a small group of 6 of us & rotate houses & BYOLunch!
Old 09-18-2015, 05:52 AM

I sew with 3 other friends about once a month. We each bring something for lunch. Simple things like chicken salad, fruit, cookies. I have found that I can get thing accomplished if I have already cut the pieces and simply sew components together to make blocks. It's just not the place to attempt something new. The hostess sets up the iron and cutting board an provides the meat or soup of the day. Everyone is so busy, no one has time to look to see if the house is clean. We do limit the group to 4 because that's how many fits around our dining room tables. It's fun.
Old 09-18-2015, 06:03 AM

A grade school mate and I sew every Wed morning at my house or the Senior Center. We have added a friend who wants to learn to quilt. We catch up on family and get sewing done too. It has been gratifying helping a new person learn to sew and seeing her succeed. Now we are adding another person next month.
Old 09-18-2015, 06:03 AM

I like to do my quilting alone in my own space where I know where everything is. I have done quilt guilds and found I was always joining the group on a project which I really didn't want to do just to be sociable. Have been involved in some group projects which still make me cringe. Just because it is for charity it doesn't mean that a quilt should be made out of fabric that should have been thrown away. No new mom wants to wrap her baby in a brown/gray ugly quilt. I know ugly is in the eyes of the beholder but I think you can imagine what I mean. I was once asked to deliver a whole pile of quilts to the local support group for unmarried moms. I went through that pile and pulled out some for the animal shelter which is just where I delivered them! Can't be cheap and charitable at the same time! I do like to make quilts out of old dress shirts and they can come out very nice. My quilts to Project Linus are not masterpieces, but I can't donate junk which is where I ended up many times with a group. I got a bit off subject here but my experiences with quilt guilds have been mostly negative.
Old 09-18-2015, 06:36 AM

Before I moved, my sister, a girl friend from high school and I used to sew every Monday afternoon/evening. Sometimes we cooked dinner sometimes we ordered out. We were sewing little dresses for a charity and always had a good time. But I have moved and while I have very nice friends/neighbors and we get together to play cards and games not one of them sews or is the least bit interested in sewing. Alas I miss my sewing friends and the fun we had.
Old 09-18-2015, 06:59 AM

The girls at my 'every Wednesday' church quilt group are some of my best friends. We laugh, we confide, we share each other's troubles. I am so blessed to have found this group.