Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
I take my Featherweight interesting places! >

I take my Featherweight interesting places!

I take my Featherweight interesting places!

Old 09-21-2015, 05:54 AM

Default I take my Featherweight interesting places!

Where do you take your Featherweight?
Attached Thumbnails img_1637.jpg  
Old 09-21-2015, 07:15 AM

Mine went on a trip with me recently to San Diego. I had to go to a conference for work but I'm not into partying so I bonded with my FW in the evenings instead. My hotel room looked out on the Gaslamp district - I had fun sewing and people-watching! (And had a much clearer head than anybody else the next morning, LOL)
Old 09-21-2015, 12:57 PM

What a great picture! I don't take mine anywhere as I don't go anywhere,lol. However, I love the picture.

I hope you don't mind, I pinned that to my Pinterest "sewing machine" board. Never thought to ask first, sorry.

Last edited by sewbeadit; 09-21-2015 at 01:05 PM.
Old 09-21-2015, 01:55 PM

No problem! It just means she's out on another adventure! She did enjoy the Outer Banks the year I took her to the beach!
Originally Posted by sewbeadit View Post
What a great picture! I don't take mine anywhere as I don't go anywhere,lol. However, I love the picture.

I hope you don't mind, I pinned that to my Pinterest "sewing machine" board. Never thought to ask first, sorry.
Old 09-22-2015, 04:35 AM

I think I've been bit with the "have to have" a Featherweight bug but am trying to fight it. I don't "need" it - just want one. I sewed on one this past weekend and they do sew nice and are so cute but I can't justify buying one at the prices they go for. If I could "find" one at a thrift store, etc. I wouldn't hesitate a second. Oh well.
Old 09-22-2015, 04:37 AM
Power Poster

I wish I had one. You need everything to be miniaturized when on a boat.
Old 09-22-2015, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by Karamarie View Post
I think I've been bit with the "have to have" a Featherweight bug but am trying to fight it. I don't "need" it - just want one. I sewed on one this past weekend and they do sew nice and are so cute but I can't justify buying one at the prices they go for. If I could "find" one at a thrift store, etc. I wouldn't hesitate a second. Oh well.
You sound like me. I resisted, and resisted, and resisted...then played with one and it was all over! I risked buying one on eBay and got lucky, my machine is worn but solid. I love its little tick-ticky sound as it stitches.

I still dream of finding another for dirt cheap somewhere, though. Maybe even a white or beige one (although I really prefer the classic black).
Old 09-22-2015, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by Debd View Post
Where do you take your Featherweight?
I made a post back in June of 2011 about my wife taking her Featherweight Sewing Machine to Quilt Classes strapped onto the back of her motorcycle, but the thread quickly turned into a “Helmet-No Helmet” argument. I don’t see any Life Jackets in your photo, so I hope you don’t get blasted like I did. We parked our motorcycles last year and don’t ride them any longer. They need major repairs. We turned them into “yard ornaments” until we decide what to do with them.

In the mean time, my wife takes her electric Featherweight with her on most vacation trips in the car or truck, especially if there’s a wedding taking place at the destination. She used it the motel room this summer when we took a 4-day leisurely drive through central Texas (no weddings). I take my non-electric Featherweight with me when we go to Quilt Shows as a vendor, and piece quilt blocks with it to pass the time while she manages the booth. I had my Featherweight with me on the Texas trip, but never got around to using it. I had too much fun with the remote control going through the channels on the cable TVs (we haven’t had cable or satellite TV for years).

CD in Oklahoma
Old 09-22-2015, 07:21 AM

I just knew I did not need a FW, but now that I am into writing a beginning quilter/history book, I had to have one. I have to say I am really enjoying it and just finished my first top on it. Keep looking and when it pops up at the right price you will be ready.
Old 09-22-2015, 08:27 PM

If you find one with decent paint and decals for under $200 grab it no matter what. They are beautiful fun little machines to have. I use mine for quilt piecing and general sewing projects. I've found them in the wild and at antique malls. I've bought, fixed up and sold a few over the past 6 years or so. In my area, the price has gone up for them on the most part. Tuff to find one less than $300 in my area now. Most people are asking $350-$450