Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Gammill Statler vs Innova AutoPilot >

Gammill Statler vs Innova AutoPilot

Gammill Statler vs Innova AutoPilot

Old 09-28-2015, 09:40 AM

Smile Gammill Statler vs Innova AutoPilot

Hi there! This is my first post and I am in the process of getting my first long arm. My question to you is, which would you go with.... the Gammill Statler, or the Innova Autopilot. I am looking at the 26" models and just cannot decide. I want to be able to use the computer as well as free motion myself. Any thoughts and insight would be appreciated. Thank you!
Old 09-28-2015, 09:47 AM
Power Poster

HI and welcome to the board. There may not be many who have experience on both brands, so you aren't going to get many comparisons. Can you visit both dealers an actually use the machines? Another option is a large quilt show where you can try all the machines. This is probably your best option to decide. You want to see how the machine moves and also see how user friendly the computer driven programs are. Also, you probably want to consider how much after sales support you are going to get from the 2 dealers. Free classes? In home set up? etc.

Last edited by PaperPrincess; 09-28-2015 at 09:49 AM.
Old 09-28-2015, 09:56 AM

If I go with Gammill I will be able to have classes, which is great, but with Innova I would have to travel out of state and miss a few days of work, so that can add up fast! The Gammill computer system seems so simple to use. I was able to load a quilt and do 2 rows of quilting in under an hour when I went to test drive it. Its crazy how fast it goes. But I hear that the Innova is just super smooth with a great stitch regulator. I guess I am just nervous about making the wrong decision.
Old 09-28-2015, 10:06 AM

I have the innova autopilot and love it. I had never used one before this. It is super easy to learn to use, only one place to oil, and 24/7 support. I live 2 hours from my dealer, but she's only a phone call or email away in addition to ABMs fantastic support. And they do get right back to you.
Old 09-28-2015, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Misty's Mom View Post
I have the innova autopilot and love it. I had never used one before this. It is super easy to learn to use, only one place to oil, and 24/7 support. I live 2 hours from my dealer, but she's only a phone call or email away in addition to ABMs fantastic support. And they do get right back to you.
Do you free motion on it at as well? I would love to hear what you love about the machine. and if you would change anything
Old 09-28-2015, 10:54 AM

I mainly use the autopilot. I plan to learn FMQ better. When the machine is disconnected from the belts, it is so easy to use, it seems like it's weightless.
Old 09-28-2015, 11:19 AM
Power Poster

I FMQ on my Innova. I do not have Autopilot and the only computer I have is the regular stitch regulator, not the lightening stitch.

I think you need to make a list of pros and cons and what your ultimate use of the machine is. Do you plan on quilting for hire? Do you want to make show quilts? Or are you just getting this for your own use?

I have found that many who go computerized right away do have a tendency to be "afraid" to FMQ without computer assistance so they tend to focus on just digital operation of the machine thinking their work is sub-par because they can't execute designs as perfectly as the computer. This is true. My feather back tracks aren't always perfect, string of pearls circles vary in size and lopsidedness, when quilting multiples of the same motif I will have human variances when quilting from one to the next. But I embrace this and consider it part of the art. If you want to see examples of my work simply click my name, go to my profile and view topics I have started in the Pictures forum.
Old 09-28-2015, 11:40 AM
Power Poster

I don't have either machine but, from years of trying out machines at quilt shows and also following Yahoo groups, I am pre-sold on the Innova. Innova is my "dream machine". If you join the two Innova groups and ask, I think you will find quilters who have used other systems (including Gammill) who will compare (and the Innova always seems to come out way ahead). Here are links to the two Innova Yahoo groups:
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/innovalongarm/info
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/innova_longarm/info
(One group is owned and moderated by Innova; the other is owned simply by users. Never can remember which is which. Lots of people post on both groups.)

Do you really need robotics? My suggestion would be to get the Innova with lightning stitch, work on your free-motion skills, and add robotics later only if you think it will really be useful to you. The only reason I would get robotics is (1) if I were quilting as a business, or (2) had a physical disability that prevented me from working at the frame for a couple of hours at a time.
Old 09-28-2015, 02:59 PM
Power Poster

I think Prism has a good idea to wait for robotics, if you don't really need them to start. I also have the Innova, 26" with standard SR, no robotics, and I'm extremely happy with it. The 24/7 phone support is awesome, and I've never needed to have on-site support. I even took my frame apart in Oregon and put it back together in California with only a little help from my son. I've been using my machine for my own work (and quilts for friends) so far. Now that I'm starting quilting for others, I'm thinking about adding MQR (instead of AP), but I'm glad that I've had the practice with free motion quilting first.
Old 09-28-2015, 07:58 PM

I have a Gammill 26" stitch regulator (no Statler) and also have the 26" Innova Autopilot. My daughter and I both quilt on the machines. I would not want to be without either machine-they are both great. However, as far as free motion quilting, the Innova is so much lighter and therefore easier to move than the Gammill. So, in my opinion, if you plan to do a lot of free-motion the Innova is the better choice. You've narrowed your choices down to what I consider the two best machines on the market. Go to a quilt show and try them both for ease of free-motion then make your choice.