Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Going price of Featherweight machines??? >

Going price of Featherweight machines???

Going price of Featherweight machines???

Old 09-29-2015, 06:14 AM

Default Going price of Featherweight machines???

A friend of mine is a retired Singer repairman and he has given me a Featherweight he has restored for me to try out. I feel like if I buy it I am getting one in good condition and he will make adjustments on it as needed. What is the going price on a Featherweight? Most likely he will "under charge" me and I want to give him a fair price if I decide to buy it.
Old 09-29-2015, 06:18 AM

selling by someone who knows what they have and are willing to wait, 3-400 dollars
found by perchance, sometimes 10-20.00.
Some of the repainted ones go 600-1000.00
And I've seen a few standard ones go for 1000.00 on ebay over the years.

Anything is worth what you are willing to pay and the buyer is willing to accept.
Personally, my featherweight is my least favorite machine.

Getting to work with it first is a wonderful thing.
Old 09-29-2015, 08:46 AM
Power Poster

Around here I think they sit on CL for around $300 or more.

I agree, one of my least favorite machines.
Old 09-29-2015, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Around here I think they sit on CL for around $300 or more.

I agree, one of my least favorite machines.
I was beginning to think I was a crazy person for failing to see what was so attractive about these machines. A friend of mine just a few minutes ago offered to give me the one she has (and has never used) that was her mother's machine and I turned it down (don't worry, she is not getting rid of it to someone else).

OTOH, I am off tomorrow to pick up a 301A because that has much more appeal to me than the tiny FWs do. I think it is the quilter in me wanting the bigger harp space and feeling cramped in a FW.
Old 09-29-2015, 09:54 AM
Power Poster

Location matters, some areas get a lot more $$ for items than others. From what I've seen the past couple years feather weights on the market ( average) between $300 & $500 depending on condition, case condition, attachments included... Sometimes someone finds one for less, sometimes someone is willing to pay a lot more.
Old 09-29-2015, 09:59 AM

I'd say try it out. You might be pleasantly surprised. I've heard of people loving them for piecing. If you still don't care for it, it will confirm your lack of desire. Be fair (honest) in your words of evaluation , whatever that may be. Around here people are getting (250-400 depending on condition and area-- they get more around Northern VA/DC, a bit less in MD and PA). If you don't want it, it is not worth a dime to you. If you kind of like it but think it might sit around a lot, tell him it's only worth x to you ($100). It might be someone else's dream machine and they pay a higher price.
Old 09-29-2015, 10:04 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
. . .

Anything is worth what you are willing to pay and the buyer is willing to accept. . . .
That really is the bottom line.
Old 09-29-2015, 12:42 PM

There are lots of factors involved when valuing a machine. Most of them have been mentioned here already. I rationalize it like this:

Trying to estimate what the machine would cost if it was in production today is one way to view it. These machine are quite high quality and if they adjust well to the needs in 2015 this factor is high. It's easy to keep it running in good condition (parts and extras are available). In general, used goes for at least half price of new. There aren't anything similarly built with cast aluminium body and forged steel gears and hinges. What does the top quality light weights currently in production cost?

The other is the vintage factor, and they are a trendy in some circles and very sought after. They are cute little machines of an era gone by, and they are no longer in production. It certainly has upped the prices of this model the last 10 years.

Condition matters a lot too. I would prefer original paint and decals to repaints, even if they look like brand new and very professionally done. They look fun in different colors and patterns, but for me it doesn't up my interest or value in them.

The ones that go for lots of money are usually in hardly used condition and with lots of extra accessories. I have seen them go for equvalent of 180 dollars quite often on UK sites, usually signs of use and age, often need a bit of work to get going again, but generally not in bad condition. The 222 model usually fetch a higher price. Some sellers I know have lowered the price when they know buyer will take good care of it, really can't afford spending too much, and appreciate the machine a lot. The marked for them isn't really large, it's just this little gem gets lots of adoration these days
:- )

I like the Featherweight, it's just I would end up sewing on full size machines like my 201 and my newly aquired Elna Supermatic most of the time. It's only on occation I actually need a portable machine. People are different though, some work very well in miniature settings, others are more full size oriented

Last edited by Mickey2; 09-29-2015 at 12:54 PM.
Old 09-29-2015, 02:00 PM

Going rate in my market tends to be $250 and up. I don't see too many at $250 and they seem to disappear from C List fast. Your OSMG probably already knows what they sell for if he's been active with sewing machines at all recently.
Rodney
Old 09-29-2015, 02:42 PM

I like using my featherweight - her stitches are precise and she sounds like a waterfall when she's stitching.

You should do a little research on prices by looking on ebay to get a better idea of what they are selling for in different areas. Don't just look at the asking prices but also the sold prices by using the advance search.

Guess it all comes down to supply and demand - they are very popular here. In my area, the average for Singer 221s in good, cosmetic condition is usually about $350. If the finish and decals are more worn they can be found for $250 - $300. The free arm Singer 222s, if you can find them, in good, cosmetic condition go for at least $3000 - $2000 and those that are showing more wear are $2000 - $1500.