Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Which Machine is best? >

Which Machine is best?

Which Machine is best?

Old 10-01-2015, 10:51 PM

Default Which Machine is best?

Hi
Im looking to buy a new sewing/quilting/embroidery machine. I have narrowed it down to three, the Brother Dream Machine, the Babylock Destiny or the Janome Horizon MC 15000v2. If you own any of these machines, can you share your pros and cons. I just sold my Bernina 830 for way less than I paid. I had a bad experience with it and my dealer and Bernina. So I want to make sure I do a little research this time. There are different things I like about each of these. I found a great dealer two hours away who sells all three. I'd appreciate any input!
Old 10-02-2015, 02:36 AM
Gay

The best machine is the one that has all the features you need, and you feel most comfortable using. I have 2 earlier Brothers and love them both, but the pre-owned Pfaff CV I bought last year has one great feature positioning embroideries that I don't think other machines have, so will keep it for that alone.
I watched several youtube videos on all three on your list. Couldn't find much info on the Janome, which is a shame, as I love the easy pop-up needle plate (no screws to battle with) It only takes up half the width due to the embroidery arm fitting on the back, and I like their dual-feed foot. The Dream and Destiny machines seem to have a lot more features, and similar. I think they are the same machine, made by different companies.
If it were me, I would spend a few hours (maybe not all at once) at the dealers' having thorough demonstrations on all of them.
Do let us know what you end up with.
Old 10-02-2015, 03:11 AM

The one you will use and love! I love my Janome 9900 sew/embroidery. Mid priced. I cannot spend almost 10k on a machine. Seems like overkill for my needs and wants. And my budget. Have fun comparing.

Sandy
Old 10-02-2015, 03:39 AM

Spend some time sewing on them and pick the one that feels right. They are all good machines. You won't go wrong with any of them. I have a 13 year old Bernina that is awesome still. It is such a shame that Bernina machines aren't what they used to be.
Old 10-02-2015, 04:04 AM

I have the Destiny, wonderful machine. There are so many features, it is overwhelming. I purchased mine last fall at the "preview". I took the beginning classes offered by the dealer. Our summers is our busiest time, I was unable to take more classes. I asked about some training on a few features, so the dealer is now offering more classes.
Make sure your dealer offers continuous classes or training by appointment. I purchased a high end machine from another dealer several years ago. Now, I had previously purchased several machines from them over a course of 25 years, but this was a huge difference in machine features. I got 2 classes. Their reasoning?, I knew so much about the previous machines, I was intelligent enough to figure this one out. Your dealer is you first options to choose.

The Destiny is a great machine. It is so quiet when it sews. I use embroidery software, but find the added feature of in-the -machine "digitizing (basic)" to be pretty interesting. That was the class I attended yesterday. Many more steps to do the project in the machine that at the computer and using my Floriani software, but good to know, since these are steps that are used in other processes. I cannot say enough good things about this machine. It truly is a a wonderful machine. Baby Lock is a company that listens to its customers. I (and others) purchased the trolley system and are not satisfied. I contacted Baby Lock and received a response within hours. They area being very helpful with me and my dealer to resolve the issue.

Sit down in the store with fabrics you brought and play with the machine. Spend some time and make sure you ask questions. Ask them to show you features that you think are the most important to you. Mine was the Scanning feature that scans your fabrics and then allows you to stipple around your embroidery design. The other was the Touch pen and how it works with decorative stitches. If they do not want to let you play, and ask questions, you may wish to find another dealer.

The Brand company, your dealer and you, are what is going to make your purchase of a machine important....no matter what brand you buy.
Old 10-02-2015, 05:08 AM
Power Poster

The best machine is what works best for you which has the options that you want and need. I don't have an embroidery machine but I am still quilting on my Bernina 1530 that I have had no problems with since the early 90s.
Old 10-02-2015, 10:26 PM

Destiny and dream are the same features so for me it would depend on the dealer, everyone raves about them. I think the technology on it surpasses the 15000 but their dual feed is very different so if accufeed is of more interest than the muvit foot you might want to go that route. Brothers are the easiest to learn and use. Also nothing beats that camera for embroidery. I have used it at many events and its a wonderful feature if you do a ton of embroidery
Old 10-03-2015, 05:09 AM

I see you are close to me, I live just south of you on theborder in Pa. I go to Pocono Sew n Vac in Stroudsburg for my machines. I have three Janomes and love them all. They have a big assortment of machiines and would let you try all of them out. So many features you really need to sew on them and get what works best for you. They are very friendly and compatent about there products. Good luck in what ever you choose
Old 10-04-2015, 12:19 PM

The best machine is the one you bond with. The one where it seems intuitive to you to do all the different functions. Since we all think differently, you may be better off than with what you choose than choosing something a friend recommends. Take the machines for a test drive at the store first. [Hint: I used to teach math.]

One of my machines has lots of stitches and yet I don't use most of them. Stitches are a selling point, not necessarily a buying point.
Old 10-04-2015, 02:46 PM

I don't have the Dream Machine, but I do have the Dreamweaver XE6200D and I love it! It's a sewing, quilting, and embroidery machine. It has so many gizmos I haven't even used yet, but I've only had it for about six months. It sews like a dream and the embroidery is beautiful. [ATTACH=CONFIG]532541[/ATTACH] Good luck on whatever you choose!!! ��
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg